CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

• Like 2

Okay, time flies by they say, fast paced they say, rich characters and captivating they say. Whom to believe i say lol

Anyway, overall i'm happy with the responses the movie is getting. Can't wait!

Edited by Elessar

6 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

I'm... genuinely perplexed by people saying it flies by. I nearly fell asleep a number of times, and @Amorphous (yes I'm throwing you under the bus here!) said to me afterward he almost did the same.

I guess it just depends on the person, purely anecdotally when the credits rolled on BR2049 in IMAX I turned to my partner with a massive smile on my face and told her I loved it, and then she crushed me by telling me that it bored her to sleep (and she normally enjoys sci-fi and loved Arrival). I think we’re in for a similar sort of reaction here. Some people will be into the more measured pace whereas others may find it dull.

Edited by SnokesLegs

54 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

I'm... genuinely perplexed by people saying it flies by. I nearly fell asleep a number of times, and @Amorphous (yes I'm throwing you under the bus here!) said to me afterward he almost did the same.

I wanted to ask you if you feel like this film tells a complete whole story within itself?

I saw someone call it Dune: Part One and I got nervous. 

Edited by exomassey

For me, this supports my earlier argument that it's important to unpack what one means by a film being boring or slow-paced, etc, and that a film that is unengaging for one flies by for another, for various reasons.

I've watched action films that are filled to the brim with movement and action that felt like the longest slogs to get through (and yet were considered exciting and loved and appreciated by others).

This is to say that I feel like I understand the two perspectives, because I've been on both sides. Both experiences of the film are valid.

Peace,

Mike

20 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

To be fair I was running off a few hours of sleep!

BUT!!! I did also say that though it managed to be really un-investingly slow at some parts, it managed to get me invested in the story and characters by the end, which I think is a big achievement!

7 minutes ago, exomassey said:

I wanted to ask you if you feel like this film tells a complete story whole story within itself?

I saw someone call it Dune: Part One and I got nervous. 

It is 10000% Dune: Part One.

Which is why they should have already filmed Dune: Part II. It will be so stupid if it doesn't get greenlit, and the film will only live as a potential of what the second film could have brung.

My only major overall issue with the film (again, I still really liked it!) is that the entire 2:55 seems like set up. Set up for something that might not even come to fruition. 😕

9 hours ago, exomassey said:

I wanted to ask you if you feel like this film tells a complete story whole story within itself?

Absolutely not. The opening title card even says Dune: Part One. I think if they'd saved it for the end (like in It: Chapter One) audiences might have revolted at the cut to black.

15 minutes ago, Amorphous said:

It is 10000% Dune: Part One.

Which is why they should have already filmed Dune: Part II. It will be so stupid if it doesn't get greenlit, and the film will only live as a potential of what the second film could have brung.

My only major overall issue with the film (again, I still really liked it!) is that the entire 2:55 seems like set up. Set up for something that might not even come to fruition. 😕

Thanks for responding! 

That’s what worries me a little. Hopefully audiences respond to it but kicking off a potential film franchise with a lot of set up in the first instalment is risky. 

It’s getting a lot of comparisons to Lord of the Rings for that exact reason but LOTR is a lot more accessible and fantastical than something like Dune. 

6 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Absolutely not. The opening title card even says Dune: Part One. I think if they'd saved it for the end (like in It: Chapter One) audiences might have revolted at the cut to black.

That’s crazy. I have no idea how audiences are gonna respond to this lol.

However I think after the HBO Max thing, it covers the potential losses at the box office and we will get a sequel. 

33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Oh man the amount of "I hope we get to do a second one" from interviews and stuff. With the "IT BEGINS" tagline and "PART 1" in the film, it's so perfectly set up for the most epic L in the history of planned franchises.

May I introduce you to "The Divergent Series: Allegiant"

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

May I introduce you to "The Divergent Series: Allegiant"

Oh sure there are other really embarrassing ones, but at least Divergent made it to 3 😄, it wasn't a total rejection right out of the gate. If Dune gets anywhere close to three films before it all crumbles, it'll be a huge win.