CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

3 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

Not to mention that it also appeals to an older demographic than most SHMs, and even to people who don't normally see CBMs. It's like a 4-quadrant-plus film. I've seen it a lot, and I'm surprised at the number of older couples (dare I say even elderly) that I've seen, and they seem to love it: lots of laughs, etc.  As some reviewers have notably said, WW is very balanced--it's not too dark, not too light, not too much action, and not too wordy.  Every time I see it, it feels shorter than its 2hr21min run time, and that is a rare accomplishment. It's hard to find a place for a bathroom break, for god's sake!

It's going to be referred to as one of the best examples of CMBs, and particularly origin stories, ever put to film.

yeah, people are sharing stories of seeing elderly couples in theaters, and buying senior tickets for their grandparents~ 

one review I remember pointed out that WW is "too actiony for ladies yet too romantic for guys"...I had my concern early on, but somehow this turned out not to be a disadventage...it's a rare breed of female audience driven action romance~

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What if WONDR beats CW and IM3?

Then WONDR will be top 5 cbms only behind TA, TDK, AOU, TDKR.

Is it really surprising?The most powerful legs are a center of  conversation:redcapes:

Edited by Brainiac5

6 hours ago, nomyth said:

Wondy's run's got people thinking it's easy to grab a 3x multiplier.

With SM's Sunday already below WW's, I don't see how it could possibly outgross its 2nd weekend. Keep in mind, WW jumped over 70% on its 2nd Friday. The biggest jump in the top 10 on the same weekend back in 2006 was 50%. SM would need extraordinarily strong weekdays to shoot for 60M. It would need like a 15M Monday.

Dam this is the slowest week I can think of on this forum regarding numbers especially for a big tent pole like SMH.

I finally have a gold account and I can dish out as many likes as possible, if you haven't got a like from me please PM me and I will dish out a like ... this was my promise if I ever win a gold account :D ... keep it coming before my gold end :sarah:

• Like 7

9 hours ago, teardropmina said:

I think it connects to the female demo in a way that it's not just a movie. 

this is just an example how WW gone viral, something might seem so ridiculous for males...

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/06/158291/wonder-woman-thigh-jiggle-male-gaze

the original tweet has gotten more likes and rt since ofc.

also, the wonder woman pose/gesture, clothing, hair style, uplifting quotes, and etc. are just so perfect for this twitter/instagram age.

Reminds me of Frozen and Beauty of the Beast a lot. Hunger Games and Catching Fire as well. All had very impressive multipliers, not as much Wonder Woman but all of them sold more tickets by a pretty wide margin DOM. Beauty and the Beast with a near 3 multiplier off a $175M OW DOM is almost as impressive as Wonder Woman's near 4 multiplier off at $105M OW DOM. And, as we all know, Frozen's multiplier was just outstanding as well. All of the aforementioned were marketed and aggressively appeal to the female demo. Not to mention, didn't hurt that all of 'em were pretty well received too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Age of Ultron with so middle of the road with that lame Spader-Bot "funny" villain, terrible romance between  Black Widow and Hulk, that boring Farmhouse sequence with boring Hawkeye's boring family and then that tedious third Act that was all about saving people because they were afraid to get a response like Man of Steel got. I didn't even bother to see Ant-Man in theaters because that movie exhausted me. And I completely regretted it because Ant-Man is so much better than that movie and one of the best MCU movies.

I agree. I loved "Ant Man", and it was way better than "Age of Ultron." And I think "Ant Man and the Wasp" could make as much as "Winter Soldier" at the worldwide box office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

I agree. I loved "Ant Man", and it was way better than "Age of Ultron." And I think "Ant Man and the Wasp" could make as much as "Winter Soldier" at the worldwide box office.

Ant-Man was super fun in the same ways that Spider-man was super fun. Neither is markedly cinematic - with does irk me to be honest - but both have a charming cast, charming leads, a smaller scale story and are very, very easy to root for... Both somewhat awkwardly reference and tie into the MCU as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Ant-Man was super in the same ways that Spider-man was super fun. Neither is markedly cinematic but both have a charming cast, charming leads and fun smaller scale story and are very, very easy to root for... Both somewhat awkwardly reference and tie into the MCU as well.

Because of the same scale situations, the writers and filmmakers were able to focus on the characters and their development. And it's great to see a Spider-Man deal with smaller situations.

I just realised that August is not as barren as usual and neither is the back half of July.Sure August wont have something like SS but still....i thibk it's not good for Spidey.

Many films coming back to back will take away screens.Surely not all of them will be hits or bif openers but their are bound to take away some of the audiences and theaters from Spidey.I mean...

Apes-will take away older audiences

Dunkirk-Older audiences,IMAX screens,theaters

Anabelle-it ahould have a decent run

And the we have The Emoji Movie,Atomic Blonde,The Dark Tower,Valerian etc. 

The 3 first are bound to have a good run,the others will just occupy screens (hell one or two...maybe Atomic Blonde?...may break out?)

WW also benefitted from being the only good film in a marketplace full of bad ones.After Spidey we get a film that currently has 90+% on RT (Apes) and one Nolan film that many critics are hailing as a masterpiece.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Trailer mix is out: http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/TrailMix_By_Deluxe_-_WK_28-_US.pdf

Not much in the way of new trailers outside of Shape of Water. Fox's attachments are a pool of that, Kingsman, and MOTOE, and Wish Upon has Friend Request attached. 

Friend Request was released here in theaters last November. Alycia Debnam-Carey <3

12 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Homecoming will have decent legs over the summer I think.

Think 300 is happening

$300M wouldn't even require remarkable legs for a summer film. 2.56x OW. 

Suicide Squad got to 2.43x OW with a 67% second weekend drop, and less benefit from summer weekdays. 

If Spider-Man Homecoming can manage at sub-60% drop this weekend, it should break $300M domestic without any problems. Competition falls off pretty dramatically after weekend #3, so I expect Spider-man to have pretty good late legs.