kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Luckily this weekend's crop of openers being a bunch of movies that no one really cares about (Midnight Sun and Unsane are likely sub-$5M openers) should lead to strong holds for this and other movies that won't see massive screen cuts.

Possibly.  Still might clock in at 6th or 7th and then potentially worse next week.  

The prospects of this sticking rely on the next 7 days.  

• Like 2

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news again, but the numbers aren't promising.  The per theater average is still well behind where it needs to be and made less than $1m on Monday.  

Going to really now come down to Fri/Sat/Sun to show a solid hold.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news again, but the numbers aren't promising.  The per theater average is still well behind where it needs to be and made less than $1m on Monday.  

Damn was hoping it would break out, but yeah I did not realize how much of a hard sell this is. Because the closeted gay guys can't go since they don't want anyone knowing... and its only doing well(predictably) mostly in coastal cities. Do these type of movies have any chance overseas? What would be considered a success for this movie? Breaking even would be around 40M I think.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

This is a shame.

Hopefully it can leg to at least $30m US in the end. But I wish it broke out big time. 

• Sad 1

A sub- $1M Monday suggests the film is playing like a kids film as those are usually the only films to drop more than 65% on their first Monday. Do other YA films follow this same pattern?

There is undoubtedly a very passionate audience for the film. However that audience may be limited in size.

• Like 1

I really thought this would be a bit hit the trailer has 23 million views on youtube like I know trailer views don't mean that much but it had a big marketing campaign, huge social media awareness, good reviews and a PG-13 rating. I guess gay films are still too niche and limited even for a teen audience. or teens just don't go to the movies that often. 

But like honestly  Was expecting like a 20 million OW and like a final cross of like 80 million lol. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

I really thought this would be a bit hit the trailer has 23 million views on youtube like I know trailer views don't mean that much but it had a big marketing campaign, huge social media awareness, good reviews and a PG-13 rating. I guess gay films are still too niche and limited even for a teen audience. or teens just don't go to the movies that often. 

But like honestly  Was expecting like a 20 million OW and like a final cross of like 80 million lol. 

It is sad I wish this would be doing better. It gotten such a good reviews from critics and audience. The marketing was good. I guess the audience does not care about gay films. 

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Well we know what demo you're in.

#like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/halrubenstein/2018/03/20/why-you-should-go-see-love-simon/#ccdeb9889274

Forbes has published a nice commentary on the significance of the film via one man's perspective. There are some very minor spoilers in the article related to the movie's ending but they will not ruin the movie if you read the article.

One key takeaway from the piece is more anecdotal evidence of the rapturous response of audiences to the film in diverse locations throughout the US.

• Like 1

Reading the posts on here. Why is everybody too gloomy? This film opened in expectations and is doing fine so far. it has good WOM, A+ cinemascore, and good reviews. Competition is low on the next few weeks and I don't see any reason for it to have bad holds. It also opened right in line with most high school drama/comedies. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hiccup23 said:

Reading the posts on here. Why is everybody too gloomy? This film opened in expectations and is doing fine so far. it has good WOM, A+ cinemascore, and good reviews. Competition is low on the next few weeks and I don't see any reason for it to have bad holds. It also opened right in line with most high school drama/comedies. 

Direct competition? Sure.

Screen space? Noooooooope.

• Like 1

Because this thread needs some hope! 

How Love, Simon was doing at my theater 24 hours ago for $5 Tuesdays VS. how it is doing tonight. It is spring break (both college and high schools) so everybody is out to the movies in full force

Love, Simon

• 6:30pm- 69/110 sold
  • 7:15pm- 36/78 sold
  • 7:45pm- 14/78 sold

Love, Simon

• 6:30pm- SOLD OUT!  
  • 7:15pm- 89/110 sold (got upgraded to a bigger screen)
  • 7:45pm- 57/110 sold (also got upgraded)
  • 9:30pm- 18/78
Edited by Hiccup23
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

. I guess the audience does not care about gay films. 

If you go on twitter and tumblr where the LGBTQIA kids hang out, you can clearly see the passion and love of the flm. It is reaching its target audience, and a good majority of the posts are encouraging folks to go see it.