CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Just now, jandrew said:

Wait a minute, isn't there a Divergent movie out right now? Good lord, Lionsgate. Even a movie buff like me wasn't aware. :lol: They really shouldve saved Divergent and kept it on the shelf for a bit, or at least let the THG series finish first. They were too eager and it cost them. 

Shareholders. With Hunger Games done the shareholders wanted more "sure thing franchises", and Lionsgate said "Sure, Gods of Egypt and Allegiant will fill the hole left by Hunger Games".

Their shares have taken a big hit since those movies released.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I don't get what's so funny or fascinating about that viral video. People (namely Americans) are so easily fascinated by stupid shit. 

As your name suggests, your commentary sounds condescendingly french. No surprise.

I've seen some of your comedies. Quite fucking stupid as well.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Similar to Iron Man. Both of them also had charming actors with sketchy pasts (in different ways) who finally hit the jackpot with a franchise role. 

But there was a reason that they were already popular in one media. It shows that there's something to the characters. Very curious to see how Inhumans performs (if it ever happens) since all the titles Marvel has flooded the market with have been mostly ignored by readers.

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Wait, so nobody is getting Lego Batman with BvS? 

I got it. Easily best reaction. Huge laughs throughout it and actual applause at the end of the trailer (because AMC gives a break in between trailers)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

March has always been a been big month. 300, The Hunger Games, Alice in Wonderland. 

Yea but only fairly recently. And true, 300 was an eye-opener for Hollywood but did only $70M.

Alice opened in 2010 & HG in 2012 with $100M+ weekend. But BvS, a huge franchise, heavily marketed

mega-blockbuster you only open in the summer season made Dark Knight/Marvel-type of grosses & it confirms

the fact Hollywood doesn't need the Summer season as the only blockbuster arena.

Ghostbusters got a good reaction with decent laughs and Suicide Squad and X- Men got decent murmurs when they were done. No one cared about Deepwater Horizon, Free State of Jones, Huntsman, or War Dogs

And Fox stuck with X Men franchise that has a $240M domestic ceiling and a non-starter Fantastic Four, go for broke and released a foul mouthed Deadpool before BvS. It paid off, but I don't know how much their own jaw dropped..lol!

deadpool-poster-8.jpg

Edited by zackzack

2 hours ago, incognitoo said:

:jeb!::qotd::kitschjob:

Unfortunately, I still don't get when the use of these three is appropriate.

:sadben:

Jeb's a response to something pathetic, DeHaan's when anyone asks a question and you feel like being an asshole instead of answering, and Kitschface is when you're not sure if you like something or not

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Similar to Iron Man. Both of them also had charming actors with sketchy pasts (in different ways) who finally hit the jackpot with a franchise role. 

Yeah, but Reynolds was just seemingly a flopped actor. Downey had real personal real-life struggles, still both finally found the right role, which is a great thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The first Greek Wedding had such an inauspicious start. 5k PTA on 100 screens http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=mybigfatgreekwedding.htm

It was above 1M for 40 straight weekends. The movie was (as many here have already said) the right movie at the right time. Just a year later, the sitcom crashed and burned within 6 episodes. It basically was the perfect "one moment in time" movie as it really struck a chord with people for some reason.

The closest it came to the weekend #1 position

1 N SwimFan Fox $11,326,601 - 2,856 - $3,965 $11,326,601 $10 1
2 2 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $10,372,316 -6.6% 1,695 +76 $6,119 $95,824,732 $5 21

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It was above 1M for 40 straight weekends. The movie was (as many here have already said) the right movie at the right time. Just a year later, the sitcom crashed and burned within 6 episodes. It basically was the perfect "one moment in time" movie as it really struck a chord with people for some reason.

The closest it came to the weekend #1 position

1 N SwimFan Fox $11,326,601 - 2,856 - $3,965 $11,326,601 $10 1
2 2 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $10,372,316 -6.6% 1,695 +76 $6,119 $95,824,732 $5 21

Everyone saw themselves in it. Whether Greek or Asian or Middle Eastern or w/e, everyone saw it and said "that's so us!" 

• Like 1