grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 hours ago, rerga said:

The BvS collapse happened right on opening day to Saturday and that universe had no goodwill.  The MCU has enough goodwill that they could pull off "it's for the fans"

Batman is/was at the time the biggest single character in pop culture; he had shitloads of good will.

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Welcome to the madhouse! What a time to join. The April 26-28 weekend thread should be a blast!

That gives me a thought: For those who have been here for awhile, what would you say was the most fun weekend thread? Jurassic World? Black Panther? TFA?

Since 2001, when I started following:

Tier 1: The unexpected mega breakouts that were also amazing movies that had insane legs to match their insane opening

1) The Dark Knight- best film of the bunch, over-performed to an extent previously thought impossible, broke legit every record from Midnights onwards; everyone knew it would be big but nobody thought it would explode to the extent that it did, easily the most talked about film of the 2000s (due somewhat to Ledger prerelease tragedy) only possibly rivaled by TFA in the 2010s, the hype that movie had opening week is hard to describe; it was a fucking topic on SPORTSCENTER for opening day, it won empires poll for "best summer movie" 4 weeks before it came out... World of KJ threads from its opening still exist, it was bonkers. It was also the first non-Star Wars movie of the tracking age to sell out mass screenings weeks in advance. 2008 was a year of extreme pop culture transition where millennial were really coming off age as the economy crashed - many of todays biggest names (Obama, beiber, gaga, Katy Perry) debuted that year...TDK was a true, legitimate cultural phenom (this is an overused term but it applies here); it had a stranglehold on the young adult audience tighter than any movie I can recall; MATRIX RELOADED had similar hype but everyone hated so it quickly subsided. TDK took that effect and realized its potential.

Nolan Bale TDK 4 would do insane numbers if it ever happened.

2) Spider-man 2002 - another one that everyone knew would be big but erupted beyond what was thought possible, really fun movie too; post 9/11 USA needed a noble, friendly hero and they got it big time with crowd pleaser. While X-Men had opened the door for the comic book movie crazy, it was Spider-man that exploded the genre into the biggest in Hollywood and one that hasn't let up since.

TBH I would be extremely curious to see another Raimi-Maguire-Dunst film would do; those films are quietly still beloved.

3) Avengers 2012 -  its numbers are very inflated due to its huge 3d share; no 3D and its opening weekend was only $172m and total barely over $500m - BUT - like the 1st two, this one over performed big time and was just an awesome popcorn blockbuster to boot. The first 'team up' movie had a novelty factor basically impossible to replicate; many die hard moviegoers rank this among their best films to see w/ a crowd in a theater. Movie cemented RDJ's Stark as the most bankable character since Depp's Jack Sparrow while Evans and Hemsworth also become etched in cinema history. 

The Force Awakens, The Dark Knight Rises, Infinity War, The Matrix Reloaded, Spider-man 2 and 3, Return of The King, Pirates 2, Sith and Potter 8 all had huge huge hype too. MATRIX RELOADED is the forgotten one but it almost certainly would have topped Spidermans record had it opened on a Friday, Spider-man 2 very likely as well had it opened on a Friday, so goes for Sith. JURASSIC WORLD and BLACK PANTHER were hyped but it didn't feel near as large as the other movies, though BP's popularity was insane post release and rivals all movies since TDK.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

NGL, I could!  I will check again in the morning.  I am not working off Fandango.  I'm working off of my Atom app.  It's faster to work off two screens.  Are you counting the Thursday showings after 12AM?  Cause I have those rolled into Friday.  ETA:  When you pull up the App it has 40 Showings (+1 Fan Event) available, but only 33 of those they're counting as Thursdays.

