kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

950M is dead with this. Will be lucky to reach 925 - 930M WW.

400M DOM also is in danger now again. Though this could be a good test if The Batmans fate was an anomaly or if it applies to other blockbusters as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Don’t understand the urgency. 
D+ has new Kenobi and Ms. Marvel in June. 

"That Doctor Strange sure made a lot of money! That means it has to go to Disney+ right away! If we wait too long, the halo effect and buzz from its theatrical release isn't as strong. Strike while the iron is hot, so the movie's in the conversation longer!"

For the record, because I know I'll get lectured on it, yes this is a stupid reason. However, studio executives are stupid and short-sighted and think only about themselves, so it makes sense they would want it on streaming right away, even if it makes zero sense. Plus the movie's already made a lot of money to begin with and the studios don't care about theatrical (sorry, but they don't), so that's just icing on the cake. I know people don't like seeing this stuff, but I'm just saying the truth.

• Like 1

Eh, even with this early launch, it's still going to be the #4 movie of the June 17-19 weekend and won't be out of the top 10 until July 15 (when three wide releases come out following June 24-July 8 having a total of four) at the earliest. Might as well continue to test the waters when theaters still have little to replace the aging movies with.

If they are telling the movie can only stay on disney+ for 45 days then the copy will disappear forever due to technical reason then yes, please put it on streaming go ahead.

But if we can’t solve a unfairness between theatre and digital platform in term of how long can one stay, don’t bother to convince me the quicker streaming route is better option. 

A marvel fans may not be able to see Endgame on big screen for the rest of his life but he will be able to see it repeatedly anywhere anytime he wants at home. This is simply unfair. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The slow death of cinema

:sadfleck:

Goddamnit i sound like CJohn

:sadfleck:

dw the Cruiser's still getting normal theatrical windows for his films lol

1 hour ago, Mr Terrific said:

Don’t understand the urgency. 
D+ has new Kenobi and Ms. Marvel in June. 

Kenobi ends in three weeks when this shows up, Disney+ needs continuous dopamine flows for fanboys.  Ms. Marvel will not generate the numbers.  (Just factual perspective here, no discrimination!)

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A marvel fans may not be able to see Endgame on big screen for the rest of his life but he will be able to see it repeatedly anywhere anytime he wants at home. This is simply unfair. 

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it" -- Clint Eastwood.  You have a voice. Use it. If the fanbase/crowds REALLY demanded it, any studio would bring back your favorite films to big screen engagements, but the results for many of these experiments often don't end well.  Yes, Disney, Warners, others have contributed to the complacency of the public by shortening theatrical windows and propping up streaming services, but the public ultimately decides (as we see with Netflix's recent losses).  Sooner or later enough sub-par streaming product will encourage audiences to demand more, bigger, better, on the big screen, and yes, the only way to really generate great "legs" (can we retire this misogynistic term?) and long theatrical runs is to MAKE A GREAT MOVIE.  Maverick is it, and the audience is saying so.  The Batman was good, not great.  Strange II also doesn't seem to be it (and no, I still haven't seen it...and now I will wait for Disney+, since I just re-subscribed, so call me the villain, here).  

Edited by Macleod

25 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Kenobi ends in three weeks when this shows up, Disney+ needs continuous dopamine flows for fanboys.  Ms. Marvel will not generate the numbers.  (Just factual perspective here, no discrimination!)

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it" -- Clint Eastwood.  You have a voice. Use it. If the fanbase/crowds REALLY demanded it, any studio would bring back your favorite films to big screen engagements, but the results for many of these experiments often don't end well.  Yes, Disney, Warners, others have contributed to the complacency of the public by shortening theatrical windows and propping up streaming services, but the public ultimately decides (as we see with Netflix's recent losses).  Sooner or later enough sub-par streaming product will encourage audiences to demand more, bigger, better, on the big screen, and yes, the only way to really generate great "legs" (can we retire this misogynistic term?) and long theatrical runs is to MAKE A GREAT MOVIE.  Maverick is it, and the audience is saying so.  The Batman was good, not great.  Strange II also doesn't seem to be it (and no, I still haven't seen it...and now I will wait for Disney+, since I just re-subscribed, so call me the villain, here).  

TB dom legs were sliced off....couldn't even pass the 370 mark.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

TB dom legs were sliced off....couldn't even pass the 370 mark.

And I'm sure Zaslav will have something to say about that to his new regime...but the movie is simply good, not great.  It's not a billion-dollar movie, in my take.  Plus, it was 3 HOURS.  

Edited by Macleod

Realistically MoM would only make a few million after day 45 (Civil War made 7 million domestic).  So it's not going to have a huge effect on it's box office.  Im not sure what putting it on streaming earlier actually gets Disney, but there isn't that much downside for this movie.

I'm just concerned about future movies.  How much will a 45 day window affect Black Panther 2?  It would have cost the first one 50 million domestic.  Is Disney just going to mutilate the run of every movie with legs?  I'm hoping that they'll recognize the need to be flexible, but not counting on it.

Having movies in theaters is a form of marketing in its own right.  Every person who sees a movie in theaters will be a potential streaming customer.  It helps strengthen the brand and reach new people.  Marvel never would have gotten as broadly popular if it had just been on streaming, it just wouldn't have reached as wide an audience and never have gotten to it's full potential.  Especially now that the streaming landscape is becoming more fragmented.  If Disney wants to continue growing Marvel as a brand keeping movies in theaters (and ideally keeping them there long enough to reach their full potential) is necessary.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think this will just cost the film a few million dollars, and I guess Disney felt the value of pttiontoutting this on Disney + was much greater then the additional couple of million it would have taken in.

The coming of streaming has shortned the theatrical life of movies .No debating that any longer, and no going back to the way it once was. Legs for movies will be much shorter, live with it.

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

And I'm sure Zaslav will have something to say about that to his new regime...but the movie is simply good, not great.  It's not a billion-dollar movie, in my take.  Plus, it was 3 HOURS.  

Yeah, I think The Batman did go to streaming too fast. I agree with everything you say..Batman was good, not great...but I think it couls have taken in  around 20 Million more if it had not gone to streaming so fast..which will not be the case with Dr Strange.

Sure Zaslve will correct this.