kayumanggi

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY | 179.1 M overseas ● 392.9 M worldwide

On 5/31/2018 at 4:42 AM, Omni said:

Does it even make any difference?

Not really. it just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titianic; it's only a question of how big a bath Disney will take on "Solo".

4 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

This is so bad... Solo is a really good film!

A lot of films that are realyl good bomb at the box office.

I think that Lawrence Kasden's "Wyatt Earp" is one of the best westerns ever made,but it flopped big time at the box office.

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

The force users have only used Telekinesis, lightning powers and mild telepathy in the movies as far as I can remember. Tony’s suit in IW had more and varied powers than that. 

True, but the think about the force is it's so vaguley described that the writers can pretty much do what they want with it. I don't think that is by accident;it's one of the best McGuffins as far as powers go since Green Lantern's ring....

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

And 30m without any new market would be in the good range for franchise entry drop lately from a 65m start (-54%). Deadpool 2 went from 176 to 57 (-67.6%).

0 Competition, starting low, ok reception, Star wars being on the leggier side of franchises usually all helping I would imagine.

It’s OW was deflated due to the CL finals, which watched by millions around the world, especialy in Europe where SW movies are traditionally strong. This is why the drop this weekend is on a relatively lower side.   

Besides as you said no new competition this week also helped. 

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

True, but the think about the force is it's so vaguley described that the writers can pretty much do what they want with it. I don't think that is by accident;it's one of the best McGuffins as far as powers go since Green Lantern's ring....

If that is the case then the writers (for the movies) are pretty unimaginative when it comes to potraying and using this vague power. Because all we have seen the force user do is what I mentioned above. At least in the Legends novels they use it various interesting way. It is like with HP, they too have magic inside them but they use it in so many different ways. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

$30M is actually good, I was expecting it to drop harder.

With 13-14M in weekdays, it will be at 128-129M.

Should drop 60-65% next weekend (11-12M weekend). Cume would be 140M.

Should finish with 160M in current markets.

Japan should do 15M, 20M if lucky. 175-180M finish.

DOM is headed for 210-215M as of now. Needs a bit of luck to get to $400M WW.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It’s OW was deflated due to the royal wedding and the CL finals, both events watched by millions around the world, especialy in Europe where SW movies are traditionally strong. This is why the drop this weekend is on a relatively lower side.   

I don't think it opened on the Royal Wedding weekend..?

Solo, DP2 and IW all had soft drops this weekend which is attributed to the CL final last weekend depressing numbers. Royal wedding may have contributed slightly but that was 2 weekends ago, I think if someone wanted to see a movie but couldn't due to that, they would've caught it before this weekend. 

16 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Solo, DP2 and IW all had soft drops this weekend which is attributed to the CL final last weekend depressing numbers. Royal wedding may have contributed slightly but that was 2 weekends ago, I think if someone wanted to see a movie but couldn't due to that, they would've caught it before this weekend. 

I think it's more than that Childrens Day in China, Increases in Brazil, bad weather in Europe and part of Germany had a holiday on Thursday etc.

Checked a few multiplexes in my country to see the time slots for JW2 and damn they dropped solo like a bad habit. Now it is basically playing in as many screens as IW while Deadpool 2 is playing in substantially more screens with JW2 obviously dominating the premium screens.

Edited by Thrylos 7

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I feel that could be common, we could see a ugly intl weekend drop for Solo (after a rather good second weekend hold)

Solo dropped 70% in its second weekend in Greece, the country @Thrylos 7 is referring to, so it will be hard to drop more than that percentage-wise, even if the screen count has dropped a lot.

Solo dropped out off the top 35 in SK after the JW2 OD. The day before solo was at nr 6. I think it lost all showtimes in SK.

EDIT: I hope it's just a bug in their system, but I still can't find it.

EDIT, EDIT: It's at place 16, with 682 adm. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

Solo dropped out off the top 35 in SK after the JW2 OD. The day before solo was at nr 6. I think it lost all showtimes in SK.

EDIT: I hope it's just a bug in their system, but I still can't find it.

No, it was #16 on Wed

9 minutes ago, Proxima Olive said:

No, it was #16 on Wed

Well than the system was bugged when I checked it, went over the top 35 3 times. Right now I can see that Solo is on the list. 

The better for Solo, maybe $50k more to go at max.