CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Just got back from seeing IT. Thought it was really good. The kids all did a great job and Skarsgard was excellent as Pennywise. 

Not so much scary as it was creepy with a few jump scares. I'd describe it as Stranger Things meets A Nightmare on Elm Street. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Top Gun has a chance if it's marketed right, the first one adjusts to 423M.  I really think the only money losers will be Amusement Park/Sherlock Gnomes (unless they keep the budget low) and the Transformers movies and even then that's debatable since we don't know how they'll do OS.  They'll get out of their slump eventually.

Amusement Park and Gnomes are destined for Storks/CU numbers at best but they'll likely have under $80M budgets due to outsourcing. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Top Gun 2 feels like the most random "why now?" long-gestating sequel to come along in some time.

The Why Now? is easy. Paramount have no franchises, so they are raiding their back catalog. Also the reason we are getting WWZ2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Why Now? is easy. Paramount have no franchises, so they are raiding their back catalog. Also the reason we are getting WWZ2

I'm surprised they didn't jumpstart the Hasbro Cinematic Universe idea, it could've made them nice money.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm surprised they didn't jumpstart the Hasbro Cinematic Universe idea, it could've made them nice money.

They don't have all Hasbro properties, and we saw what happened to Battleship. GI Joe and GI Joe 2 also saw a big drop off.

They lost Marvel, Dreamworks and Lucasfilm (Indy) from their heydays and Transformers franchise is in a severe case of diminishing returns, M:I can only be trotted out for so long before it starts experiencing the same. Star Trek is just not a strong OS franchise to justify the investment, Terminator will probably be gone from Paramount soon as well.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Does that include the Micronauts? Because that property combines the superhero craze with an Ant-Man-like scenario, robots, nostalgia, and the films-based-on-toys...em...craze?

Just now, Cochofles said:

Does that include the Micronauts? Because that property combines the superhero craze with an Ant-Man-like scenario, robots, nostalgia, and the films-based-on-toys...em...craze?

Yeah.

• Like 1

Me and @Spaghetti of 1000 Planets just chatted with @Rth TIFF in a bar in downtown Toronto and he said that as of around 6 p.m. Eastern it was tracking at around the same as the Friday number but without the previews so around 37 or 38 million. He also said that he's not sure if the hurricane is going to affect it that much and he also said that the late-night business could increase substantially. But as of right now 38 million is where it was headed before the evening shows.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Me and @Spaghetti of 1000 Planets just chatted with @Rth TIFF in a bar in downtown Toronto and he said that as of around 6 p.m. Eastern it was tracking at around the same as the Friday number but without the previews so around 37 or 38 million. He also said that he's not sure if the hurricane is going to affect it that much and he also said that the late-night business could increase substantially. But as of right now 38 million is where it was headed before the evening shows.

:ohmygod::ohmygod: 

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And maybe we could say, both Paramount and Cruise falling back.

A bit the same when those Bad Boy sequel started to be talked about (Sony and Will Smith when he stopped to ask for one of the biggest amount of money ever like he did for that sequel and independence day sequel in the past), not sure it will happen at all now.

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

I like it that WB was trying to emulate Disney live-action children films with movies like PAN or Jungle Book 2018 or Jack and beanstalk or Tarzan, also fast-tracking a cbm universe after Disney's, but in the end it's their own horror universe/movies and r-rated movies that's giving them something of their own and bigger profit margins. That's the beauty of creativity. Each has something unique to offer.

In what world was Legend of Tarzan aimed at children? 

WB have been making DC Comics movies since the 1970s and never stopped making them. The same goes for the reimagining of those ancient classic stories, which every studio have been doing for decades.

The success of the MCU obviously influenced the creation of the DCEU, but the MCU was also influenced by many DC adaptations. And the MCU was not even created by Disney, they just bought it.

Disney isn't more original and creative than the other studios.

• Like 2