Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Detroit kinda fell into a no man's land where it didn't stand out as counterprogramming aimed at older audiences (like The Help and The Butler did) but also didn't have a great marketing campaign that made it look like a must-see movie either (like Straight Outta Compton did). Not to mention it's a really difficult film to watch according to most that have seen it. Finding an audience was always gonna be a challenge.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Detroit kinda fell into a no man's land where it didn't stand out as counterprogramming aimed at older audiences (like The Help and The Butler did) but also didn't have a great marketing campaign that made it look like a must-see movie either (like Straight Outta Compton did). Not to mention it's a really difficult film to watch according to most that have seen it. Finding an audience was always gonna be a challenge.

I think for Annapurna, it's less about making loads of money but establishing themselves. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think for Annapurna, it's less about making loads of money but establishing themselves. 

I think they should've chosen something that was less of tightrope to walk for their first release tbh. This was always gonna be a tough balancing act even for a much more established studio.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Dunkirk interestingly will have one of its biggest drops on Labor Day weekend since it will lose IMAX 

I'm thinking it loses IMAX (non 70mm) back to Wonder Woman the weekend before Labor Day.

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

Annabelle: Creation over 120M domestic?

Sadly I think it'll be lucky to outgross the first's domestic. Sure the reviews are great but it would really have to break out to reach over 100 million which even TC2 barely did. 

SM and APES could show a strong hold.

Both are looking at a good multiplier.

SM needs 316-322 dom for 2.70-2.75x.

APES needs 149-152 for 2.65-2.70x (good for a three-quel).

Edited by a2knet

Just now, filmlover said:

I think they should've chosen something that was less of tightrope to walk for their first release tbh. This was always gonna be a tough balancing act even for a much more established studio.

True but Megan Ellison and Annapurna have always made challenging films and Detroit is no different. They've could gone for Death Wish which they're distributing on behalf of MGM and make decent money but I think releasing Detroit as their first film as distributor is a way of saying they're not afraid of making and releasing these type of films.

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Annabelle: Creation over 120M domestic?

Really depends on word of mouth. If reviews stay amazing and the GA loves it, we could see something like that.

That said, I'm going to say no for now. The Conjuring films seem like they'll be the high points in the franchise, box office wise, and the Conjuring 2 just cleared $100M. 

The Conjuring 2 also opened in a very crowded marketplace, so I wouldn't read too far into the fact that it barely cleared $100 million. The marketing for the new Annabelle has been effective and we're in a box office dead zone, so I could see it opening near the same high-30s/low-40s range as the other three films.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

If Detroit flops, it won't be getting any Oscars.

To be fair, the academy could care less about the box office these days. I doubt Detroit gets any noms, outside of maybe something random like sound.

Edited by Fancyarcher

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Dunkirk interestingly will have one of its biggest drops on Labor Day weekend since it will lose IMAX 

Not necessarily. Movie skews very old and old people don't care about IMAX. The IMAX percentage of gross is probably gonna decline a lot by the time we get to Labor Day weekend.