Yeah, I count everything listed under Thur b/c officially they count everything until 6am shows on Friday as Thursday Previews

There are 14 midnight and after so there's the discrepancy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, I count everything listed under Thur b/c officially they count everything until 6am shows on Friday as Thursday Previews.  There are 14 midnight and after so there's the discrepancy

AAAH.  Okay!  For many sanity, I was doing 12AM to 11:59PM, because I was going crazy otherwise thinking there were double showings.  I will make sure to update that when I finish up with the whole report!  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

• Like 1

Avengers: Endgame - Regal Edwards Ontario Palace IMAX & RPX (Friday)

IMAX 3D

3:00 PM - 233/532

IMAX 2D

11:00 AM - 365/532

7:00 PM - 481/532

11:00 PM - 410/532

RPX 3D

10:30 PM - 56/744

RPX 2D

10:30 AM - 115/744

2:30 PM - 76/744

6:30 PM - 536/744

RealD 3D

5:00 PM - 43/404

2D

9:00 AM - 100/404

1:00 PM - 114/404

7:30 PM - 325/411

9:00 PM - 341/404

Total

3195/7131 (44.8%)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Batman is/was at the time the biggest single character in pop culture; he had shitloads of good will.

Tier 1: The unexpected mega breakouts that were also amazing movies that had insane legs to match their insane opening

1) The Dark Knight- best film of the bunch, over-performed to an extent previously thought impossible, broke legit every record from Midnights onwards; everyone knew it would be big but nobody thought it would explode to the extent that it did, easily the most talked about film of the 2000s (due somewhat to Ledger prerelease tragedy) only possibly rivaled by TFA in the 2010s, the hype that movie had opening week is hard to describe; it was a fucking topic on SPORTSCENTER for opening day, it won empires poll for "best summer movie" 4 weeks before it came out... World of KJ threads from its opening still exist, it was bonkers. It was also the first non-Star Wars movie of the tracking age to sell out mass screenings weeks in advance. 2008 was a year of extreme pop culture transition where millennial were really coming off age as the economy crashed - many of todays biggest names (Obama, beiber, gaga, Katy Perry) debuted that year...TDK was a true, legitimate cultural phenom (this is an overused term but it applies here); it had a stranglehold on the young adult audience tighter than any movie I can recall; MATRIX RELOADED had similar hype but everyone hated so it quickly subsided. TDK took that effect and realized its potential.

2) Spider-man 2002 - another one that everyone knew would be big but erupted beyond what was thought possible, really fun movie too; post 9/11 USA needed a noble, friendly hero and they got it big time with crowd pleaser. While X-Men had opened the door for the comic book movie crazy, it was Spider-man that exploded the genre into the biggest in Hollywood and one that hasn't let up since.

TBH I would be extremely curious to see another Raimi-Maguire-Dunst film would do; those films are quietly still beloved.

3) Avengers 2012 -  its numbers are very inflated due to its huge 3d share; no 3D and its opening weekend was only $172m and total barely over $500m - BUT - like the 1st two, this one over performed big time and was just an awesome popcorn blockbuster to boot. The first 'team up' movie had a novelty factor basically impossible to replicate; many die hard moviegoers rank this among their best films to see w/ a crowd in a theater. Movie cemented RDJ's Stark as the most bankable character since Depp's Jack Sparrow while Evans and Hemsworth also become etched in cinema history. 

The Force Awakens, The Dark Knight Rises, Infinity War, The Matrix Reloaded, Spider-man 2 and 3, Return of The King, Pirates 2, Sith and Potter 8 all had huge huge hype too. MATRIX RELOADED is the forgotten one but it almost certainly would have topped Spidermans record had it opened on a Friday, Spider-man 2 very likely as well had it opened on a Friday, so goes for Sith. JURASSIC WORLD and BLACK PANTHER were hyped but it didn't feel near as large as the other movies, though BP's popularity was insane post release and rivals all movies since TDK.

