CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Whats up with A:C? (Dont want to go through 10 pages of germans complaining They wont get to see IT before the end of the Month)

Alien: Covenant? It didn't even make the original Alien's unadjusted gross, true underperformer. 

In all seriousness, it did really well on Friday, is looking to have around 4M for the weekend. In another words, 100M is a lock now.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Alien: Covenant? It didn't even make the original Alien's unadjusted gross, true underperformer. 

In all seriousness, it did really well on Friday, is looking to have around 4M for the weekend. In another words, 100M is a lock now.

But a 291% jump? Thats logic a la prometheus.. 

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

But a 291% jump? Thats logic a la prometheus.. 

Mad impressive, amirite? I guess people really like to watch creepy dolls tear shit apart.

Or maybe it's just that It double features were plentiful. Still mad impressive, after all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Majority of drive-ins paired It with Annabelle this weekend 

....oh God, for some reason that may have to do with the phrasing of this post, now I'm imagining Pennywise and Annabelle on a candlelight date in a fancy restaurant, followed by some fucked up Ring-style killer sex tape in a trashy hotel.

• Astonished 6

2 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

Ha! She's riding that success from the Sharknado movies right back up to the D-List, which is a huge step up from where her career was before Sharknado.

She was good in the few episodes of Scrubs she appeared in.

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

....oh God, for some reason that may have to do with the phrasing of this post, now I'm imagining Pennywise and Annabelle on a candlelight date in a fancy restaurant, followed by some fucked up Ring-style killer sex tape in a trashy hotel.

Exactly My thoughts

Deadline earlier projected 101 with 49.6 Friday. After the official 51 came out they updated to 103-108.

with an estimated $51M  (easily smashing Deadpool‘s $47.3M) and the second best R-title three-day between  $103M-$108M, behind Deadpool‘s $132.4M. In addition, for any post-summer title opening before November, It‘s weekend is higher than anything released prior in September or October.

With no signs this AM of It slowing down (East Coast sales are brisk) and with good holds expected for tonight, some longtime box office observers are thinking this film could even float up to $120M by the time the screaming stops late Sunday.

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

When my mother says she wants to see this, I know it's crossing over big time. I don't think she's seen a scary film since The Exorcist, and I'm only slightly exaggerating. 

Same here.

The hype is real, y'all.

My mother and father both asked me about It : I swear to God that the last time they were curious/hyped about any scary film was when Hailey Joel Osment was seeing dead people. :mouthdropped:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

and a good release date. instead of butting head with big movies.

To be fair, the 4th movie was still big. Also, the 5th one didn't really have to compete with huge films. It just didn't open big. People simply didn't care.

Warner Bros has had a great year. Only one flop which everyone expected to flop and a bunch of giant successes ((Wonder Woman, It)) with some mid-tier successes ((Kong: Skull Island, Dunkirk, LEGO Batman, Annabelle: Creation)) and they still have Justice League and Blade Runner 2049 yet to come out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

I like it that WB was trying to emulate Disney live-action children films with movies like PAN or Jungle Book 2018 or Jack and beanstalk or Tarzan, also fast-tracking a cbm universe after Disney's, but in the end it's their own horror universe/movies and r-rated movies that's giving them something of their own and bigger profit margins. That's the beauty of creativity. Each has something unique to offer.

I'd argue WB wasn't using the characters they owned and now they're mining the DC catalogue, have an emerging animation arm with WAG with two successful films plus one moderate hit, a strong slate from New Line and also taking risks with directors like Nolan and Eastwood. They still have flops but TBH what studio hasn't? 

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Warner Bros has had a great year. Only one flop which everyone expected to flop and a bunch of giant successes ((Wonder Woman, It)) with some mid-tier successes ((Kong: Skull Island, Dunkirk, LEGO Batman, Annabelle: Creation)) and they still have Justice League and Blade Runner 2049 yet to come out.

if one looks at the budget than Annabelle:C should be their biggest success of the year.

It's on 175 OS and 93.5 dom for 268.5 ww.

185 OS + 100 Dom = 285 ww will be 19x the prod budget.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Don't forget "Everything, Everything".

It was a teen romantic drama that had little to no marketing and was basically an indie movie but it made 53 mil off a 10 mil budget, which isn't too shabby.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is it fair to say IT furthers the argument the US box office is more & more becoming a feast or famine affair ?

Dark Tower vs It and IT vs everything else this weekend certainly does not goes against toward the argument that the US box office is creating stronger and stronger virtuous/vicious for movies that are perceived as winner that people feel the desire (when not the need) to be associated with and see and the other around for those that entered looser category at some point.

Would need to compare with a relevant sample size from 2005, 1995, 1985 to talk more about it.

• Like 1