CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would love to be proven wrong but having a hard time seeing this do much better than First Man did last year. Seems to be flying under the radar, unfortunately.

Mmmm, yeah, I agree. 

@Water Bottle liked it more than I did. We both figure it’ll get a pretty mixed Cinemascore. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Mmmm, yeah, I agree. 

@Water Bottle liked it more than I did. We both figure it’ll get a pretty mixed Cinemascore. 

Come on, Tele - what did you expect?? As if there was a really good and coherent space sci-fi movie EVER?? Apart from Gravity, of course - that Cuaron movie was genuinely the eighth wonder of the world, watched it 15 times in cinemas.

Ad Astra always looked like there's a lot of "metaphysical" mumbo-jumbo thrown in, ala The Fountain. But the space parts alone should be worth multiple viewings - especially the Moon scenes.

Is there any other problem the Shay has not foreseen?

Edited by shayhiri

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Would love to be proven wrong but having a hard time seeing this do much better than First Man did last year. Seems to be flying under the radar, unfortunately.

I've had this pegged for like 50-55m for ages, but I will say Disney has done an admirable job promoting it. 

4 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Come on, Tele - what did you expect?? As if there was a really good and coherent space sci-fi movie EVER?? Apart from Gravity, of course - that Cuaron movie was genuinely the eighth wonder of the world, watched it 15 times in cinemas.

Ad Astra always looked like there's a lot of "metaphysical" mumbo-jumbo thrown in, ala The Fountain. But the space parts alone should be worth multiple viewings - especially the Moon scenes.

Is there any other problem the Shay has not foreseen?

I wanted more metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Mmmm, yeah, I agree. 

What didn't you like about it?

I'm really looking forward to it (seeing it Friday). Aguirre, the Wrath of God set in space should be right up my alley.

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

Indeed, a great article. Pitt sounds genuinely interested in the advanced concepts in this film. I definitely get more of an Interstellar vibe than Gravity.

Interstellar <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Gravity

Watched Gravity 15 times - could hardly stomach the bad Kubrick imitation of late Nolan once.

Gravity even destroyed it at the BO: a rare occurrence of the stupid masses showing a bit of reason and taste.

Ad Astra is not Interstellar in any way. Interstellar even looked like shit. Not the case here.

Edited by shayhiri

8 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Interstellar <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Gravity

Watched Gravity 15 times - could hardly stomach the bad Kubrick imitation of late Nolan once.

Gravity even destroyed it at the BO: a rare occurrence of the stupid masses showing a bit of reason and taste.

Ad Astra is not Interstellar in any way. Interstellar even looked like shit. Not the case here.

Interstellar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gravity. 

• Like 1

Well, I really enjoyed Lost City of Z. I'm curious to see how Gray transported the adventure of the jungle to the adventure of outer space. While City of Z has the anchor of real life events, I'm still interested in how his prowess of the classical adventure template transfers to sci-fi.

Edited by ThePhasmid