kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

3 hours ago, Andreas said:

Will this ever get certified fresh? Sitting at 76% with 300 reviews, it will probably sink to less than 75%, but more than 70%, and won't get the certificate in time.

Well with 3/4 reviews being good through 300, it would need to fall to 3/5 over the next 150 (for a total of 450, The Batman currently has 471) to get to 70%.

I don't see the ratio changing that substantially this far into the review cycle.

It starts off as the most mid-Marvel thing ever and as it goes along you get into some juicy Raimi moments that kinda worth it on their own. Which is fun but a little dissapointing that after 10 years the new Raimi movie is just this.

I don't know what kinda rep it will end up with but the "gore" talk the last few days is hilarious after you 've seen the movie. It's very body horror evocative, but Verbinski's Pirate movies were doing similar stuff two decades ago without anyone clutching their pearls about how GA might react to such horrific images. GA can handle mostly bloodless gross images just fine imo.

I also liked Wanda and the surprising (to me) way they use her but I feel like I missed something important with her character motivations because I don't watch the Disney+ shows. Which I guess might become a problem if more of the endless TV stuff become important plot points in huge movies that way more people watch than the shows.

I sound a bit negative but I generally thought it was fun. Better than most post-pandemic Marvels.

• Like 2

Liked it didn't love it. Too short to have enough weight on certain characters and decisions made but pretty fun direction and visuals make up for it. Wonder though with rematches at home it will diminish as the story problems become more apparent. Down for Raimi to come back though.

Few Cinema in Pakistan have started to show Dr Strange after a tons of criticism without post credit. Secondly, they switched from 3d to 2d without any notice. 

People are freaking out now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, john2000 said:

Eternals with a B cinemascore hit 2,34 multi, i dont see why doc strange wouldnt hit that too.

To be fair, Eternals had Thanksgiving weekend to help compensate.

I think it's worth mentioning that Dr. Strange isn't an appealing character to the young audience, the concept of a grumpy wizard uncle who loves to brag about moral compass just doesn't land very well. On Reddit, even Moon Knight attracts more new young fans than Dr. Strange. How Dr. Strange MoM is performing at the box-office now is very impressive, considering all factors, imo

Edited by honeycookiez

1 hour ago, honeycookiez said:

I think it's worth mentioning that Dr. Strange isn't an appealing character to the young audience, the concept of a grumpy wizard uncle who loves to brag about moral compass just doesn't land very well. On Reddit, even Moon Knight attracts more new young fans than Dr. Strange. How Dr. Strange MoM is performing at the box-office now is very impressive, considering all factors, imo

A trait only emphasized further by his appearance/dialogue in No Way Home, which I was almost sure was/wish had been a Strange variant or indeed someone/something else under his disguise...  

Edited by Macleod

18 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

If I see any more people claiming that this film is a horror movie that’s just too graphic for audiences (which is why it’s scoring low on CinemaScore) I am going to have an ulcer

You can't blame them -- they've been schooled by ten years of Marvel movies that have basically been become a bubblegum world of elasticity with little consequential violence on screen really having an impact, until you get to Endgame...and even then..."no one's ever really gone" because of the "multiverse."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, Macleod said:

A trait only emphasized further by his appearance/dialogue in No Way Home, which I was almost sure was/wish had been a Strange variant or indeed someone/something else under his disguise...  

Yeah, an unattractive trait. According to the writer, they will explore his future journey in a different way with that new (spoiler) character LINK

I guess they will romanticize uncle Strange moving forward to fit the audience and female moviegoers' taste.

3 hours ago, Bigscrubnus said:

If I see any more people claiming that this film is a horror movie that’s just too graphic for audiences (which is why it’s scoring low on CinemaScore) I am going to have an ulcer

Well despite being ridiculous, this is seriously being discussed