CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On RT, I believe a fresh review doesn’t have a rating counts as 10/10? And a rotten review counts as 3/10? Wouldn’t that make the avg rating bit unreliable?

I do think metacritic is more reliable when it comes down to ratings/avg points.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Upon an initial read, it seemed that you were implying that the staff was deliberately trying to poison the well and making things worse. But on a reread, I realize I was mistaken and that you just wanted things to be fixed. I'm very sorry for what I said and I should have done a better job understanding what you tried to say.

Eric, you need to slow down and read a lot more carefully my friend.  

Re: RT average. It doesn't matter for boxoffice, but as far as sci fi movies that got Picture nomination go, Dune has a really good average atm:

Fury Road (Picture, Director) 8.6

Arrival (Picture, Director) 8.4

Inception (Picture) 8.1

The Martian (Picture) 7.9

District 9 7.8

Also LOTR (Picture/Director; Picture; Picture/Director win)

FOTR 8.2 

TTT 8.5

ROTK 8.7

Interesting since FOTR is now considered the best yet critical score is the lowest.

Also Black Panther (Picture) 8.3

I didn't take into consideration movies like Gravity (unusually high rating of 9.0, Director win) and Avatar (the biggest movie ever, too big to ignore). 

Edited by Valonqar

Far too early to discuss where Dune will end up with its average rating. Usually it dips from here, but how far will depend on how many high scores it gets. I can say though that it has already matched the amount of top scores that Shang-Chi has gotten from RT critics.

Shang Chi doesn't aim at awards. It's a fluff. It can have any score it wants and audience will show up. Eternals, OTOH, will need strong average score cause Feige wants it to make Picture/Director line up. I'm sure it will have the score, not sure about nominations. I don't see Director happening even as an afterglow considering the competition this year, but Picture in Top 10 is possible. 

@Last Man Standing Typical critics. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar