CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Honestly I've always been of the opinion that as long as the movie is good, whether the cast is white, black, asian, latino or a bunch of squirrels doesn't make a difference to me. If anything sort of bums me out, it's when the casting doesn't make sense in historical set pieces, but this is fantasy, they get re-interpreted all the time. Halle looks pretty nice, there's no real reason why it would have to be 1:1 the original.

...now the precedent for Disney live actions isn't great, but that has nothing to do with who they cast.

We all know Disney and Halle will have the last laugh and that this will make a boatload of money just off nostalgia alone (anyone skipping this because it has a black Ariel deserves nothing more than a "that sounds like 'you' problem"). Luckily the trailer is being warmly received so far...I imagine since that it's the only theatrical release Disney actually began promoting that it's going to be attached with The Woman King next weekend (expected given the demographic overlap).

• Like 1

Anyways feel pretty confident in this doing 400m domestic. No big family films since Mario and no real threatening competition at all this summer, if reviews are decent this should do well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

This has enough support from the black community + Disney fans to offset any negativity imo. Halle is a rising star with a lot of fans. If you go on social media the reaction is overwhelmingly positive. 

Will this be as engaging though for the black community to see as Black Panther was though?

That movie was engaging for everyone. You had kids going for wanting to be like the black heroes in the movie and dressing up like them.

Edited by Cappoedameron

I'm a white Venezuelan and my circle of friends is also mostly white. The amount of racism I've read on my socials since Disney released the trailer is insane.

I'm extremely disappointed and I want nothing to do with those people ever again.

I'm Hopeful but a Bit skeptical especially with the recent remakes the lion king and Pinocchio being shot by shot remakes. Although I like the mermaid design and Halle Bailey (Not sure if I'm pronouncing the name right haha) can sing great! Here's my reaction and review to the trailer! 

Not film twitter making long threads whining about the color grading and water effects when director said yesterday there's nothing finished yet (obviously since it still have nearly 9 months of post) 

When it looks atrocious i understand the complains but it looks fine, just unfinished.

• Like 1