kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Moderation

Still don't want to listen? Fine.

I put a thread in the "Marvel Media" thread in our clubs section right here. If you want to talk about character development or whatever with superhero movies, please go here. I don't want to see any more funny business in this thread

43 minutes ago, Menor said:

Lol I read that one after seeing this post and....yeesh. What an awful review. It was more about that guy's political resentments than the film itself. 

My favorite part is when he randomly brings up how unfair he thinks the Russia investigation was. All because the villain of this movie kind of looks like Trump. 

• Like 1

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (12 hours before early screenings, 3 days before opening day)

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm VMAX 170/185 (+11)

7:00pm VMAX 115/133 (+14)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 14/133 (+6)

10:45am VMAX 19/185

10:45am GC 21/30

12:00pm 12/216

12:45pm GC 30/40 (+6)

1:15pm VMAX 16/133 (+2)

2:00pm VMAX 17/185

2:00pm GC 23/30

3:10pm 14/216 (+3)

4:10pm GC 27/40

4:30pm VMAX 6/133

5:15pm VMAX 14/185

5:15pm GC 25/30

6:30pm 13/216 (+4)

7:30pm GC 34/40

7:45pm VMAX 19/133

8:15pm 15/216 (+2)

8:30pm VMAX 34/185 (+2)

8:30pm GC 24/30 (+2)

Total: 377/2416 (+27)

Early VMAX are both less than 20 tickets away from capacity which is great. Another slow day for Boxing Day sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There has been a huge flood of negative reviews in the past day, including from top critics. To be honest, it’s a little disheartening. 

That's normal when you release the embargo early. Those who are very excited watch it first and inflate the rating. 

Edited by Menor

I was a bit surprised by the 10 pt drop in the past 24 hours or so, but Menor is right about the timeline of things here — there were fewer immediate reviews than usual, so they had a stronger selection effect than usual and some correction was to be expected. We’ve still got like 300 reviews to go, perhaps many of which will come after Xmas, but it will presumably wind up in the certified fresh 75-80% high 6 rating range like BOP and CM. Not amazing, but perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Unfortunately I think that's likely at this point. But BOP got good reviews. 

Can’t say I think it deserved it. It’s not as sloppy as Suicide Squad, but it tries way too hard to be a female version of the Deadpool movies. If nothing else, I can at least appreciate how short it is, which this movie clearly isn’t. 

59 minutes ago, Menor said:

79% is perfectly fine though, and the MC and Top Critic ratings are solid too. 

That is why I said with less than 200 reviews, this is most likely getting over 400 and it's most likely going to drop even more if it keeps going.

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

That is why I said with less than 200 reviews, this is most likely getting over 400 and it's most likely going to drop even more if it keeps going.

This week will (most likely) be the low point, unless GA response is bad which doesn't really seem to be the case outside of China. The later reviews tend to be from bloggers and don't usually change the score much. For example, Civil War began at like 98% for a couple of weeks, then dropped to ~90% in release week and held there. Infinity War actually went up with later reviews. It really depends on what the next wave of top critic reviews is like. 

Edited by Menor

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

I was a bit surprised by the 10 pt drop in the past 24 hours or so,

This is over the top. It’s 7% and 72 hours. 

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I refuse to believe it'll be worse than Birds of Prey or Captain Marvel. 

Don’t worry. 

I enjoyed Birds of Prey but this is much, much better. I’d say this is about 9 times better than Captain Marvel lol, each to their own of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is over the top. It’s 7% and 72 hours. 

It was 79 when I commented and I remember it being 89 pretty recently. I haven’t  been checking it super obsessively, so the “24 hours or so” was a rough guess.  

As indicated by the “or so.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

Whoever says the first movie is not good and dismisses Patty is a fool. The first movie was very good and had a lot of heart. Now, this second one i'll have to watch, but to me from reading some reviews it seems  more aimed at little girls. Not really a bad thing

Anybody dismissing Patty Jenkins even slightly should just stop talking BS and go watch Monster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Menor said:

79% is perfectly fine though, and the MC and Top Critic ratings are solid too. 

I guess that changed but isn,t top critic lower (76% with an average 6.8/10 rating versus 80% and 6.9/10 all critics score), same for metacritic 6.6 / 10 being a bit lower than RT 6.8/10 overall, does not seem to have any difference between top critic/MC and the rest at the moment, maybe that what you mean by being solid has they are usually lower ?

Will be interesting to see how the many court or outside court settlement with major partner will go with WB, unlike Disney, partner tend to be giant affair with those production, maybe act of God type of close could apply, but maybe not considering Japan and other market blockbuster numbers.

Edited by Barnack