grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

10 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Definitely not wrong there

It's insane to me that they keep getting regurgitated. It's one thing to make endless sequels and reboots in a successful franchise. But to reboot again and again despite little financial and critical success? It's the definition of insanity. Salvation and Genisys were both failures, and yet here we are again. 

26 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It's insane to me that they keep getting regurgitated. It's one thing to make endless sequels and reboots in a successful franchise. But to reboot again and again despite little financial and critical success? It's the definition of insanity. Salvation and Genisys were both failures, and yet here we are again. 

And T3 was only a modest success.

I really think the basic idea behind the Terminator frachise is only good for a couple of films, then you are into rehashing what has been done before.Some franchises have limited shelf life.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

they keep

they

they they they they they they they 

I keep hearing this, who the fuck is "they"? Arnold has tried a few times, but it was always missing two pillars of the franchise: Linda Hamilton and James Cameron. Right now whether they succeeded or not is a matter of opinion, but it's pretty clear a lot of people are loving this one. 

And Cameron likes the challenge, I'm sure trying to resuscitate a franchise was appealing (especially one he created). Has he succeeded? Well it's getting mixed responses, but I see a lot of praise. And that RT score is steadily getting better (67% based on 58 reviews). Not that a % should matter (plenty of over 90 shit I did not care about), but the overall impression I get is that while too similar to its predecessor, it's a great action movie and a successful return to form

4 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

they keep

they

they they they they they they they 

I keep hearing this, who the fuck is "they"? Arnold has tried a few times, but it was always missing two pillars of the franchise: Linda Hamilton and James Cameron. Right now whether they succeeded or not is a matter of opinion, but it's pretty clear a lot of people are loving this one. 

And Cameron likes the challenge, I'm sure trying to resuscitate a franchise was appealing (especially one he created). Has he succeeded? Well it's getting mixed responses, but I see a lot of praise. And that RT score is steadily getting better (67% based on 58 reviews). Not that a % should matter (plenty of over 90 shit I did not care about), but the overall impression I get is that while too similar to its predecessor, it's a great action movie and a successful return to form

Okay, dude. Obviously "they" being the studio, who is the decision-maker when it comes to continuing a franchise. You can believe what you want to believe, but it's destined to lose money and the reviews aren't good enough to justify it on artistic merits either. 

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And T3 was only a modest success.

I really think the basic idea behind the Terminator frachise is only good for a couple of films, then you are into rehashing what has been done before.Some franchises have limited shelf life.

There was a good movie to be had with showing the future war in full, but they chose McG of all filmmakers to tackle it. 

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Okay, dude. Obviously "they" being the studio, who is the decision-maker when it comes to continuing a franchise. You can believe what you want to believe, but it's destined to lose money and the reviews aren't good enough to justify it on artistic merits either. 

Do you think T1 and T2 were successful because of the studio? This isn't Marvel. They brought back the guy that actually made them successful (James Cameron) and brought in Tim Miller after the success of Deadpool. You can believe what you want to believe, but it made sense to think it could work.

reviews aren't good enough to justify it on artistic merits either. 

Meaningless word salad. Do you solely base your opinion on a movie on what a % of critics think? Besides, this is an action movie, not The Godfather

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Oh, no, James.

No.

Not you.

Why ?

You were supposed to be the Chosen One and bring balance to W Hollywood.

:(:whosad:

be afraid, avatar 2 is gonna have a bunch of kid navi in it and its gonna be chock full of the woke politics you routinely lament on here

• Like 1

I mean... There were a lot of cringe-worthy scenes, some terrible cgi at times, some bad acting, but also some good moments from Hamilton, a couple decent jokes from Arnie and the action had its moments. 

Overall watchable, though it's not miles better than Genysis, IMO. I think I preferred that movie's plot to this one (lol, plot...) but that was tragically hamstrung by such charisma voids playing the leads. 6/10 for some entertaining action. 

Saw this earlier tonight and really enjoyed it, it’s a massive step up from the last three films. Obviously not as good as the first two, but I was never expecting it to be. It’s definitely the best one since T2 and thankfully I don’t mean that as a backhanded compliment this time, as it’s genuinely a good action film with a lot of heart to it and some genuinely thrilling action sequences. Linda Hamilton and Arnold were both great, and the new characters were all very likeable which makes you care about them when they’re in peril, unlike the cardboard cut out characters from Genisys. For the first time in nearly 30 years, they actually got it right, this genuinely feels like a true sequel to the first two films.

Also, keeping this vague so as not to spoil anything (not that reviewers seemed to care about that...) in terms of that thing from the start of the film that leaked a few months ago and sounded like a horrible idea...I actually didn’t bump into it anywhere near as much as I thought I would, infact by the end I actually thought it was a good story choice. It doesn’t undo anything from the previous films like I thought it would, and it actually makes sense.

