grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

42 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Grace Randolph was rooting for Wonder Woman to do well became it came out, now she is pissed that it is a hit movie and starting to complain about it. She is one of those people that prefer underdog movies.

WB should be kissing Wonder Woman's feet for saving the DCEU.

Well, she is the lady that compared the DC fans that didn't like BVS or wanted to see it in its 2nd weekend to abusers, and that created a petition for a PG-13 cut of Deadpool because a little 8-year old kid who wanted to see it.

Opinions are opinions, and I don't like to just rip people apart personally, but this isn't the most valid or sane sounding madamme, is she?

I used to follow her very much but some things she says really don't make much sense. She was indeed rooting for WW to succeed, but i agree that she (intentionally?) underestimates the movie's success, always trying to put its accomplishment in some kind of perspective.

Also, I seriously couldn't believe what i was hearing when she gushed over TF5(!!)..

Edited by Xavier

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Actually, you mean 3rd and 4th, when Spidey and DM3 both hop them at the last minute:)...

DM3 ain't doing over $360M domestic.

There are no opinions when it comes to box office. Wonder Woman is performing extraordinary well.  Wonder Woman is not breaking records overseas but it was never going to do that.  DC doesn't have the same foothold that Marvel does overseas and more importantly Wonder Woman was not well known or relevant overseas before the movie came out. She's never even had a solo cartoon series. Grace Randolph has a lot of pathetic MRA fans and likes to play to them when it comes to genre stuff that stars women. She's pathetic.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

@Kalderic the Baywatch numbers were messed up on MOJO this weekend. Unless I missed something cause it had a decent increase on Friday as well as Saturday considering that T5 opened. 

MOJO had a ton of errors all over the site this weekend. Sad to see what it has become of late. 

1 hour ago, Kalderic said:

Have you not read any of the reactions thus far? From people who have actually seen the movie, it sounds like there is plenty that has not been spoiled... add in what looks to be a massive critical success, and I feel like Spidey could really bring it... especially if it really is as good as SM2, if not better.

Now if you have seen the movie and are saying everything is spoiled, then you might have a point, but I am going in expecting some surprises.

The are already a lot of reviews spoiling everything on Reddit and 4chan...Is not like the plot is so Secret though, there are like 20 different TVspots and around 4 trailers 

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

DM3 ain't doing over $360M domestic.

See, until things open and play out, I don't rule out much, since movies surprise all the time based on timing, circumstance, and quality...

So far, there has not been a bona fide animated hit this summer...nor one that attracted both girls and boys...and critics are not slamming the Minions that could yet...and there's just Emoji and a Nutty sequel through Labor Day...

So, I'll watch it play out awhile before I declare any number dead...

I'm genuinely impressed with Wonder Woman's run. It should become the biggest DCEU film next weekend or the middle of the next week. Madness. And it's not showing signs of slowing down, so my $358m dom prediction might still happen. Or even more. 

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Fourth week for Wonder Woman, and another week for Randolph to look for "negatives."  At no point has she mentioned how extraordinary the weekly drops have been and how loud the real-world buzz has been. At no point has she mentioned that the film has become a very real pop culture must-see moment, which is why the box office decreases have been so amazing and so atypical for a summer superhero blockbuster. At no point has she talked about the box office pace that it has followed, which has already put it ahead of all previous DCEU (at the same point in their runs). All she mentions is the things the movie still has not accomplished and what other criteria make Wonder Woman's box office "just ok." Of course it is no The Force Awakens. Of course it is no Titanic. Of course it is no The Dark Knight. It is a Wonder Woman film, and it is doing fantastically well all things considered.  I cannot wait for Spider-Man: Homecoming to come out so she can say, "Well, sure, it opened with 125 million, but Spider-Man has so much more potential! Let's not sugarcoat it, kids: Spider-Man opened with 174 million adjusted, and Spider-Man 3 opened with 194 million adjusted; clearly, Homecoming was a disappointment" (or something equally absurd). 

Grace Randolph is one weird lady, both in terms of her taste in movies but also her perspectives on box office and what the data means. It always feels like she has certain opinionated narratives to push. I still watch movie math weekly as it is pretty entertaining, but it is clear that she doesn't understqand box office quite as much as most of the forum members here.

18 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There are no opinions when it comes to box office. Wonder Woman is performing extraordinary well.  Wonder Woman is not breaking records overseas but it was never going to do that.  DC doesn't have the same foothold that Marvel does overseas and more importantly Wonder Woman was not well known or relevant overseas before the movie came out. She's never even had a solo cartoon series. Grace Randolph has a lot of pathetic MRA fans and likes to play to them when it comes to genre stuff that stars women. She's pathetic.

Actually, DC is bigger than Marvel in (most) of European countries, and it's getting bigger in LA as well. The main problem is Asia, especially China where it still hasn't a movie above $100m, while, MCU has a $120m floor there. That's the reason why MCU movies seems bigger than DCU OS.

There was very little reason to believe that Wonder Woman would pull in BvS style numbers overseas. If people expected that, that's their problem.

I think BvS would have made 100 million in China if it were actually entertaining.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

42 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There was very little reason to believe that Wonder Woman would pull in BvS style numbers overseas. If people expected that, that's their problem.

I think BvS would have made 100 million in China if it were actually entertaining.

Agreed. BvS started strong in China, well if only...

WW is a big win for DCEU, suddenly more people are rooting for them. WW domestic run is phenomenal, while it could have some more help from Europe overseas. But that is fine, the princess will only grow stronger. The cold never bothered her anyway. Lol.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm genuinely impressed with Wonder Woman's run. It should become the biggest DCEU film next weekend or the middle of the next week. Madness. And it's not showing signs of slowing down, so my $358m dom prediction might still happen. Or even more. 

358? 

Yea...that still might happen.

By July 4th.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

358? 

Yea...that still might happen.

By July 4th.

That was literally my highest prediction. That's my CRAZY prediction for WW, the one that people were saying that I was setting myself up for disappointment for weeks. Wonder Woman's run has been nothing short of magical. 

• Like 1