CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

2 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

If this hits $100M OW, which I am still sceptical of, maybe we will see a change in the way horror movies are produced and treated in Hollywood.

I said this in the IT topic, Warner found the perfect formula to make a Blockbuster Horror movie, can you imagine if these movies start grossing the same amount of SH movies (IT is definitely surpassing several movies in the Phase 1 of MCU) on a budget that could be even 70% lower? This is a gold mine. 

• Like 3

Seems like they should have gotten moving on part 2 way back when the interest in the first trailer was through the roof. That alone guaranteed big profits, and releasing part 2 only one year later is ideal IMO. 

This is amazing all around! Most Stephen King horror films 20-30 years ago would have been lucky to debut with $13.5 million if not domestic total. Either way I wanna see this film someday, and it's a solid result for a horror film all around and everything else this is a huge ass list.

30 minutes ago, picores said:

Now i cant see how this misses 100m OW....

I don't see any way that it reaches 100 million. This is going to be very front-loaded first of all. Second the hurricane is going to kill a lot of the Southern States movie business and third you have the NFL kicking off on Sunday which means 45 to 50% drops. 100 million is a tall task in my opinion.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I don't see any way that it reaches 100 million. This is going to be very front-loaded first of all. Second the hurricane is going to kill a lot of the Southern States movie business and third you have the NFL kicking off on Sunday which means 45 to 50% drops. 100 million is a tall task in my opinion.

It's not going to be that frontloaded this won't play like regular horror it's the dead pool of horror films it will do at least 90. The southern states won't make that big a difference in terms of gross maybe 4-5 million and while the NFL does start this isn't exactly a kid friendly matinee type picture

I honestly think if it had numbers like this next weekend, when the NFL wasn't kicking off and the storms were all gone, it could maybe hit 100. But you add that on top of being a frontloaded horror movie, nah. I think Logan's OW number is a great and realistic higher end number for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I said this in the IT topic, Warner found the perfect formula to make a Blockbuster Horror movie, can you imagine if these movies start grossing the same amount of SH movies (IT is definitely surpassing several movies in the Phase 1 of MCU) on a budget that could be even 70% lower? This is a gold mine. 

Sure couldn't resist that mcu swipe, huh?Stay pressed loser.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

For those doubting 100M what kind of opening day or "through Saturday" number would be convincing?  One that accounts for a 50% Sunday drop?

The hurricane is a huge xfactor, but people who are evacuating may very well watch the movie before or wherever they head to for a distraction.  I say this in a purely box office analysis kind of way and do not at all mean to make light of the hardship this storm is going to cause.

I already said why I think the NFL is not going to hurt this much.  For most people their game to watch will be done by 4pm.  

thu-previews  movie-name  prod-budget

17.0            gotg2            200

16.3             batb             160

15.4             smh             175

13.5              IT               35

• Like 3