franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

On 4/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think $500mn is floor for this one.

1. MCU tre-quel average growth is close to 50% from sequel. Even the smallest of the lot, Iron Man 3 growth will put it at $510mn.

2. Will get Avengers boost which they were missing. More so in overseas though, especially Asia.

Re-watched GoTG 2. It was horrible to even imagine firing Gunn. Its so good and perhaps underrated.

With, finally Avengers bump and addition of point break, damn sure about that 500 being floor with 200mn plus OW. I will be going with 230 OW and 575+ full run this far out.

OS will be ~ 2x GoTG 2.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Re-watched GoTG 2. It was horrible to even imagine firing Gunn. Its so good and perhaps underrated.

With, finally Avengers bump and addition of point break, damn sure about that 500 being floor with 200mn plus OW. I will be going with 230 OW and 575+ full run this far out.

OS will be ~ 2x GoTG 2.

Well, if there ever was a good reason to fire Gunn, then that's what should've happened. I have no sympathy whatsoever for Bryan Singer, but I love Days Of Future Past and remember liking X1 and X2 as well. It depends, really. In this case, the reason was no good, though, and bringing him back was the right call (and I know that it has been said that he's been spotted in questionable situations before, but one's innocent until proven guilty and I don't think that those supposed scenarios mean much if they haven't been seriously brought up yet).

As for Guardians 3, I feel like 200+ OW and 500+ DOM is a tough reach, but the 1st two movies were absolutely enormous on their own without Avengers bumps, so who knows. However, OS is definitely going wayyyyyyyy higher and 1B+ WW is a done deal.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

The Guardians films are much better after seeing Endgame/IW. The Nebula/Gamora stuff is so important to these films, and would not have worked without the work Gunn put into them in GOTG1 and most importantly, GOTG2.

• Like 1

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Breaks Silence On High-Profile Disney Firing, & What He Learned From The Career Crisis That Followed — Deadline Disruptors

Really nice interview. GOTG remains one of my favorite movies and while I don’t find the sequel to be as rewatchable, I’m excited to see what Gunn does for Vol. 3. 

Given another lease on life with Guardians, what characters or themes are you most excited to see through in the third film?

Spoiler

When you asked me what was saddest for me when I thought it was gone—and anybody at Marvel can tell you—it’s this very strange and attached relationship to Rocket. Rocket is me, he really is, even if that sounds narcissistic. Groot is like my dog. I love Groot in a completely different way. I relate to Rocket and I feel compassion for Rocket, but I also feel like his story has not been completed. He has an arc that started in the first movie, continued into the second and goes through Infinity War and Endgame, and then I was set to really finish that arc in Guardians 3. That was a big loss to me—not being able to finish that story—though I was comforted by the fact that they were still planning to use my script.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Deja23 said:

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Breaks Silence On High-Profile Disney Firing, & What He Learned From The Career Crisis That Followed — Deadline Disruptors

Really nice interview. GOTG remains one of my favorite movies and while I don’t find the sequel to be as rewatchable, I’m excited to see what Gunn does for Vol. 3. 

Given another lease on life with Guardians, what characters or themes are you most excited to see through in the third film?

Hide contents

When you asked me what was saddest for me when I thought it was gone—and anybody at Marvel can tell you—it’s this very strange and attached relationship to Rocket. Rocket is me, he really is, even if that sounds narcissistic. Groot is like my dog. I love Groot in a completely different way. I relate to Rocket and I feel compassion for Rocket, but I also feel like his story has not been completed. He has an arc that started in the first movie, continued into the second and goes through Infinity War and Endgame, and then I was set to really finish that arc in Guardians 3. That was a big loss to me—not being able to finish that story—though I was comforted by the fact that they were still planning to use my script.

No surprise there. Rocket Racoon is a HUGE fan favorite. I don't think the GOGT films would heve been anywhere near as successful without Rocket.

3 hours ago, Deja23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

We. Are. Groot.❤️

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Nebula might be the most improved character in the MCU. 

I’d say so. I think back to GOTG1 and realize how absolutely camp she was.

IMO, it’s Nebula, followed by Hawkeye. (And though I might not necessarily agree, didn’t some people bag on both the writing of Black Widow and ScarJo’s performance in IM2 and Avengers? I swear that TWS was praised for “finally” making Black Widow a compelling character, and that was in no small part why some people claimed her portrayal “regressed” in AOU.)

Edited by TServo2049

16 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

1B+ WW is pretty much locked for this one now.

