grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Even if the books finally end during the early 2020s ?

The books are not going to end, the dude is going to die before he finishes them. 

He so far has made zero inclination that he's even done with the next book.

Edited by Cappoedameron

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Did you mean D-0+ D-1 “OD” or D-1 OD?

True Friday. I don't consider previews as part of OD.

That said, I'm a little worried that the hype among the fanbase will be driving up presales really high. It's possible that this could be a little more presale heavy. I guess the absolute worst case would be a 12 million OD (very very unlikely) if presales follow the normal pattern. I do wish we had Detective Pikachu nationwide data for a comp.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Sonic the Hedgehog Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 84 282 29.79%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 66 318 20.75%

SEATS SOLD SOLD TODAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
349 58 3938 8.86% 9 28

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 3.10M

Jumanji comp: 3.63M

Sonic the Hedgehog Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 89 282 31.56%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 77 318 24.21%

SEATS SOLD SOLD TODAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
444 95 4204 10.56% 9 30

Showings added: 2

Seats added: 266

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 3.44M

Jumanji comp: 3.48M

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Even if the books finally end during the early 2020s ?

GoT is a TV franchise and will stay there for a while regardless. Only after the end of any possible TV spin-off(s) would a movie reboot be considered, whatever happens with the books. So not before a couple of decades.

2 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 3.44M

Jumanji comp: 3.48M

Incredible numbers, you love to see it.

Edited by MrGlass2

NYC Local Mon   Tues   Wed   Thur   Previews Start
Sonic     56/771 (5pm) 93/1499 (5pm)       5:00 PM
Downhill     15/410 (5pm) 15/410 (5pm)       6:00 PM
Photograph     28/760 (5pm) 29/410 (5pm)       5:00 PM

COMPS

Sonic   (increased from 3 to 6 screens)

Shazam: $4.25m

Toy Story 4: $4.79m

TLK: $4.82m

Abominable: $2.37m

Mal2: $4.03m

Frozen: $3.8m

Jumanji: $3.1m

Doolittle: $1.64m

Photograph

Black & Blue: $1.03m

Harriet: $.99m

Last Christmas: $1.39m

Just Mercy: $1.16m

Downhill

Downton Abbey: $,8m

A Beautiful Day: $.375m

Ford V Ferrari:  $.59m

Knives Out: $.59m

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Sonic - MTC4
Opening Weekend Seat Report: T-1 days and counting

Last
Day
2 Days
Ago
3 Days
Ago
4 Days
Ago
5 Days
Ago

Shows Added 81            
Seats Added 18,641            
Seats Sold 2,149            

Shows Seats
Left
Total
Seats
Matinee Evening Total
Sold
Pct.
Sold
D-0 86 9,643 10,497 - 854 854 8.14%
D-1 238 53,440 55,143 285 1,418 1,703 3.09%
D-2 331 63,562 64,757 880 315 1,195 1.85%
D-3 296 56,998 57,589 441 150 591 1.03%

Total sales have double in the last 20 hours.  Things are looking up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Still think Sonic doesn't look especially good even with the redesign but there's been a scarcity of family fare since Frozen (Spies in Disguise and Dolittle were mostly ignored) and it's a long holiday frame so it's on track to make a very nice sum of money this weekend. It's also gonna do much better than if it had stayed with that appalling original design.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cJS said:

4 14 14 11

I always talk about true friday. May be I am too optimistic but data I am seeing is clear. Its bigger than Bad Boys even for Saturday PS. 

Also despite PS I dont see it stay flat on saturday despite VD. There is absolutely no history of a family movie staying flat in February. Plus the TMobile boost should play better during the weekend as friday is a school day. 

i will post updates detailed later but OD PS up to 107K. Probably will hit 130K today and then let us see how tomorrow goes. Probably not as high what I thought yesterday but still is looking good. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I always talk about true friday. May be I am too optimistic but data I am seeing is clear. Its bigger than Bad Boys even for Saturday PS. 

Also despite PS I dont see it stay flat on saturday despite VD. There is absolutely no history of a family movie staying flat in February. Plus the TMobile boost should play better during the weekend as friday is a school day. 

i will post updates detailed later but OD PS up to 107K. Probably will hit 130K today and then let us see how tomorrow goes. Probably not as high what I thought yesterday but still is looking good. 

I get your enthusiasm, but it is still important to recognize that Sonic's gonna have more kid's tickets, especially on Saturday. Being higher on Bad Boys is commendable, but it doesn't automatically signal an opening bigger than it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

If it indeed hits 130k today that would be amazing. 49k on Wednesday means it would have a good shot to add another 100k on Thursday and finish at 230k (!!!).

39 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Bad Boys is a bad example, though...that both had a highly diverse audience who are the least likely to prebuy and a very late swell of interest (I mean, remember, people weren't predicting huge breakout til they were literally looking at Thursday previews).

For the record, here was BB3's Thurs/Fri audience breakdown...

"Friday's audience was led by African-Americans (43 percent), males (56 percent) and ticket buyers under the age of 35 (57 percent), according to PostTrak."

1 minute ago, Movies4Life said:

Apparently, Box Office Mojo is listing the budget for Sonic The Hedgehog as $85M, not $95M as initially rumored: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl4244997633/?ref_=bo_hm_rs. Does this improve it’s box office chances now that it essentially cost the same as Birds Of Prey’s $84.5M budget?

You...you just asked this question in the Sonic thread a couple minutes ago.

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Bad Boys is a bad example, though...that both had a highly diverse audience who are the least likely to prebuy and a very late swell of interest (I mean, remember, people weren't predicting huge breakout til they were literally looking at Thursday previews).

For the record, here was BB3's Thurs/Fri audience breakdown...

"Friday's audience was led by African-Americans (43 percent), males (56 percent) and ticket buyers under the age of 35 (57 percent), according to PostTrak."

Bad Boys was selling really well even the day before. I agree that Sonic will likely be more presale heavy, but it's also looking like it will have significantly higher presales than Bad Boys did. Bad Boys sold 129k tickets between the 2 MTC by the end of Thursday, while Sonic will likely hit that number by the end of Wednesday and be above 200k by the end of Thursday.

Edited by Menor