grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I repeat, being the best Terminator film since T2 is not exactly a high bar to pass.

some go a bit further:

and others have more to say

really positive so far from randos who have seen the special screening and critics. Really curious to see how that will translate in reviews tomorrow. If they turn out negative that was pretty damn strong smoke screen they pulled off. Though Terminator movies are such an easy target for critics. They have to be compared to the first 2 classics and admittedly this one seems to be sticking a bit too close to the formula. Don't care much if it's a good action movie personally, but that will probably be a point of attack for a lot of critics.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

You see the Zombieland 2 movie? I wanted Maleficent 2, but AMC has a new thing now, where some of the screenings are captioned, a huge visual distraction for me. 

Anyway, Zombieland 2 has some fun with Terminator 2: Judgement day 😂. The new "upgraded" zombie...😂...is called the "T-8000", and is much harder to kill than the lesser zombies 😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chucky said:

Because I want to predict the flop before it happens as it's a box office forum, I'm also baffled as to why they keep releasing sequels to this franchise when none of them have been very successful since Judgement Day. This is the sort of franchise that shouldnt be touched for a while and if it is, it needs to be a reboot, not a continuation to a 30 year old movie. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=terminator.htm

Genisys actually grossed more in box office worldwide totals than Terminator 3 and 4.  Although grosses kept declining in the U.S., yes.  But none of these were an outright flop, otherwise they may very well have put the property away for a while.

The other thing to note is that every single Terminator film since T2 has essentially been made by a different creative team, producers, and studio.  The only constant among every single one of them is...yes...Schwarzenegger (who is the only thing that I recall got any vocal audience reaction in the theater when I saw Salvation, and whose performance actually moved me nearly to tears in his final moments on screen in Genysis...despite the rest of the movie being a shambola). 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Macleod said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=terminator.htm

Genisys actually grossed more in box office worldwide totals than Terminator 3 and 4.  Although grosses kept declining in the U.S., yes.  But none of these were an outright flop, otherwise they may very well have put the property away for a while.

The other thing to note is that every single Terminator film since T2 has essentially been made by a different creative team, producers, and studio.  The only constant among every single one of them is...yes...Schwarzenegger (who is the only thing that I recall got any vocal audience reaction in the theater when I saw Salvation, and whose performance actually moved me nearly to tears in his final moments on screen in Genysis...despite the rest of the movie being a shambola). 

I think the only reason T5 earned more is that China became larger. In other words, it made less than T3&T4 in other markets.

26 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think the only reason T5 earned more is that China became larger. In other words, it made less than T3&T4 in other markets.

Still funny to me that T3 made more than Endgame in Japan and pretty much every other superhero movie. T2 must have been huge there as well, maybe the themes about the nuclear holocaust had something to do with it.

The franchise has been on a steady decline in Japan though. I have no expectations, but I'm curious to see how the new one will do over there. 

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

So time travel makes sense to you but liquid metal is where you draw the line and start talking about physics? Ok then 

Yes, time travel is based in some kind of reasoning in science.

Robots with complex circuitry and power sources that maintain their structural integrity while becoming a gooey mess on the floor, makes no sense at all.

If it was a sentient being with godlike powers or even a talking tree, that would be easier for the brain to adjust too in the cinema than a liquid metal robot.

That's why T1>>>>>T2, the terminator was plausible.

27 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Yes, time travel is based in some kind of reasoning in science.

Robots with complex circuitry and power sources that maintain their structural integrity while becoming a gooey mess on the floor, makes no sense at all.

If it was a sentient being with godlike powers or even a talking tree, that would be easier for the brain to adjust too in the cinema than a liquid metal robot.

That's why T1>>>>>T2, the terminator was plausible.

No travelling back in time has no kind of reasoning in science, its impossible but we suspend our belief for science fiction movies.

Scientist have actually created drops of liquid metal to move like the T-1000 so as improbable as it is to create a machine like that it is still more believable than the concept of travelling back in time to kill a kid likely to cause havoc in the future.

50 minutes ago, Chucky said:

No travelling back in time has no kind of reasoning in science, its impossible but we suspend our belief for science fiction movies.

Scientist have actually created drops of liquid metal to move like the T-1000 so as improbable as it is to create a machine like that it is still more believable than the concept of travelling back in time to kill a kid likely to cause havoc in the future.

Not impossible, just improbable.

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-11-stephen-hawking-day.html

But from my point of view, a sci-fi movie based on some facts, however stretched they are, can be ruined by introducing the totally incredulous, which is what the second movie did for me.

Just my opinion.

"not very successful" is quite different from "flop."

why still doing terminator? well, Rise of the Machine was in the domestic top 10 in 2003 and beat X2 WW (but with twice as much production cost). Then Genisys grossed over 110m in China. 

Terminator is a viable franchise, especially while Arnold still around, but imo not strong enough to justify the production budgets post T2.  Salvation was the worst of the bunch cost-earning wise...

I think with sensible budget control, this franchise could still have good chance to be "successful." 

personally, I like Rise of the Machine quite a bit, especially the ending montage. and wish the franchise gets big again and so the Sarah Connor chronicle third season could happen. 

Edited by teard1972
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Still funny to me that T3 made more than Endgame in Japan and pretty much every other superhero movie. T2 must have been huge there as well, maybe the themes about the nuclear holocaust had something to do with it.

The franchise has been on a steady decline in Japan though. I have no expectations, but I'm curious to see how the new one will do over there. 

Superhero movies are not huge in Japan so nothing funny about it

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Not impossible, just improbable.

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-11-stephen-hawking-day.html

But from my point of view, a sci-fi movie based on some facts, however stretched they are, can be ruined by introducing the totally incredulous, which is what the second movie did for me.

Just my opinion.

Ok fair enough that's your opinion but it's a fact that creating a T-1000 like in the movie is far easier in our lifetime than creating a time machine which as of now is impossible. We are talking about going back in time btw, not going forward in time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/scientists-create-liquid-metal-that-stretches-like-terminator/

Edited by Chucky

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Superhero movies are not huge in Japan so nothing funny about it

Well no sh**. But regardless of genre it's still funny that a movie that grossed 2.796 billion still couldn't beat a movie that grossed 433.4 million in a large market like Japan. Superhero movies are also not huge in Europe, but you don't see that same stark contrast with Terminator