grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Just confirmed this from the prior thread, JL will edge out BATB for highest first day sales at this chain for something without Star Wars in the title. Again though, the caveat is that we don't know BvS or Civil War first day sales. BATB was 650k in 24 hours and 1M in 48 hours.

So $170M+ OW Possible.

Wanted to give an early tracking of Thor and JL from one of my locals...I'll do the other, later...and probably try to update this through next Thursday...this is as of RIGHT NOW:)...

1st local Thursday previews

Thor 4 shows - 2 3d 50/90, 13/90 , 2 2d 94/125, 56/125

JL 4 shows - 2 3d 36/90, 3/90, 2 2d 78/165, 55/165

Total Thor 3d 63/180

Total Thor 2d 150/250

Total JL 3d 39/180

Total JL 2d 133/330

Just now, YourMother said:

So $170M+ OW Possible.

Presales =/= all OW sales. Some movies are very presale heavy (like when Blade Runner was on par with movies which opened to 45M or so) and some are less so. It depends on how JL will behave with families as a movie choice over pre-Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Presales =/= all OW sales. Some movies are very presale heavy (like when Blade Runner was on par with movies which opened to 45M or so) and some are less so. It depends on how JL will behave with families as a movie choice over pre-Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend.

Obviously spectacularly well:)...just kidding...except I was the one who mentioned yesterday that I felt like JL could go after B&TB DOM, so at least your 1st day presale number gives me a warm and fuzzy that my gut's not WAAAYYY off yet:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Suburbicon isn't even selling particularly well at iPic either. I'm actually starting to wonder if it'll pull a Live by Night and just bomb completely. The similarities between the two are striking anyway (immense amount of talent both in front and behind the camera, period piece, poor reviews).

Edited by filmlover

I kinda hope Thank You has a mini break-out this weekend (nothing major, but I would love 8-10M). A few theatres around me have some openings for filler content next week, and I would much rather see Thank You than suburbicon

My locals (for Jigsaw tonight)...

1st local - 66/165, 25/165 for 91/330

2nd local - 5/175, 12/175 for 17/350

Wildly different sales - was there an Atom deal b/c my 1st theater is Atom and my 2nd is not...

1st theater seems to show Happy Death Day numbers, while 2nd shows Flatliners numbers, so who knows on this movie:)...

EDIT: Only deal I saw was the summer "see 4 movies and get digital copies free" from Regal...and the 1st local is Regal and Jigsaw is the last movie folks had to see...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Just confirmed this from the prior thread, JL will edge out BATB for highest first day sales at this chain for something without Star Wars in the title. Again though, the caveat is that we don't know BvS or Civil War first day sales. BATB was 650k in 24 hours and 1M in 48 hours.

I saved some of the presales data, Civil War tickets went on sale March 10th and on March 21st it was at $925k.  While sales drop off a lot after the initial rush to me it seems likely Civil War was behind BATB after day 1 since BATB was definitely ahead by the second day. 

Edited by MattW
  • Thanks 1

I think BaTB was behaving more like a huge Superhero movie with presales rather than your typical  family movie that it was.But it also had massive walk ups.And the film kept on rising and rising throughout its first weekend.

That being said,i think JL will play like your typical DCEU movie where OW is a little bigger than what presales are suggesting but  the DCEU's track record prevents people from buying tickets immidiately.I definetly think that had WW been not as good we would be looking at lower presales and numbers.If JL gets good reviews i can see it making close to BaTB's OW.

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My locals (for Jigsaw tonight)...

1st local - 66/165, 25/165 for 91/330

2nd local - 5/175, 12/175 for 17/350

Wildly different sales - was there an Atom deal b/c my 1st theater is Atom and my 2nd is not...

1st theater seems to show Happy Death Day numbers, while 2nd shows Flatliners numbers, so who knows on this movie:)...

EDIT: Only deal I saw was the summer "see 4 movies and get digital copies free" from Regal...and the 1st local is Regal and Jigsaw is the last movie folks had to see...

I think it lands somewhere in the $15-17M range for the weekend. That it's shown up on the charts, which is largely being conquered by holiday releases (which speaks to how bad the box office is right now more than anything else but still), at least makes me inclined to believe it won't completely fly under the radar this weekend.

Final totals for previews tonight:

Jigsaw: 38/78

TYFYS: 37/78 (16/78 with the military sales removed)

Suburbicon: 4/78

Jigsaw finished with 120% of HDD

TYFYS finished with 3 more tickets than OTB and 1 more than The Snowman without the military sales 

Suburbicon has the third worst previews of the year tied with The Big Sick and Terminator 2 3D; only Friend Request and Battle of the Sexes did worse with a grand total of nothing.

• Like 2