CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I think in this case it was offline buzz too. It hit a huge market who clearly don't usually go to horror films. Amazing. 

Yep.

We've had too many real-life flops that had tons of online buzz to say "never doubt the power of online buzz."

It elicited palpable offline buzz; I have seen people who don't care for horrors tell me that they want to see this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

It's trailer views were better than anything ever. Can you blame me for expecting at least 150m?

So that means that a film starring Taylor Swift and based on her "Look What You Made Me Do" video would open with 300 million. :D 

• Like 2

This is absolutely insane. I felt $70M was the range.  This is very impressive. WB's marketing team is undefeated. It feels like I'm not giving the actual movie enough credit so marketing, directing, King's novel,  nostalgia..  this has everything going for it and I hope it breaks all records on it's way to $100M+

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

So that means that a film starring Taylor Swift and based on her "Look What You Made Me Do" video would open with 300 million. :D 

No

It took 2 weeks for Taylor's new video to reach 200m views. IT did it in 24 hours

17 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

It's trailer views were better than anything ever. Can you blame me for expecting at least 150m?

The Mummy had exceptional trailer views and it bombed with 30M OW. I wouldn't put much stock in trailer views

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I seriously doubt that WB regrets making more of a profit. So no I don't think that WB would have spent substantially more money if they knew it would make as much when they could make the same amount with less money.

Well you aren't WB so I don't think you can answer for them. Especially as the director himself said more scenes he loved would have made it in if not for the budget.

Anyone disappointed with this opening is a troll and knows little about box office trends

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 1

The September OW was 48.5M. It will more than double that.

The horror OW record, adjusted for inflation, was 91M. It will crush that number too.

The movie cost 35M to make. It's gonna turn profit after three fucking days.

It's unbelievable how huge this thing is. I don't think any horror movie in the next eternity has a shot at breaking It's numbers, not for OW at least....... even It: Chapter 2 will probably do a little less since most people remember the adult part as the weakest half of the miniseries. But I'd still go with around 80M+ for that.

25 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Oh, you weren't joking about that? Uhh, yes I can. Fifty Shades Darker broke The Force Awakens' trailer views record and it did less in DOM total than TFA in its opening day. It is an R-rated horror movie in September. Why the bloody hell did you think it would pull 150M out of its ass ("at minimum" like you said) when no movie this year besides BATB did that (not even Guardians 2)? Nobody in their right mind finds that remotely realistic. Just find something better than do than trolling.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A 35 million budget is plenty big for a horror movie. Horror movies don't need 150mil budgets like Superhero movies, the genre is completely different.

True, but the book has all kinds of scenes that would have cost a lot of money if they had filmed them.  35 million is low, very low, for an adaption like this.  It's high for a horror movie but they also had to keep the budget low enough so that they were almost guaranteed to turn a profit.  They knew that regardless of how well this one did, they had to make part two.  And when this was first announced, most people if not all of us, would have been happy with it doing 80-100 million.  It's not like Stephen King films have set the box office on fire.  The two highest grossing King horror films are 1408 with 72 million and Misery with 61 million.  So there was no guarantee that this would do that much better. 

It's easy for us now to look at it and make predictions of 100 OW and 250 total but that's after the trailer views set a record and the marketing department did an outstanding job promoting it.  But before all of this, WB/NL had no idea if this would appeal to anyone on a mass scale. 

I've said this so many times, so forgive me for repeating myself, but IT is my favourite novel and it's not even close.  I knew people liked the book, I just didn't realize how many loved it or how many people loved to 1990 TV effort.  Seeing IT appeal to so many people is very gratifying to me.  For all of you have or will see the movie, but haven't read the book, I urge you to do so.  It's 1100 pages so it's not a quick read but I think you will fall in love with Bill, Ben, Rich, Stan, Eddie, Mike and Bev the way I did.  I think you will despise Henry and Belch and Patrick the way I did as well.  And of course the book is so much more detailed so you get more story on the disappearance of Eddie Corcoran.  Eddie's mom and Bev's dad and Richie's parents Bill's parents are all fleshed out more.  You have the Irish cop, Richie's voices and Ben's damn.  And so much more.  You even have some cross over into other King works.  And not just in quick mention.  There's one character from another book that shows up in pretty good detail.  

I'm rambling here, but I guess the bottom line is I'm thrilled with this opening and with the response to the film.  I may have personally been disappointed in how they adapted the film but as a straight up horror movie, it's an excellent movie.  

It's been more than than thirty years since I first read and then fell in love with IT.  I'm so happy so many are doing the same now.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

You d better be joking...

Can you undersgand that a horror movie is a far tougher sell than a superheroe film? The target audience is far more restrictrd especially when it is R rated. A big share of the online views comes from teenagers who cannot watch this.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

6 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

No

It took 2 weeks for Taylor's new video to reach 200m views. IT did it in 24 hours

Nope

I am not talking about across-all-platforms views.

The official, exclusively YT views for these things are:

IT's first teaser - 33 million views since March

LWYMMD - 280 million views since August.

Clearly a TS movie would gross a billion dollars domestic. :D:rofl:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

No

So IT should to have 150m admissions on OD if it reached this with trailer views in 24 hours. It would be about $1.3bi OD. $49m is too far from that. Really disappointing.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Also, between The Conjuring franchise, ANOES/Friday The 13th, Final Destination, some other sleeper hits (like Lights Out) and now this, WB/New Line are the absolute Gods of horror.

A new Nightmare On Elm Street reboot might be coming sooner than expected, even after the Jackie Earle Haley/Michael Bay debacle from 2010.

• Like 2