ddddeeee

HELLBOY | April 12 2019 | David Harbour

9 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Overall, I enjoy Neil Marshall's movies.  Dog Soldiers was great, The Descent was good.  I loved Doomsday, though the tone was all over the place. I want to see Hellboy, so I have a better idea about what did he try with this one.

Hellboy's producers look like a pain in the ass. The duo who worked on Die Hard 1 and 2 and the dude who produced the Expendables movies ( Avi Lerner ). I know they're hard to work with, based on past comments from directors.

He also directed some of the best Game of Thrones episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh God, where do I begin? Without going into details and writing a book (or review), there are so many problems with this movie.

Editing. Some of the acting was laughable at times. Also, the movie moves too fucking fast. They hop from scene to scene like it's something that most movies do.

I think a lot of the issues could have been fixed by tightening up the script and getting an experienced and competent editor. It's like they screwed around during principal photography and then realized they had a movie to make, then patched this thing up together.

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed after seeing a movie. Probably the 1998 Godzilla adaptation.

I wanted to BELIEVE, damn it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow. This was terrible. Trying to think of some redeemable qualities, but struggling to find any. I went in expecting schlock, a potential guilty pleasure, but this was sooo much worse than that.

Terrible acting, horrid editing, uninspired or downright bad cinematography which made the crap action seem boring at best and unintelligible at worst (they had the one sequence with the giants that might have been interesting, had they actually had enough of a budget to make it look good), absolutely atrocious CG (there was the one scene at night, with loads of creatures, where they honestly looked like out of a PS2 game - I know that line is used superfluously on the internet, but GODDAMN!), the over-the-top and unnecessary gore and disgusting images (Del Toro's movies had some amazing creature design, without resorting to this kind of shit), the jokes that didn't land 95% of the time... And on and on and on. 

I honestly think that I might have been able to look at it as some crappy, cheesy movie if they cut some of that gratuitous shock factor out. It was so OTT it went beyond shock and awe and just became tiring to watch.

I personally think the Fant4stic disaster was far less of a dumpster fire than this. 

• Knock It Off 1

It wouldn't have made profit with a let's say 80M or 100M production budget but with a budget of ca. 50M a (really) good Hellboy movie would have found its fans, especially worldwide. In Germany, the disappointment after the trailers and even more after the reviews was big. Many said that they will still see it but now at home...

Overlord might a good comp for this... Hellboy was close to it on Fandango Pulse on Thursday 5369 vs 4522 for Overlord. Overlord was also a bloody R-rated flick but it had good reviews.. so :thinking:

Overlord had 0.9M previews and 10.2M OW, think Hellboy could do something similar :ph34r: 

Just saw it. It's mostly as bad as they say, although there are a couple of good fight scenes and the practical creature FX are pretty neat actually. CGI is a mixed bag and so is Harbour.

It's just a terrible script with shit editing. It's got three or four really big, really cool ideas that would've made for interesting movies all on their own, but instead they're crammed together in a Hellboy movie. 

Spoiler

For example, they could've made an entire movie about a secret society hunting giants in England

Edited by tonytr87

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

What is happening with user score on RT, another flash mob against critics?

Audience score is now at 69%. That's somewhat below average for a CBM after opening night. Venom was sitting at 89% for nearly a month.

Edited by ThePhasmid

18 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

4% top critics this is LEGENDARY AF

Man, that brings back memories of when Uwe Boll was at the height of his career.

I miss Uwe in a way. His films were absolute shit, but man,he inspired critics to their best efforts. Their reviews of Uwe's films were often very enteraining to read.

2 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Audience score is now at 69%. That's somewhat below average for a CBM after opening night. Venom was sitting at 89% for nearly a month.

In the incredibly inflated

3 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Just saw it. It's mostly as bad as they say, although there are a couple of good fight scenes and the practical creature FX are pretty neat actually. CGI is a mixed bag and so is Harbour.

It's just a terrible script with shit editing. It's got three or four really big, really cool ideas that would've made for interesting movies all on their own, but instead they're crammed together in a Hellboy movie. 

Reveal hidden contents

If you don't have a good script, you don't have anything.

As I right in guessing that the offbeat humor that is so important to both Hellboy the comics and the Del Toro movies was totally messed up or just plain missing in this movie?