MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

So basically what we learned this evening. If Tele directed The People vs. George Lucas, it would be all about the sale to Disney instead of the prequels. :lol:

Honestly... fuck The People vs. George Lucas and the twerps who made it.

Never seen another high-profile creator be so nice to his fans... and all they ever do is spit in his face and continuously bitch about him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Remember how I said Animation is on crack in 2016? Well it's on quaaludes this year.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

Could be a "freshness" level, Cloud Atlas was a book adaptation but few movie ever felt more "original" to those who didn't had read the book, same for Guardian of the galaxy vs Antman/Dr.Strange type of more classic SH origin story.

I think people certainly already do in part what you are saying, they will consider has more "original" There will be blood/Cloud Atlas/Dunkirk/most biopic/historical event than an original script of a classic genre/tropes like an raunchy party comedy released after Hangover (The House, sister, etc...) or the usual Kevin James/Adam Sandler entry.

A lot of a movie originality is the characters, so if those were already created in the pass (or are common archetype) it is hard to really give an high originality score.

From a box office point of view, it is much more franchise/ip vs non franchise/ip that matter, original or adapted is irrelevant, if you are an adaptation of an unknown book or a remake of an unknown foreign movie for example that change nothing.

I think taking their franchise/ip vs non-franchise, causing box office analyst be too easy to jump to conclusion, like what indiewire did, they declared the dead of franchise ignoring the fact that WW/Rogue one was smashing, Original film is all matter now without considering that dozens of original films still struggle in small theater every week......

what i suggest was is too look at each film "originality/freshness" level, the film that has low originality/freshness, are now being abandoned......while those part of IP/franchise, but carry some degree of freshness, still draw massive crowd 

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not sure a different date would have changed that much tho.

The movie somehow didn't work and/or resonate with US audiences at all.

Life is unfair.

Sometimes cult classic status is a much better reward though. So he's got that going for him. He's not at risk to lose money either thanks to the pre-sales on distribution rights. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sometimes cult classic status is a much better reward though. So he's got that going for him. He's not at risk to lose money either thanks to the pre-sales on distribution rights. 

Sure but his goal was definitely turning Valérian into a franchise.

First World Problems I know.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Sure but his goal was definitely turning Valérian into a franchise.

First World Problems I know.

I'm curious to see what he does with those sequel plans. Might have to find a different outlet than traditional movie theaters for it. 

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

Considering how big 2016 was for animation, I wasn't surprised for us to have a soft year in animation for 2017, similar to 2010 and 2011, me and @narniadis talked about this earlier in the year.

2018 is better with The Incredibles 2, Wreck it Ralph 2, Hotel Transylvania 3,Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas and the animated Spider-Man film.

2019 however could easily reach the heights of 2016 with The Lego Movie 2, How To Train Your Dragon 3, Toy Story 4, The Secret Life of Pets 2, Angry Birds 2 and of course Frozen 2. 

• Like 2