CaptainJackSparrow

Jurassic World II OS Thread

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Decrease in all European countries except for Spain.

Increase in all Asian territories, with notably huge jumps in OW in SK (+125%) and Taiwan (+55%). 

Taiwan opening week: 7.9m, SK: 14.2m, per BOM. 

Just now, FilmBuff said:

Told you this was grossing 1 billion easily. Grace and Trylos need to stfu now. 

First of all you stfu . Secondly , and this is the second moronic post that I am seeing after the infamous one in the current weekend thread accusing me of rallying against O8 (a movie I have  posted one single post about ....in this weekend’s thread) , where the hell did I post that JW2 won’t cross a billion ?

Seriously do some of you have hallucinations about my posts or something ? The only thing I have posted about JW2 is that it’s S.K od was inflated by a holiday and that’s it. Of course it will do over a billion, of course I expected that and posted about it. 

Whatever, BP vs. JW2will be interesting to watch....

• Like 1

If FK able to drop from JW the same percentage domestically as TA>>AoU, that would give it 480M Dom.

So then it needs 865M OS to get pass BP worldwide. 

People seems to think 480M Dom is not feasible though. I think it is. Summer weekdays is great for family films. 

It should cross 450M at least, below 400M for a sequel to 650M grosser is bad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sam said:

If FK able to drop from JW the same percentage domestically as TA>>AoU, that would give it 480M Dom.

People seems to think 480M Dom is not feasible though. I think it is. Summer weekdays is great for family films. 

If it drops the same than The Lost World relative to first film, JW2 would do $418m DOM. I think about that amount could be the target.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sam said:

That's actually a really good comp to use. Since Ultron was more mixed than Avengers, just like FK and JW

And Europe seeing a decline and Asia an increase lies consistently. The only difference being that JW won't have the massive increase in China.

I reckon the WW-C drop may be identical to TA to AoU.

That gives 1433 for TA, 1165 for AoU and 1443 for JW1.

I gotta admit, those WW-C numbers for TA and JW1 are scarily similar. 

Official WW estimate:

1165 + China = 1365 to 1400. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peludo said:

If it drops the same than The Lost World relative to first film, JW2 would do $418m DOM. I think about that amount could be the target.

418M would be...not good.

But I guess there’s precedent. 

8 minutes ago, Sam said:

418M would be...not good.

But I guess there’s precedent. 

It might be near the high end

It's dropping about 30-40% in the major European markets o/w sans Spain.  

A similar 30-40% drop o/w in the U.S. =  $125-146m   A 25% drop would be  $156m - it would need a 2.68m to hit $418m.  Very doable in the summer but $480m though would require 3.07 for a sequel with I2 hitting the week after and AM2 also serves the family market.

Edited by TalismanRing

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It might be near the high end

It's dropping about 30-40% in the major European markets o/w sans Spain.  

A similar 30-40% drop o/w in the U.S. =  $125-146m   A 25% drop would be  $156m - it would need a 2.68m to hit $418m.  Very doable in the summer but $480m though would require 3.07 for a sequel with I2 hitting the week after and AM2 also serves the family market.

This comes out the weekend after I2 DOM.

1 minute ago, Tower said:

This comes out the weekend after I2 DOM.

Damn, why do I have them reversed?  :bagoverhead:

Probably because JW is already out. 

I still think sequel legs will be shorter than JW and it needs to open closer to $170m to hit $480m

Edited by TalismanRing

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

Well France always has a 5day start, germany a 4day, but 5day isn't that uncommon right? 

That's based on what you describe as common.

I would say that it's uncommon.

Often films appear like they started on Wednesday, if they have preview starting earlier than 23:59, those numbers are part of Wednesday (Solo for example)

The last film was Thor 3 that opened on a Tuesday on a holiday in all of Germany.

Nothing like that this week.

And JW had good legs in SK (3.55), UK (3.31), Ger (4.27)

• Like 1

NEW
JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

jurassic_world_fallen_kingdom.jpg?w=301&
Universal

The sequel to Universal’s 2015 reboot of the classic franchise opened in 48 markets this weekend as part of a staggered rollout that still has China and Latin America to come. The latter will fall day-and-date with North America in two weeks while the Middle Kingdom cozies up to T-Rex next weekend. The latter is handily looking like a $100M+ three-day bow.

JWFK, directed by J.A. Bayona, launched with $151.1M and No. 1s in all markets. The debut is slightly above the range the industry was projecting ahead of the session and lands these dinos 5% below the previous film’s opening in the same markets and at today’s rates.

The early offshore debut was partly down to targeting the similar frame from 2015, but it also helps to get the movie in theaters a week before kick-off on the World Cup soccer tournament — and it gives folks something to chew on after Solo: A Star Wars Story failed to ignite. There’s room for the raptors ahead as this is the key high-profile new release in the majority of international markets for a good few weeks. (The Incredibles 2 begins a staggered rollout next weekend.)

The lead hub for this Chris Pratt/Bryce Dallas Howard-starrer was Korea which was aided by the Memorial Day holiday on Wednesday June 6. There, it scored the biggest opening day in industry history and came out of the frame with an estimated $27.2M at 450 locations (including previews).

The UK, with $19.9M at 662 dates, is in line with The Fate Of The Furious while Spain, Bayona’s home turf, hosted a Saturday that was worth $3.6M for Uni’s best Saturday ever and the biggest in the market since November 2012. The full weekend is tracking above the first JW, although that film opened over two days and had no previews. India is also running ahead of JW, as are Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam, reflecting the continued growth there.

For the weekend, JWFK is the biggest for Universal ever in both Korea and Hong Kong. It chomped on the top June launch weekend in Iceland, the Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, India, Mongolia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

Across the franchise, JWFK now has the best opening weekend in Estonia, Hungary, Iceland, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Hong Kong, India, Korea, Mongolia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

In IMAX results, JWFK grossed $8M for the overseas opening on 277 screens. The per-screen average was $29K with particular strength from Asian markets which averaged $50K per screen. Among the standout averages were Sweden ($83K), Korea ($75K), Taiwan ($65K), Hong Kong ($61K), the Netherlands ($56K), Norway ($52K), the UAE ($50K) and France ($44K).

Overall, the Top 10 markets behind Korea are the UK ($19.9M), France ($10M), Spain ($9.5M), Germany ($9.1M), Taiwan ($8.4M), Russia ($8M), India ($7.9M), Indonesia ($5.2M) ,Thailand ($4.7M), Italy ($4.5m), Malaysia ($4.1m), Philippines ($4m), Singapore ($2.9m) and Netherlands ($2.6m). The film will hit theaters in North America on June 22 and will continue to roll-out in in 21 more overseas territories over the next month, including China on June 15, Australia and Brazil on June 21, Mexico on June 22 and Japan on July 13.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

Fingers crossed for 48m+ Sat (+79% from 26.8 Fri). Very tough but needs 48-50 for a realistic shot at 150 ow.

😝 Success!

Assuming Wed, Thu, Fri did not change from yesterday's numbers:

If Sun drop was 25% then breakdown was 20.2 + 19.1 + 26.8 + 48.5 (+81.0%) + 36.5 (-25%) = 151.1

If Sun drop was 30% then breakdown was 20.2 + 19.1 + 26.8 + 50.0 (+86.6%) + 35.0 (-30%) = 151.1

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

$1B OS doesn't seem likely unless it really breaks out in China. 

While thats true, 1B OS was never the bar for success for this. Anything above 750M OS would be extremely good imo, especially considering the 170M budget.

• Haha 1