baumer

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard2) R1 18.5, Sing 16

Just now, babz06 said:

Don't theaters keep movies  in theaters as long as they're still making money? They get a larger percentage of the gross in the later weeks. 

Sing has no legit competition until Batman Lego movie. Monster Trucks is going to be a non-factor. 

Yes. If anything, theaters will be quick to ditch the other Christmas openers ASAP.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fantastic Beasts is not really a good movie, tho. I haven't seen Moana but a friend told me it was boring and generic, and that the only good thing was the Mad Max scene. Doctor Strange did more than enough. It performed very, very well.

When my kid has to ask how much longer it effects wom with some. And this is the same kid who could watch frozen on a loop all day long. Ultimately I feel Moana is as soulless and corporately staged as Sing but one did marketing better. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Let's assume by some nightmare miracle Sing is at 180M with a 14M Monday like grim said. The rest of the week will drop 65-70% (let's assume its 50M) for 25M. The grand total is at 205M.

.........Fuck, this is going to beat Moana.

Probably, but it's still likely to be a 20m or less separation between the two.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

January looks to pose no threats for Sing to be dropped at too many theaters. What the fuck is The Resurrection of Galvin Stone?

This synopsis sounds great

When a former child star is forced to do community service at a local church, he pretends to be Christian so he can land the part of Jesus in the church's production, only to discover that the most important role of his life is far from Hollywood.

How anyone can say a movie like Sing is "soulless" is beyond me. It must suck to be that cynical.

I was really hoping Rogue One could manage another $20M+ day but, regardless, another excellent number that's right on par with Avatar's 2nd Wednesday and, needless to say, well ahead of any other film in that regard (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is next up with a 2nd Wednesday gross of $11.39M).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

When a former child star is forced to do community service at a local church, he pretends to be Christian so he can land the part of Jesus in the church's production, only to discover that the most important role of his life is far from Hollywood.

Get out of here. :rofl:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

January looks to pose no threats for Sing to be dropped at too many theaters. What the fuck is The Resurrection of Galvin Stone?

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Best part: it's produced by WWE and stars Hive :rofl: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

R1 and sing are not cannibalising each other, but completing each other, they are complementary!!  

Maybe in North America, but elsewhere.. Smaller markets, they are fighting for screens and showtimes.

In most parts of Asia, this week isn't holiday and people can only watch 1 film per week... definitely cannbalism to a certain extent.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

R1 and sing are not cannibalising each other, but completing each other, they are complementary!!  

Yeah, both are making a lot of money on their own terms, this isn't a Daddy's Home situation (where families sold out from The Force Awakens went for the back-up plan). Jumanji's also gonna make a killing next Christmas too.