CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

58 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nolan is the only director who gets the budget to do the kind of movies he makes and put out large-scale original blockbusters anymore, he should probably keep that up. We have enough guys trying to be Paul Thomas Anderson, and way way too many Jon Watts. Nolan's got his own lane. 

Have you heard of this guy...what's his name...Cameron something?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Have you heard of this guy...what's his name...Cameron something?

OH Cameron Crowe.  I wouldn't call Jerry Maguire a large scale blockbuster

:P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

The budget was 209M, but with most of that money made back already and the marketing costs being split among the different distributors, it'll be tough for it to truly "lose" money.  EuropaCorp is only distributing in France I believe, where it'll likely be a hit, so I highly doubt they'll really lose too much.  STX will lose money on marketing if it doesn't do well enough in the US, not Europa (and even then STX will still have A Bad Moms Christmas coming later this year which will probably make back any potential losses Valerian might have)

From Mojo

Rounding out the top five we have STX's release of EuropaCorp's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, debuting in 3,553 theaters. Directed by Luc Besson, the original sci-fi feature is based on the 1967 French graphic novel series "Valerian and Laureline" by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières and is the most expensive French production ever, coming in at 197.47€* ($209m USD). The net budget for Valerian, however, is closer to $150 million of which an impressive 90% has been covered with foreign pre-sales, equity financing and tax subsidies. When it comes to STX's domestic distribution duties, they are receiving a distribution fee while EuropaCorp financed the entire film as well as prints and advertising.

* Valerian budget courtesy CNC.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4307&p=.htm

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

The budget was 209M, but with most of that money made back already and the marketing costs being split among the different distributors, it'll be tough for it to truly "lose" money.  EuropaCorp is only distributing in France I believe, where it'll likely be a hit, so I highly doubt they'll really lose too much.  STX will lose money on marketing if it doesn't do well enough in the US, not Europa (and even then STX will still have A Bad Moms Christmas coming later this year which will probably make back any potential losses Valerian might have)

Europacorp is paying for the marketing DOM. STX is literally only distributing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 75live said:

OH Cameron Crowe.  I wouldn't call Jerry Maguire a large scale blockbuster

:P 

The only person to see Emma Stone's Asian heritage

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Long range forecast:

-All I See is You - 6.5/15.6

-American Assassin - 10/25

-Mother! is being held off until a trailer drops

Updated predicts:

-Atomic Blonde down to 26/82.5

-Emoji Movie up to 30/105.5

-Dark Tower down to 33/84

-Detroit predicted added in as 13/31

-Kidnap down to 4/9

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-see-american-assassin/

I see they are underestimating Blake yet again.

All i see is you will over perform.

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Europacorp is paying for the marketing DOM. STX is literally only distributing.

Even then, that doesn't guarantee the film will lose money (especially with the net budget apparently only being $150M, with 96% of that meaning they only need to make 6M back from its production budget.  If we assume marketing in US/France will be about 100M total, then it doesn't need that much to profit from that especially with Valerian looking to hit big overseas).

Dunkirk looks like shit and is not epic at all because of Nolan s adamant refusal to use modern technology.

I thought I was watching the evacuation of Nolan's family and relatives.

Most war films of the past are most spectacular & epic and/or are better directed.

Dunkirk was all lame close-ups with no sense of scale whatsoever.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

With a budget that high no one is going to take a financial hit? I'm not buying it. Someone is downplaying this.

-San Andreas opened with 2M in Germany too, and that made 318M in foreign grosses.

-Legend of Tarzan opened with 2M, 230M in foreign grosses

-Great Wall opened with 2M, 286M in foreign grosses

-Conjuring 2 opened with 2M, 217M in foreign grosses

-The Mummy opened with 2M, 311M in foreign grosses

I can find more.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Dunkirk looks like shit and is not epic at all because of Nolan s adamant refusal to use modern technology.

I thought I was watching the evacuation of Nolan's family and relatives.

Most war films of the past are most spectacular & epic and/or are better directed.

Dunkirk was all lame close-ups with no sense of scale whatsoever.

Will be cool when dunkirk becomes an oscar player and we get to see this post again and again and again for seven more months.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Harley said:

With a budget that high no one is going to take a financial hit? I'm not buying it. Someone is downplaying this.

This. 

A few days ago they were saying that this cost 180M AFTER tax credits. Now they are saying 150M. I think Europacorp is doing damage control and lowering budget to save face.

5 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Yes, because how a movie performs in Germany is totally indicative of how it'll perform in other territories

I'm almost certain Valerian would actually perform better in Germany than in the anglosphere given how well some of Besson's films have done there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

-San Andreas opened with 2M in Germany too, and that made 318M in foreign grosses.

-Legend of Tarzan opened with 2M, 230M in foreign grosses

-Great Wall opened with 2M, 286M in foreign grosses

-Conjuring 2 opened with 2M, 217M in foreign grosses

-The Mummy opened with 2M, 311M in foreign grosses

I can find more.

Except Tarzan, none of them had 200+M production budget.