I know you are a DC fanboy but no need to mention 50th time that Avengers numbered were inflated. Nobody in the film industry thought Avengers would gross as much as it did. Sure 3D played a part because at that time 3D was in favourable condition. Also unlike TDK which was only Domestic over performance Avengers was Worldwide phenomena. Same applies to TDKR. If even as you say it would have broken OW record it wasn't so hot overseas. And don't even try to compare IW war to any of them cause IW and TFA are in league of their own. IW broke many records in many countries and set new records. It also broke trailer records. TDK and TDKR don't even come near that level. I remember last year I wasnt able to watch IW until 3rd weekend coz for 1st 3 weekend it was sold out all the shows form 7am to 11pm in the night. And now comes the question of AEG no movie comes close it's breaking records by almost 3 times the previous records in many countries in presales only. Also how many times you mention TDKR would have grossed this much or that much that is only speculation because no one knows how it would have performed. So just let it be...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Blah blah blah , who cares about your rumblings ? Go write a book or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the tracking thread. Not the fanboys Wars thread. So we don’t need your Wikipedia entries about how great DC movies would have done had they been released other times or whatever. There is a fanboys war thread for that. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

1. What is the source for that number because TA had 52% of its weekend from 3D and doing basic math, that will account for 86 (207*0.52*0.8) + 99 = 185mn and full run of 560mn Approx.

2. That said, I don't agree of these films as big as Infinity War let alone TFA and Endgame and that's only domestically, worldwide this is simply laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People on BOT: PikaPika stans are annoying with their joke predictions

CBM fanboys: Actually ruining threads with their very petty infighting

People on BOT

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

As for most impressive:

1.) IW/Endgame/TFA (hyped sequels to beloved franchises)

2.) Jurassic World (came out of nowhere, like that showcased the true power of nostalgia at the market imho)

3.) The Avengers (first team up movie ever and caused the cinematic universe thirst)

4.) Spider-Man/Shrek 2/TPM (the first showed the true potential of CBMs, the second so many people sleep on as it was the biggest film of 2004 and held the animation record for over 12 years, and still holds on to the adjusted record (I think the 5 day is in the near $190M range), and TPM although bad showed the love for Star Wars and actually had decent legs.

5.) Pirates 2/TDK (that jump)

I would include Potter 8, Incredibles 2 (was one of the few people along with @DAJK to say $500M+ was happening), Spider-Man 3, and Sith has some impressive OWs.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Guys guys, DC fans are just upset that End Game will probably make more than BvS WW in its OW alone and by its first Monday will have grossed more than BvS domestically. That's gotta hurt. 

*I'm out.* 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

cd50c38fa23d4c1abeeeec4b991fc71f9e67b803

Though I easily agree, all fanboys are awful, no matter the faction and make things harder image wise for the vast amounts of good fans.

alright so I just found something super unusual in my cinemas, In my country movies always officially open on Thursday and we usually have 2 or 3 showings on Wednesday as previews or advance screenings for high profile movies (it's usually on 8PM and 10PM, sometimes one of them is 3D). and that's how it has been here ever since I started going to this theater since 4 years.

Now for Avengers Endgame, tickets went on sale few days ago and they have NINE :huh:showings on Wednesday :rock: which is just bonkers as we never got more than 3 before.. even for IW. I took a quick look at them and the 2D showings are already 50%+ full.

We're in the Endgame now.

avengers.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As for most impressive:

1.) IW/Endgame/TFA (hyped sequels to beloved franchises)

2.) Jurassic World (came out of nowhere, like that showcased the true power of nostalgia at the market imho)

3.) The Avengers (first team up movie ever and caused the cinematic universe thirst)

4.) Spider-Man/Shrek 2/TPM (the first showed the true potential of CBMs, the second so many people sleep on as it was the biggest film of 2004 and held the animation record for over 12 years, and still holds on to the adjusted record (I think the 5 day is in the near $190M range), and TPM although bad showed the love for Star Wars and actually had decent legs.

5.) Pirates 2/TDK (that jump)

I would include Potter 8, Incredibles 2 (was one of the few people along with @DAJK to say $500M+ was happening), Spider-Man 3, and Sith has some impressive OWs.

Yeah still boggles my mind how much Shrek 2 made DOM. And I grew up with those films too so I know how massive they were growing up. Frozen 2 might be the last chance for an animated film to beat Shrek 2's adjusted gross.

• Like 1