Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

just got out from my IMAX-3D viewing of the movie at Lincoln Square 13 and recognize it as a well-made movie but found it to be boring overall (there are a few good moments). On my way out of the theatre I actually heard a woman say to her boyfriend/ husband that she found it to be boring too. 

I'll write a detailed review later. 

By the way, this doesn't hold a candle to Man of Steel or BvS (UE), both of which are much more entertaining.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

If you're a fan of him you should definitely see King Arthur; it's a blast.

My top 2017 so far:

Logan - 10

Wonder Woman - 9.5 (might go up with second watch actually)

Guardians of the Galaxy v2 - 9

John Wick 2 - 9

Split - 8.5

Get Out - 8.

King Arthur - 8.5

Ghost in the Shell - 8

Pirates of the Caribbean Five - 8

Fate of the Furious - 8

Resident Evil Final Chapter - 7

Just looking at your ratings reminded me of the supposed saturation of comic book movies. I guess that's a moot point if they continue being good. 

• Like 1

We truly have been spoiled with the CBMs this year. Logan, GotG2, WW...hard to whine about the saturation of them when they're this good. Kinda feel bad for Homecoming though, even if it's good I highly doubt it will be up to par with the bar set this year. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I've heard Apocalypse is really the only boring one of the series though, so I'm probably gonna continue my binge on the series leading up to the @God Emperor Tele Approved® Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. 

The Final Chapter improved a lot for me on rewatch once I got used to the whiplash editing. Still a C- film but raised a full letter. The only one I really like out of that series is the original and I liked the trailer for the one after Extinction because of the song.

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow, Zack Snyder himself is gracing our board with his presence. 

WW has a great color pallette and very good lighting, fantastic acting (notably and surprisingly in regard to Gadot herself), and clever humor. However, it's one dimensional in terms of its trite message, which is that war is bad and humans are flawed.

Furthermore, its action is sparse and merely okay (especially in comparison to the battles of Smallville and Metropolis, the famous warehouse sequence, and the Trinity's fight against Doomsday). None of it is as grand as what we see in the aforementioned sequences of the film's first two franchisal predecessors or as well directed; most of it feels generic in terms of camera movement and framing and choreography and are montages as opposed to battles that have actual structures that tell a narrative in and of themselves. 

Edited by BluRayHiDef

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

We truly have been spoiled with the CBMs this year. Logan, GotG2, WW...hard to whine about the saturation of them when they're this good. Kinda feel bad for Homecoming though, even if it's good I highly doubt it will be up to par with the bar set this year. 

I'm looking forward to it but even be a better reboot than TASM still puts it behind all the other CBMs this year. I just hope this streak continues. 

11 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

WW has great cinematography, fantastic acting (notably and surprisingly in regard to Gadot herself), and clever humor. However, it's one dimensional in terms of its trite message, which is that war is bad and humans are flawed.

Furthermore, its action is sparse and merely okay (especially in comparison to the battles of Smallville and Metropolis, the famous warehouse sequence, and the Trinity's fight against Doomsday). None of it is as grand as what we see in the aforementioned sequences of the film's first two franchisal predecessors or as well directed; most of it feels generic in terms of camera work and choreography and are montages as opposed to battles that have actual structures that tell a narrative in and of themselves. 

:wintf:

Isn't this the same thing?

Edited by BeastByTheBay

Not sure what the first superhero movie I saw in theaters was. I don't think it was Batman. And it might not have been Batman Returns, either, since I didn't really go to see movies by myself before 1994. That might mean it was Batman Forever, which is kinda horrifying to consider.

I know I saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but that's not quite superhero.

Oh, wait... I saw Howard the Duck in the theater.

Since everyones posted their films of 2017, guess I'll join in because I like lists:

A:
Wonder Woman

A-:
Logan

B+:
John Wick: Chapter 2
Personal Shopper
Alien: Covenant
Split

B:
Colossal
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
The Fate Of The Furious
Kong: Skull Island 

B-:
Ghost In The Shell

C+:
Get Out 

C:
The LEGO Batman Movie

C-:
Beauty And The Beast 
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Underworld: Blood Wars

D:
The Bye Bye Man

D-:
Rings

On the cards: Before I Fall, Life, A Cure For Wellness, Free Fire, Fist Fight, Power Rangers.....then more stuff this Summer. 

Out of those I've seen Logan, Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, Reisdent Evil: The Final Chapter and Beauty And The Beast two times.