This one absolutely doesn’t deserve to flop, but unfortunately thanks to the stink of Genisys, it probably will.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean... There were a lot of cringe-worthy scenes, some terrible cgi at times, some bad acting, but also some good moments from Hamilton, a couple decent jokes from Arnie and the action had its moments. 

Overall watchable, though it's not miles better than Genysis, IMO. I think I preferred that movie's plot to this one (lol, plot...) but that was tragically hamstrung by such charisma voids playing the leads. 6/10 for some entertaining action. 

The New

Spoiler

John(ette) Connor

will make people cringe and squirm for decades to come sweet yeezus.

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The New

Hide contents

John(ette) Connor

will make people cringe and squirm for decades to come sweet yeezus.

I don't think it's necessarily the idea of that itself, but how it's executed. There's that scene in the plane that is just eye-rolling for me. But otherwise I didn't mind it. 

I had far bigger issues with the plot, especially everything to do with the new future. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this managed a soft-ish opening but above average legs thanks to good WOM if it gets it. Though with so many movies opening throughout the rest of the month (no less than 12 wide releases between November 8 to Thanksgiving weekend) it'll be a challenge to hold onto screens.

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The last few films were bad. I haven't seen this one obviously, but I think the franchise has to end.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to a sequel to this one in principle, but it would just be the same goddamn thing for the sixth time (Salvation, poor though it was, DID try to do something different), and there's only so many times you can have slight variations in the same story.

It's impossible for me to say what I really feel about this without going into spoilers, but I will say that, yeah, probably best they just stop here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I am not sure it's destined to lose money, but could end up like Alita..it makes it's budget back and a modest profit, but not enough to jusjtify the expense in terms of return on investment. 

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I actually wouldn't be opposed to a sequel to this one in principle, but it would just be the same goddamn thing for the sixth time (Salvation, poor though it was, DID try to do something different), and there's only so many times you can have slight variations in the same story.

It's impossible for me to say what I really feel about this without going into spoilers, but I will say that, yeah, probably best they just stop here.

Problem with Salvation is that in the end it was just another Post Apocalypse action film so not so sure even Salvation was that original in plot.

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem with Salvation is that in the end it was just another Post Apocalypse action film so not so sure even Salvation was that original in plot.

Sure, one one hand it is "just another Post-Apoc" film. However, in the confines of the Terminator world built over the preceding 3 films it was an establishment film. I like that you meet a John Connor who is a mid-ranking soldier with his own band of believers. He's more cult of personality at that point. By films end, with Resistance leaders dead and him leading the charge to turn the tide he rises to a position to make him THE John Connor we had been hearing about. A follow-up film to Salvation had things in motion to further and more fully the Future World and, and this is important....NOT be a rehash of the same story that here we are again with Dark Fate complaining about re-treading.

Salvation was an overall good film with a few things I think we(not exclusively meaning you @dudalb) could agree on to be adjusted. The fans who abandoned it are to blame for the spiral into Genysis and apathy towards Dark Fate. We could've explored new narratives in the Terminator Future War but that didn't happen and even if it wasn't perfect at least it wouldn't be a rehash of T1's script with a modest bent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Sure, one one hand it is "just another Post-Apoc" film. However, in the confines of the Terminator world built over the preceding 3 films it was an establishment film. I like that you meet a John Connor who is a mid-ranking soldier with his own band of believers. He's more cult of personality at that point. By films end, with Resistance leaders dead and him leading the charge to turn the tide he rises to a position to make him THE John Connor we had been hearing about. A follow-up film to Salvation had things in motion to further and more fully the Future World and, and this is important....NOT be a rehash of the same story that here we are again with Dark Fate complaining about re-treading.

Salvation was an overall good film with a few things I think we(not exclusively meaning you @dudalb) could agree on to be adjusted. The fans who abandoned it are to blame for the spiral into Genysis and apathy towards Dark Fate. We could've explored new narratives in the Terminator Future War but that didn't happen and even if it wasn't perfect at least it wouldn't be a rehash of T1's script with a modest bent.

Exactly. That's the part I enjoy about Salvation - the Resistance makes sense. You believe that organization can fight Skynet, to the point where they claw back the world and can capture a complex with a time machine (which would be one of if not THE main Skynet facility). I actually enjoy the opening of Genisys as well. It's a good follow up from Salvation's John Connor being positioned as the leader. I don't like the rest of that film, but that's a good opening for me. 

Similarly, while not original in the genre, Salvation was new for the franchise and could actually develop the universe. The execution wasn't great, the visual style was bland, the casting wasn't good (one of the big issues of Genisys as well), but the core idea of it was ok. 

• Like 1