CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Underwhelming merch sales is an expected effect with films that carry the "bomb" stigma. Hulk and TASM2 come to mind. Anedoctal yes, but just an observation.

So one pic from one dude (and one that leaps to a particular conclusion) now constitutes "underwhelming merchandise sales"? And you have the temerity to use this in the same post asking why we can't all discuss this like adults?

Adults don't search Twitter for movie hashtags looking for arguments to bolster their opinion about a movie featuring dudes in spandex punching each other. Rational people have a reaction what they watched and they move on. What's happening on our forums (and elsewhere) is basically the equivalent of angry teenage shippers flipping out over people who ship different couples. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

Except back when Batman Returns came out even movies with "mixed" receptions could get almost a 4x multi. It would be fascinating to see the reactions from critics and audiences if Batman Returns came out now. It doesn't have any of the crowdpleasing elements of modern superhero movies, but it also has more artistic vision and depth in one scene than most comic book movies released in the last 10 years have in their whole running time.

I'm afraid it would flop hard. The movie Idiocracy pretty much hit the nail on the head. Our society seems to get dumber every year. People can't sit still for 5 seconds in a movie theater. Gotta dick around in the smart phone. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Noctis said:

@GiantCALBears I'll be completely honest...my interest in box office rankings dropped hugely last year as I focused on other things in my life. But I'll never lie...whenever there's a chance to be smug about Potter, I'll take that fucking opportunity.

No franchise will ever rival Potter's runs.

• Like 2

Rewatched TMTN today and had this on repeat:

Forgot how fun that movie was. TMTN2, X-Men and Independence Day will be the only movies I'll see in theaters till October (Inferno). Can't wait to see Fox's ass in glorious IMAX 3D.:lol:

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

So one pic from one dude (and one that leaps to a particular conclusion) now constitutes "underwhelming merchandise sales"? And you have the temerity to use this in the same post asking why we can't all discuss this like adults?

Adults don't search Twitter for movie hashtags looking for arguments to bolster their opinion about a movie featuring dudes in spandex punching each other. Rational people have a reaction what they watched and they move on. What's happening on our forums (and elsewhere) is basically the equivalent of angry teenage shippers flipping out over people who ship different couples. 

You need some granny's peach tea? peach teacup without handle

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm afraid it would flop hard. The movie Idiocracy pretty much hit the nail on the head. Our society seems to get dumber every year. People can't sit still for 5 seconds in a movie theater. Gotta dick around in the smart phone. 

Oh man, I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane on a weekday. There were only like 5-6 people in the theater. Someone in front of me could not get off their phone during what were tense dialogue scenes. Like seriously? Is this movie that boring to you...I had to keep blocking off their phone with my hand so I wouldn't see it.

• Like 1

I reeally want to see this because of the uproar over it but money is reeeeally tight for me right now.  Might wait for a bootleg :ph34r:

But one of my friends just saw it and said its "probably the most baffling big studio release hes seen in the last 10 years" and that "almost nothing about it works"

Yeah, I really want to this.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

By that logic I can vouch for the rest of the world that we like fast cars and beer more than space operas. :) 

The Earth loves iProducts more than anything. Fast cars and beers are no match for it. :P 

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

In also wouldn't sy I prefer one studio over the other. You guys are weird

I guess I "trust" I'll like it more. Idk. Funny thing tho, all of my family members' favorite movies are all Paramount.

2 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Well, @nilephelan said that it's supposed to be $80m, not $82m. I've seen estimatives going down like he predicted enough to believe he does have some inside info.

With that said, $82m would mean a $54,3m Friday for BvS. Fast 7 had a $51,6m Friday, with $15,8m previews. If it's $80m and WB fudge it, BvS was awfully close to F7's Friday, what shows in my opinion that the effects of the negative buzz is already in effect. I expect it to get even worse this Saturday and Sunday.

Previews: $27.7m

Friday: $54.3m

Saturday: $47m

Sunday: $31m

$160m OW

It might be a legit $82m, not completely doubting it, but Warner Bros. is sometimes more odd than others with estimates.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Oh my god dude, just accept that not everyone loves your movie. It got a B cinemascore, it's 73% on RT. It's got a very mixed word of mouth.

There's no Smear campaign, pay the critics off, or whatever you think is happening. And Snyder is no god. A lot of people are really upset at him.

And there's no way you can deny that but I guess those people are all Marvel trolls or on Disneys paylist right?

Seriously man, stop.

I didn't deny that. I know there's people who hate him. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's kinda sad to see someone spending their day envying and hating someone. There are plenty of directors I don't like, and I don't go online to hate on them. Nobody sane does that. You know I'm right.

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, and the Nolan-Bat trilogy are by very fucking far the franchises I respect deeply. Each of those series rose above the conventional quality of most blockbusters and tried to address legitimate human issues. 

I was on the plane today. I saw MJ2 again, and there were scenes that no other blockbuster series today would even dare do. The two-minute sequence of Katniss being numb and walking around Snow's palace was amazing...and I have an appreciation for how they handled Prim's death. I remember being upset during my first viewing, wanting an operatic reaction to Prim's death...but after my first viewing, I deeply respect how realistic their reactions were.

MJ2's only major problem is with Peeta, but that barely constitutes for even 5% of the film...because when I watch MJ2, I'm floored by how realistic a blockbuster was. Look at every other franchise (especially superhero ones [excluding Nolan's Batman trilogy]) where everything is either good or bad...MJ2 showed just how brutal and terrible the forces you're fighting with can be. Maybe the more politically and social active members here can see the strong resemblance with the war in Syria...but to most, it would go over their heads. 

I still haven't seen mj2. Thanks for nothing.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Oh man, I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane on a weekday. There were only like 5-6 people in the theater. Someone in front of me could not get off their phone during what were tense dialogue scenes. Like seriously? Is this movie that boring to you...I had to keep blocking off their phone with my hand so I wouldn't see it.

Had two of them on either side of me yesterday doing the same thing. Ridiculous. A film like Batman Returns would struggle with the ADD crowd. Luckily it came out at the right time and was guaranteed to be a hit thanks to B89.