I know I'm in the minority with Get Out but I really am not a fan of it. The hypnosis stuff took me immediately out of that film just like the over use of slo mo took people out of Wonder Woman. It does not have strong rewatchability and drags a lot in the middle. The end felt like 20 different horror movies I'd already seen. It was just kind of generic to me once you got past the social message stuff which I got the first time I watched it.

Out of those films, my favorites so far this year are Wonder Woman, Logan, Personal Shopper and Colossal.

Personal Shopper is a really unique film much like Colossal was unique for the way it told the hero/villain story. Like Nocturnal Animals & The Neon Demon it does not tell the audience what is happening. It's not filled with exposition and let's a lot of the visuals do the storytelling. Some really cool camera angles too.

Favorite out of the blockbusters is still Kong: Skull Island. I'd consider Wonder Woman a better film but that's more a complete story while Kong felt more like a turn your brain off summer movie (which is where I'd throw GOTG 2, Fate Of The Furious, POTC, Ghost In The Shell & Resident Evil).

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

But the thing with my grading list is I'm rating the movie compared to other films like it (example Get Out compared to other horror films, or Kong: Skull Island compared to other adventure blockbusters) and how effective I felt it was for that particular genre. 

With Beauty And The Beast, I'm definitely comparing it to the original due to how similar it is. I can't ignore how badly that film butchered one of my favorite animated movies ever and I could go on a very long rant about why I hate it so much.

Edited by somebody85

10 minutes ago, TLK said:

I have yet to see A Cure for Wellness but that trailer is fucking great. The shot of the train entering the tunnel is everything.

If it's as batshit insane as I've heard I can't wait to check it out once it hits home video. 

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

If it's as batshit insane as I've heard I can't wait to check it out once it hits home video. 

Ehh, it kind of isn't. There's really only one scene where it achieves the sort of creepy insane factor I was hoping for. And it's so long, almost 2.5 hours and you can unfortunately figure out the film's story beats fairly quickly.

But it is fucking gorgeous to look at. Gore Verbinski is an incredible visual director, but I wish he could rein himself in and start making tighter movies.

According to Deadline:

For the weekend of June 2-4, based on late night Saturday estimates:

1.). Wonder Woman  (WB), 4,165 theaters / $38.7M Fri. (includes $11M previews)/3-day cume: $97.1M/Total: Wk 2

2.). Captain Underpants  (DWA/20TH), 3,434 theaters / $8M Fri. (includes $650K previews) /3-day cume: $25.7M/Total: Wk 1

3.). Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales  (DIS), 4,276 theaters / $6.3M Fri. (-73%)/3-day cume: $21.3M (-66%)/Total:$114.3M/ Wk 2

4.). The Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (DIS), 3,507 theaters (-364) / $2.6M Fri.(-51%) /3-day cume: $9.7M (-54%) /  Total: $355.4M / Wk 5

5.). Baywatch (FOX), 3,647 theaters / $2.6M Fri.(-54%)/ 3-day cume: $8.5M (-54%)/Total:$41.3M/ Wk 2

6.). Alien: Covenant (FOX), 2,660 theaters (-1,112) / $1.1M Fri. (-61%)  /$3-day cume: $3.9M (-63%)/Total: $67.1M Wk 3

7.). Everything, Everything (WB/MGM), 2,375 theaters (-426) / $1M Fri. (-50%)//3-day cume: $3.1M (-48%) /Total:$28.1M/  Wk 3

8/9.). Snatched (FOX), 1,625 theaters (-1,033) / $385K Fri. (-65%)  /3-day cume: $1.3M (-68%) / Total:$43.8 M / Wk 4

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (FOX), 2,088 theaters (-1,086) / $368K Fri. (-71%) / 3-day cume: $1.3M (-70%)/ Total: $17.9M/Wk 3

10.). King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (WB/VR), 1,222 theaters (-1,281)/ $322K  Fri. (-64%) /3-day cume: $1.1M (-67%) /Total:$37.1M / Wk 4

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Ehh, it kind of isn't. There's really only one scene where it achieves the sort of creepy insane factor I was hoping for. And it's so long, almost 2.5 hours and you can unfortunately figure out the film's story beats fairly quickly.

But it is fucking gorgeous to look at. Gore Verbinski is an incredible visual director, but I wish he could rein himself in and start making tighter movies.

That's disappointing to hear although Verbinski's style is always incredible and the trailers looked phenomenal.