ddddeeee

HELLBOY | April 12 2019 | David Harbour

Hellboy as a character has a pretty niche appeal. If even well recieved Hellboy movies that got over 80 % on RT like Del Toro's movies struggled to make a profit at the box office then a terrible Hellboy movie will do even worse. The opening will be small and the terrible word of mouth and Endgame will kill any legs for Hellboy. Another terrible bomb for Lionsgate.

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

and the director didn't get the final cut ( he didn't have the final say in his own movie ). I think the same thing happened in Thor The Dark World, where the director got kicked off by the producers and the final cut wasn't his

I just looked up Lawrence Gordon & Lloyd Levin, they did a lot of titles together. On a first glance a lot of impressive titles, but a lot of those did have weak points that have a lot in common. Hmmmmmm

Didn't review(s) say ~ nothing fresh, too much like 80/90? I guess the GoT director is more rooted into today.

Might be a wrong first idea how to see the situation, have to go on research for later conclusions.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0330383/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0505656/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

One of my most beloved movies had the same situation: 13th Warrior.

I have always to ignore the bad editing,... but can somehow still really enjoy the movie

For the ones who know a bit about that: e.g. the jealous young relative that got build up, his champion gotten taken out and then... the relative never was in a scene to see for the rest of the movie.

In that case it was a mix of reasons why ppl jumped in to change the movie, the biggest was the writer of the book the movie is based on, thought he can do it also (he could not)

Its sad how the bad parts of those projects way too often smudge the name of the director or DP instead of the names of the source of the bad parts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first two Hellboys were great visual experiences. This looks like something that should've gone straight to VOD.

Neil Marshall films are actually great at production design. His horror films might have the best production design in modern horror films behind Del Toro horror films. The way they lit the movie and the sets in The Descent was brilliant. He seems to have completely dropped the ball here (but I heard some of the monster design is pretty nice in this movie).

Overall, I enjoy Neil Marshall's movies.  Dog Soldiers was great, The Descent was good.  I loved Doomsday, though the tone was all over the place. I want to see Hellboy, so I have a better idea about what did he try with this one.

Hellboy's producers look like a pain in the ass. The duo who worked on Die Hard 1 and 2 and the dude who produced the Expendables movies ( Avi Lerner ). I know they're hard to work with, based on past comments from directors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He seems to have completely dropped the ball here

it looks like he was not the reason, if he didn't even cut / finish the movie based on the posts here, see difficult producers (and way too many producers)

That is exactly what I just wrote its sad how the smudge ends on the director / DP and not on the people seemingly way more responsible for this

• Like 1

The Descent is incredible. It's one of my favorite horrors ever. It was recommended to me cause I was looking for something really scary, as most horrors tend to be either gore without scares or supernatural which isn't scary to me. But this frightened me even without the creatures cause I'm slightly claustrophobic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

There are times in all the trailers and TV spots where the effects looked at least serviceable if not great, other times it looks like Syfy.

They really should have just let Del Toro make 3. You know, once he actually got around to it.

Yeah with a budget of only 50M they probably should have made the movie more lower scale with mostly practical effects. Trying to make a large scale CGI movie on that kind of budget will just create terrible badly done CGI scenes.

• Like 1

One more thing, even with this being a reboot and reintroducing the character, I wouldnt say this was new viewer-friendly. 

The movie introduces with a villain (Gruagach/the pig-man) and an ally (Alicd/Sasha Lane's character) already having history with Hellboy and their backgrounds arent fleshed out til later after initial appearances.

I was okay with the "ok here they are & lets go on with the story" approach but it can be overwhelming for new viewers (like my companion) especially coupled with the movie itself being plot-heavy.

Edited by kaijukurt

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Saw this on the side of a bus this morning - another bad omen. @Avatree

very typical for this kind of flop film. studio has no faith in it (nor should they). the previous hellboy films did badly and they had the advantage of being good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

very typical for this kind of flop film. studio has no faith in it (nor should they). the previous hellboy films did badly and they had the advantage of being good.

I loved the first two Hellboy films, but won't even bother with this.

