grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Bumblebee has to repair a franchise that has been sullied by so many garbage sequels. And there is a shit ton of competition out at the same time. The movie could open with $20M over the 3-day portion and still leg it out to a total higher than the last Transformers movie because it’s all about legs and not a big opening at this time of year.

It’s a blockbuster, legs  are key that’s true but the  launch determin the overall trajectory. The launch is covered by headlines thus determining a narrative around the movie. “Bumblebee flops with 20M opening” is not the type of headlines you wanna start your run with holidays or not. 

Aquaman is in the same position as Bumblebee regarding it  franchises yet it was able to rally and win over more people over the past few weeks.

also I wouldn’t take legs for granted just because it’s the holiday season. Under regular circumstances yes, but in a situation where you have 10 wide releases in the same window I don’t think Legs are guarantee.

It's important to remember that Bumblebee has a lot going against it. Movies like Aquaman and Spider-Verse have a lot more buzz and things going for them, and this is going off several divisive features, The Last Knight in particular. And true, Aquaman is coming off of Justice League, but at least the film's advertising itself as its own thing separate and unique from the other DCEU movies. To the GA, this just looks like any other Transformers movie. Should still be very leggy tho, and I'd consider it passing TLK as a success.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Apparently, they are rebooting it very early. Last year they released LK and now this. With those reviews, i hope it'll pick up 

I still think that maybe they should have more distanced bumblebee form TLK by releasing it summer 2019 or 4th quarter 2019 maybe. That way to could have  marketed as being a straight up reboot. The fact that it so close to TLK gives the impression to many that it’s just another Transformer movie.

1 minute ago, Manny G said:

It’s a blockbuster, legs  are key that’s true but the  launch determin the overall trajectory. The launch is covered by headlines thus determining a narrative around the movie. “Bumblebee flops with 20M opening” is not the type of headlines you wanna start your run with holidays or not. 

Aquaman is in the same position as Bumblebee regarding it  franchises yet it was able to rally and win over more people over the past few weeks.

also I wouldn’t take legs for granted just because it’s the holiday season. Under regular circumstances yes, but in a situation where you have 10 wide releases in the same window I don’t think Legs are guarantee.

The Transformers franchise collapsed completely with its last movie. This movie is all about fixing that brand.

And yes, it is about legs at this time of year. Even Passengers, a movie that wasn’t particularly well-received, had a great multiplier from a mediocre opening two years ago.

• Like 1

So, Thursday night theater report (I'll try to update later)...

Cinemark

Spidey - 45 sold (6 2d shows), 8 sold (1 3d show) = 53 sold

Mortal Engines - 0 sold (2 shows)

Regal

Spidey - 83 sold (3 2d shows), 35 sold (3 3d shows) = 118 sold

Mortal Engines - 18 sold (4 shows)

Pretty empty shows all around, except for 7pm Spidey ones (and even then, my Cinemark is dead...should have gotten their set done and presales up earlier than Tuesday night!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

45 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Spiderverse

looks to challenge 50M opening

only 90M budget

is called a bomb

tenor.gif?itemid=5636523

$50m? I thought it was $30m, whoops. $50m would be great. $30m wouldn’t. 

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Remember when everyone thought TGS was doomed with that 8M OW? 

That was a completely normal reaction at the time though.

TGS was a phenomenon (a fully deserved one, too, IMO)

35 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Remember when everyone thought TGS was doomed with that 8M OW? Not saying Bumblebee will have those kind of legs, but it’ll pass 100M with ease and be an OS monster.

By overseas monster you mean a Chinese monster? Because TLK did very mediocre numbers in Europe and SA

28 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Bumblebee has a $102m budget, and it is very likely to make $500m + worldwide, he is safe,  do not worry people.

If true, this is sensational stuff, if you consider, that the main character is a CGI Robot, that has all of the screen time.

• Like 1

Pulse always 8:50-9:04 EST:

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: 132/15 - yesterday 51, 159% up
The Mule: 41/15 - yesterday 43
Mortal Engines: 17/15, yesterday 13

And Pulse always 10:50-11:04 EST:

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: 234/15 - yesterday 119, 97% up
The Mule: 100/15 (no cheating, it were exactly 100 ;)) - yesterday 48, looks good for 20M (just judging from presales of course), unfortunately I have no Widows numbers for Thursday, all I have for comparison is The Girl in the Spider's Web with 42 tickets same day and daytime; Widows had also 100 sold tickets but on Friday
Mortal Engines: 33/15 - yesterday 19, still poor

And MT:
#1 Spider-Man 15.2%
#2 The Grinch 10.2%
#3 The Mule 7.7%
#4 Ralph 2 6.2%
#5 Roma 4.7%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4