grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Keyser is saying 18m true Friday. 

4 18 18 14= 54m OW

I thought he was saying 20M total Friday (16M true) but I could be wrong. 

Pikachu stayed flat on Saturday from Friday with previews, and that was much closer to summer. If 16M True Friday is true, I could see

4 + 16 + 20 + 15 + 9

(I might have that Sunday drop all wrong but let me know)

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I thought he was saying 20M total Friday (16M true) but I could be wrong. 

Pikachu stayed flat on Saturday from Friday with previews, and that was much closer to summer. If 16M True Friday is true, I could see

4 + 16 + 20 + 15 + 9

(I might have that Sunday drop all wrong but let me know)

When you see Sat flat from (true) Fri, it’s people pricing in Valentine’s Day

• Like 1

The unknown part of the equation with Sonic and Saturday is the question of how it plays with Families. Obviously its going to be inflated on Friday, but even looking at 2014 there isnt reason to assume it stays flat or drops as a given - IF it plays as a family film. 

If it ends up being Pikachu 2.0 and doesnt expand the family audience much then it definitely could drop on Saturday but it would also be evident by a poorer than normal hold on Sunday for family films with a holiday monday. 

🤷‍♂️ its a big IDK but I doubt Saturday drops from True Friday (its also more than likely cramped in potential increases to under 25% as well. )

• Like 3

I was too lazy to count Sonic the Hedgehog 😉.
The Photograph, counted today at 11am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 99 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 331 (total tickets sold for Friday, 10 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 41 / 126 (3 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 26 / 143 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 9 / 13 (5 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 1 / 21 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): showtimes): 1 / 17 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 2 / 47 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 69 / 152 (6 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 11 / 147 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 78 / 123 (3 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till today for Thursday: 337 and for Friday: 1.120.

The date helps a lot but also the Thursday number is looking quite good.
I think no film is perfect as a comp: Charlie's Angels had on Wednesday 218/398 sold tickets, Black & Blue 182/202 and Maleficent 2 1.190/1.444.
At the moment I would say that the projected 13M (3-days, boxofficepro.com) are too low.

Fantasy Island, also counted at 11am EST (no Thursday showtimes):

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): - / 129 (total tickets sold for Friday, 5 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): - / 96 (2 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): - / 2 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): - / 27 (5 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): - / 49 (6 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): showtimes): - / 38 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): - / 48 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): - / 131 (8 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): - / 49 (7 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): - / 94 (5 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till today for Friday: 663.

From what I read here, the first (OS) reactions are pretty modest (complaining that the IMO solid trailers are better than the film) but the Friday number itself isn't bad at all. Although I guess that's partly due to the fact that it has no Thursday previews.
Comps: Scary Stories had on Wednesday 645/475, Crawl 261/209, Countdown 170/131, Underwater 179/170 and Gretel & Hansel 199/190. The Turning had on Thursday 239/219 sold tickets.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

When you see Sat flat from (true) Fri, it’s people pricing in Valentine’s Day

Ahhh right right I forgot about that

Still, if Friday total hits 20M, I can see the 4-day still reaching 60

• Like 1

2020 is also an important year for the creation of new franchises and IPs (from a studio perspective). 2000s had LOTR and Harry Potter, replaced by Marvel and Star Wars in the 2010s. The 2020s needs something, and I'm all for studios trying things out and seeing what sticks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Just be glad that we're geting another huge hit. This year is a crutial year when it comes to the war between streamings and Cinema. I'm happy for any break-out we get. 

There is no war between streaming and cinema. 

Irishman is is cinema. 

Streaming is helping lots of director. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, DAJK said:

2020 is also an important year for the creation of new franchises and IPs (from a studio perspective). 2000s had LOTR and Harry Potter, replaced by Marvel and Star Wars in the 2010s. The 2020s needs something, and I'm all for studios trying things out and seeing what sticks. 

Yup. 

Sonic 

Jungle Cruise 

Raya :The Last Dragon

Onward

Dune

And many more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I feel a lot of it will be Lord of the rings, Marvel, DC, Star Wars again, will see for Avatar-Potter-Games of Thrones

No doubt a lot of the franchises of the 2020s will be continuing from earlier decades. But I do think it's inevitable that we get some new ones in the mix as well as the old ones start to decline. 

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Yup. 

Sonic 

Jungle Cruise 

Raya :The Last Dragon

Onward

Dune

And many more. 

Many of these will inevitably fail to start a franchise, but hey, even if we get some enjoyable one-offs that's good enough for me as a moviegoer. 

15 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Sonic, Dune, and Jungle Cruise are the only potential franchise starters on that list imo

Raya: The Last Dragon and Onward seem like one-offs

Don't we have franchise starters already. Pokemon is still in development likely for a release in 2021/2022. Mario is coming as well.

Maybe if Disney sees that video games are successful on the big screen they'll wake the hell up and adapt the goldmine they literally are sitting on.

TautAmusedEland-size_restricted.gif

I know it's hypocritical to be like man other studios besides Disney need to be successful when I want Disney to wake up and use Kingdom Hearts to it's fullest potential.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And many of those are quite old already....

LOTR was a movie franchise that started in the 2000's, even though the books are much older. The same could happen for e.g. Dune (given that the first failed attempt is largely forgotten) or Sonic (first game was 30 years ago).

Game of Thrones isn't a movie franchise, and won't be in the 2020's. Maybe in a couple of decades.

First original movie franchise/series of the 2020s is harder to predict, but hopefully there will be a few - or at least one.