The killer for me was the jokes in the trailer...they totally did not get the off center warped humor that is so much a part of Hellboy in both the original comics and the two Del Toro films. And that the visuals are bad is not surprising...50 Million is too little for the kind of SFX heavy film they were trying to make Weird thing is low key,low SFX approach a la Deadpool could have worked with Hellboy...but the producers don't seem to have known what they were doing.

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

There are times in all the trailers and TV spots where the effects looked at least serviceable if not great, other times it looks like Syfy.

They really should have just let Del Toro make 3. You know, once he actually got around to it.

If he ever did.

I keep on hoping that Del Toro manages to use his Oscar to finaly get "The Mountains of Madness": underway. H,P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos has never had a good screen adaptation (which is ironic since Lovecraft's works have been very heavily borrowed from..the whole "Evil people trying to open a gate to antoher dimension and let the forces of hell lose on earth" plotline was invented by Lovecraft back in the 1920's) but if anybody could bring cthuluhu and his pals to the screen successfully it's Del Toro.

The only really sucessfuf film series to be based directly on Lovecraft is the Reanimator franchise...and that was based on one of his non Mythos stories..and one that Lovecraft himself hated,felt it was poorly written and the start of his career, and never permitted to be repringted in his lifetime.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Barnack said I was off the mark because I quoted that comment about Borat. You were talking about "PC critics" in the thread other times. I was talking about your comments generally. About the comments you made before Borat was even brought up. You talked about how critics are PC and will give anything politically incorrect bad ratings and that audiences won't watch anything that will "shock the system" or something. Neither of which is true. 

lol, I even started talking in this thread saying that the critics were probably right on this one, and you tried to shift this to "gaaarrr! this guy hates the PC critics!!!"? Had I said "a lot more people seem to be eating avocados these days" would you go on a totally random rant about how I'm wrong about liking avocados and we shouldn't rely on exported fruit?
Nice try, at best you can say you quoted the wrong comment. But your narrative would still be off.

As for the comment you improperly quoted. We can debate whether the GA is more or less lenient towards gore and gross out humor compared to a couple of decades ago. Considering the majority of movies that come out and succeed, yeah, I'd personally say it is less lenient (look at how South Park "evolved"), but if you want to simply say "Wrong! You're wrong!" knock yourself out.

Edited by WhiteWings

17 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

That's the one thing with Del Toro. He's a wonderful filmmaker, he just seems to be very indecisive in what he wants to make.

Hence his lengthy "Unrealized Projects" page on Wikipedia. Though he did resurrect Pinocchio recently so there's still hope for some of these movies. So many projects, so little time...

27 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

lol, I even started talking in this thread saying that the critics were probably right on this one, and you tried to shift this to "gaaarrr! this guy hates the PC critics!!!"? Had I said "a lot more people seem to be eating avocados these days" would you go on a totally random rant about how I'm wrong about liking avocados and we shouldn't rely on exported fruit?
Nice try, at best you can say you quoted the wrong comment. But your narrative would still be off.

As for the comment you improperly quoted. We can debate whether the GA is more or less lenient towards gore and gross out humor compared to a couple of decades ago. Considering the majority of movies that come out and succeed, yeah, I'd personally say it is less lenient (look at how South Park "evolved"), but if you want to simply say "Wrong! You're wrong!" knock yourself out.

No. My point is that there isn't a thing called PC critics who rate movies badly because they are politically incorrect (unless the movie is actually misogynistic or racist or whatever). 

And like I said, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a long-running TV show that is built on gross-out and politically incorrect humor. Still very popular with audiences and critics. And don't popular TV shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead have gory physical and sexual violence? I don't think the GA really minds violence too much. Hannibal was also extremely popular even though it is literally about a cannibal. In terms of movies, Quentin Tarantino movies are also pretty popular even though they use racist slurs and extreme violence.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No. My point is that there isn't a thing called PC critics who rate movies badly because they are politically incorrect (unless the movie is actually misogynistic or racist or whatever). 

What would be politically incorrect and not racist/misogynistic/whatever at the same time ? A misunderstood one by some people ? Yes usually critic will be above misunderstanding / taking at face value.

I imagine when someone call something else incorrect it is because they think it is actually misogynistic/racist or whatever, otherwise they call it good satire.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1