75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Wow, what a thread!

I wish I could 'order' the multiple quotes....

3 hours ago, moviesRus said:

Holidays are very kind to legs.

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Disappointing indeed but some people here need to chill out a bit. Aat least wait until the damn full Friday numbers before jumping off a bridge or laughing their ass off.

2 hours ago, misafeco said:

Guys, at least wait for the Friday number before calling FB a flop.

All of this.  Next week is Thanksgiving.  A lot of people will take the entire week off.   Why go Thursday night - or frankly, even Friday?  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the presales were for the Thanksgiving weekend when Potter fans get home from college and meet up with people they went to the original movies with or get off work for the holiday.  This isn't the same age range as the original series saw.

I happen to think $70- 75M is a very good number, with the holiday coming up.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

If they wanted a HP , they should've done it with the kids of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, with the big three making appearances as supporting characters. 

I kinda agree.  I think the magic school thing was a big part of the attraction  - it was to me.  Or they could have gone to Beaubaxtons or whatever the other school name was and done students at each, then had them meet to fight in support of Dumbledore or something.  But there is nothing to say one of the sequels couldn't take place in a school... Newt could be a professor.

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

I mean if it hits 70m that would be in line with tracking; plus the holidays will give it a buffer. 150m is all but assured with as much as 200m. For a Harry Potter spin off thats pretty good, so I don't understand the meltdowns.

This.

28 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Anecdotal I know, but the IMAX showing for 7pm tonight is actually about 20% fuller than it was at this point yesterday.  Not far from being sold out (my showing last night at 7 was probably 75-80% full).

Friday is a better time for me to see a movie than Thursday, I'm sure it is with many.  I think the urgency to see the movie the instant it comes out is different, because these particular characters don't have a following yet.  But this movie looks like a success in terms of building a franchise to me.  Harry Potter and Star Wars both are like lightning striking. You can try to capture it again, but until you open you don't know if you've succeeded.  WB just wishes all of its movies started so badly.  I think if people hadn't built it up so high more people would agree.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The more I think about this movie, the more I think a few simple reworkings in the screenplay and fleshing out of last act as opposed lingering on the beasts would've possibly made it an outstanding movie. It's frustrating one for me no doubt.

At least we know the direction of the sequel. 

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Don't you think this is still going to be enormous internationally?  Looks that way.

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Yeah... I just wish Rowling and Co. had a better grasp on the direction of this one at the outset. They seemed to finally figure it out in last act and hurriedly threw together a conclusion, a conclusion I found satisfying though. I'm serious, just another rewrite or two and this could've been great. Of course, this is all my opinion. I'd like to discuss things I may have missed, etc. with folks that were either more attentive or received it better than I did in the review thread but it's pretty dead over there for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Don't you think this is still going to be enormous internationally?  Looks that way.

I don't care what others are saying, I think $750M is happening is WW. I guess others more in the know are saying it'll likely get a number closer to $600M. But, I'm not buying that...

• Like 1

I'm not too bothered by these numbers. This isn't Potter....and there's barely any connection to the Potter series. Albus Dumbledore strongly argued against your expulsion??? That's how we're going to market this film? Of course the fanbase isn't excited. Nobody cares about Newt Scamander, the plot looked incredibly weak from the trailers and it just felt like a ridiculous attempt from WB to keep on milking this franchise. The characters of the Potter verse were always the major draw....and this is more clear than ever now. I'm not saying this film should have never been approved. It's a fine film...not great....but it will please us die hard HP fans. But to expect the majority of the Potter fanbase to rally behind this was pretty unrealistic. The fact that this could make nearly 200m DOM is actually quite impressive considering the fact that there is zero connection to Potter. If WB really wanted to milk the franchise they would have made an effort to understand what made the series so special in the first place....and bring those elements into the spinoff. The adventure's of an author who wrote one of Harry's textbooks was always a bad idea. I love JK but come on...this was a story no one was asking for. And the box office will reflect this.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Yes, the next insanity biased people will come up with, I can imagine that

The sad thing is, at least some gusts seem to take posts like that as true and ~ repost / pick up on it elsewhere

haha yeah, just to clarify this was a joke and more like an insider thing we had on a Moana thread. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

This weekend is all about Manchester By The Sea anyway. 

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/manchester-by-the-sea

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/manchester_by_the_sea/

manchester-by-the-sea-poster-e1475450960

Too bad it's limited this weekend.  It's not even playing anywhere accessible in Toronto.  It's one film I definitely want to see.