baumer

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard2) R1 18.5, Sing 16

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, both are making a lot of money on their own terms, this isn't a Daddy's Home situation (where families sold out from The Force Awakens went for the back-up plan). Jumanji's also gonna make a killing next Christmas too.

Don't forget Ferdinand.

Aside the issue that a movie's quality and its box office performance not going together, I've been thinking about this question a lot these days, why do we even bother deciding which film is objectively "good" and which is not if the nature of film criticing is purely subjective and it's just a matter of personal preference? Like, how subjective can we really be when it comes to telling "good" arts apart from the "bad" ones? to stretch it a little, are we allowed to say Nicki Minaj is better than Beethoven if we really think so? Could the population in the 23rd century possibly think Minaj is a superior musician? Cause reputations do change and things like that do happen. Can I say E.L. James is less talented than J.K. Rowling when there are many people out there who genuinely enjoy Fifty Shades of Grey more than Harry Potter? all the efforts to aggregate reviews, are they just pointlessThe fact that such collective opinions can be so easily diminished by individuals' personal tastes confuses me a little these days, about the notion that I've had about film critics and stuff. Maybe they are really meaningless?  :WHATanabe:

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The main reason I expect Sing to have a string of 40% drops after January 6: theater counts. A 12 screen theater won't have Sing by the end of January, and there's a decent chance many get rid of it on January 20. Because it's going to have low weekdays once school is back in session, theaters won't see the need to keep it around.

36 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I disagree with this and most theaters will hold Sing as it will be the only animated kids movie out.  

Empire is right.  There is one thing that took me a few years before I noticed, but the fact of the matter is every theater will ALWAYS have a kids movie available at all times. 

You don't have to keep sci-fi movies or comedies, but you will keep an animated movie until the next one comes out, guaran-damn-teed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

What if...Sing is the new Frozen that Moana wasn't?  :ph34r:.

Sing couldn't even hold Frozen's Snow Balls!

Sing was only slightly better than Pet's. And Pets was my worse animated movie of the year.

• Like 2

Passengers  (SONY/VR), 3,478 theaters  /$4.7M Wed. (-20%) /Total: $40.65M/Wk 2

Moana  (DIS), 2,687 Theaters (-803) / $4.4M (-8%) Wed.  /Total: $194.9M/Wk 5

Why Him?  (FOX), 2,917 theaters  /$2.9M Wed (-17%) / Total: $21.8M/Wk 1

Assassin’s Creed  (FOX), 2,970 theaters  /$2.7M Wed. (-25%)/Total: $28.5M/Wk 2

La La Land (Lionsgate) 740 /$2.5M Wed (-5%) /Total: $22.2M/ Wk 3

Fences (PAR) 2,233 theaters /$2.4M (-22%) Wed/Total:$17.3M/Wk 2

Fantastic Beasts…  (WB), 1,966 theaters /$1.3M Wed (-7%) /Total: $218.7M/Wk 6

Collateral Beauty  (WB/NL), 3,028 theaters  /$1.3M Wed. (-19%) /Total: $20.3M/Wk 2

Limited outside 20th Century Women:

Patriot’s Day  (CBS/LG), 7 theaters  /$51k Wed (+2%)/Total: $433k/Wk 2

Silence  (PAR), 4 theaters  /$20k Wed. (-12%) /Total: $206K/ Wk 1

Live by Night  (WB), 4 theaters  /$9k Wed. (+10%) /Total: $66K/ Wk 1

A Monster Calls  (FOC), 4 theaters  /$4K Wed. (-12%)/Total:$47K/Wk 1

That's some incredible holds! 

Fantastic Beasts coming for the 240m :P;) 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

January looks to pose no threats for Sing to be dropped at too many theaters. What the fuck is The Resurrection of Galvin Stone?

January poses no threat to any of these Holiday films. The first competition is February 10th. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that while Sing is doing very well domestic, it's the opposite OS where it's doing decently but not spectacular business. 

I think animation fatigue really is a thing, Moana is not exactly kicking asses it should be either. :( 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yjs said:

I think animation fatigue really is a thing, Moana is not exactly kicking asses it should be either. :( 

I think both are cannibalising each other in the market they are both released though I'm not sure why Sing is doing poorly in some places where Minions and SLOP did great 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It pisses me off that good movies like Moana, Doctor Strange, and Fantastic Beasts gross less than Rogue One: A Member Berries Story and Illuminati's latest marketing ploy Sing.

HA-HA

I weep for none of these movies, since they're grossing perfectly good numbers.

• Like 10