Indeed. After IW and EG, they are now clearly part of the main Avengers story of the MCU. That's going to give them a HUGE boost. As big as the GOTG were before, you can just tell from looking at the numbers compared to Avengers or IM3 or CW that some Marvel fans still weren't fully on board. But surely they will be now.

16 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

IMO, it’s Nebula, followed by Hawkeye. (And though I might not necessarily agree, didn’t some people bag on both the writing of Black Widow and ScarJo’s performance in IM2 and Avengers? I swear that TWS was praised for “finally” making Black Widow a compelling character, and that was in no small part why some people claimed her portrayal “regressed” in AOU.)

I'm so in impressed with Nebula's character growth, I'm going to try and watch some movies where Karen Gillian has a prominent role. I also hope she does a future film with Robert Downey, Jr. I loved their scene together at the start of the movie.

I thought Black Widow was prototypical female spy in the second Iron Man movie, but I've liked her progression since "The Winter Soldier," "Age of Ultron," and then on into "Civil War." All the complaining and misinterpretation of Bruce and her conversation in AoU was the biggest eye roll of intentional context removal of all time. Anyway, putting aside that she may not have had as much development as Tony, Steve, and Thor, and that I would honestly have preferred a Black Widow film in place of "Captain Marvel," I love the moments we do get to share with her as we see her learning to form and eventually having authentic relationships outside Nick and Clint.

Hopefully the success of "Endgame" emboldens future MCU directors to give audiences longer films that spend a little more time on outside characters!

Edited by I Am
  • Like 2

I thought Nebula was terrible in GOTG2 - poorly written and acted.  She was one of the high points in GOTG2.    AIW & AEG though took her to another level.   Nebula became more an Avenger than a Guardian.  I'm surprised she didn't stay on Earth.   I guess it will be explained that she's searching for Gamora 2014 - though how did Gamora 2014 get off planet?

AIW & AEG gave a big boost to Nebula and Gamora and continued to flesh out Rocket and Groot to a lesser extent.  Nebula and Rocket worked great with the Avengers.   Drax had some fun stuff in AIW.   Neither film did much for Mantis.  But Quill?  I'd say the movies damaged him but I wasn't much of a fan to begin with - but he got a lot of hate from fans because of AIW.  I wonder if they'll still position him as the lead when it should be Rocket, Gamora and Nebula and the forefront.   They teased Thor being with them but I can't see that happening with Gunn back in charge - it would further devalue Quill as the lead.

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I thought Nebula was terrible in GOTG2 - poorly written and acted.  She was one of the high points in GOTG2.    AIW & AEG though took her to another level.   Nebula became more an Avenger than a Guardian.  I'm surprised she didn't stay on Earth.   I guess it will be explained that she's searching for Gamora 2014 - though how did Gamora 2014 get off planet?

AIW & AEG gave a big boost to Nebula and Gamora and continued to flesh out Rocket and Groot to a lesser extent.  Nebula and Rocket worked great with the Avengers.   Drax had some fun stuff in AIW.   Neither film did much for Mantis.  But Quill?  I'd say the movies damaged him but I wasn't much of a fan to begin with - but he got a lot of hate from fans because of AIW.  I wonder if they'll still position him as the lead when it should be Rocket, Gamora and Nebula and the forefront.   They teased Thor being with them but I can't see that happening with Gunn back in charge - it would further devalue Quill as the lead.

I don't think Chris Pratt's a very good actor, but he gave arguably the best performance in Infinity War outside of maybe Josh Brolin, so I don't see how it devalued Quill at all. Also, Guardians 3's script was finished before Gunn got fired, so he would have known about Thor being a Guardian by the end of Endgame while writing Vol. 3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I don't think Chris Pratt's a very good actor, but he gave arguably the best performance in Infinity War outside of maybe Josh Brolin, so I don't see how it devalued Quill at all. Also, Guardians 3's script was finished before Gunn got fired, so he would have known about Thor being a Guardian by the end of Endgame while writing Vol. 3

Oh I'll argue that.  I thought he was just OK though still insufferable at times and not as funny as he think he is - though better than he was in GOTG2.

We don't know if Thor is a Guardian yet.  It could have just been written initially as him hitching a ride, which seems more likely than him being a significant part of the script.  At the time they were going to start filming it GOTG  this year while Hemsworth was making other films and not under contract.

They've certainly established Quill finding Thor's popularity with the rest of the crew more than a little annoying.  I won't be surprised if he ends up orchestrating a 'Where's Thor?" scene pretty early in the movie.

Edited by Horner