aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

On 7/27/2019 at 1:05 AM, CoolioD1 said:

i enjoyed that but even after like a decade i will never not find the downfall meme funny. it outclasses so many modern memes. i wouldn't be mad at a comeback.

What was the first downfall meme ?

Do we know ?

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

What was the first downfall meme ?

Do we know ?

According to Know Your Meme the first one was a Portuguese youtuber, then an English speaking one was inspired, about the lack of features in the new Flight Simulator, in 2006, and that's where the meme began.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hitlers-downfall-parodies

I also agree that the downfall parody is an excellent and timeless meme.

Edited by Avatree
  • Thanks 1

The only bright spot for the film operation would seem to be Fox Searchlight, the long-operating darling of the indie film world, which will test Disney’s patience with the wacky Hitler drama “Jojo Rabbit,” from “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi, this fall. The movie is expected to be a major awards contender.

The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans. His unease may have been over the film’s cutting-edge satire, but it was also an expression of the culture clash taking place as the two studios embark on their new union.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/fox-disney-earnings-dark-phoenix-stuber-racing-in-the-rain-1203300260/

lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

love a nice benevolent all-consuming corporation for which "a takedown of Nazism" is too edgy a stance to take

I can see it already...

WHILE WALT DISNEY PICTURES HAD ALREADY PAUSED THE MARKETING CAMPAIGN FOR JOJO RABBIT, AFTER THOUGHTFUL CONSIDERATION, THE STUDIO HAS DECIDED TO CANCEL OUR PLANS TO RELEASE THE FILM. WE STAND BY OUR FILMMAKERS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DISTRIBUTE FILMS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH BOLD AND VISIONARY CREATORS, LIKE THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS ANTI-HATE SATIRE, BUT WE UNDERSTAND THAT NOW IS NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO RELEASE THIS FILM.

•  
Edited by TMP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TMP said:

So let me get this straight:

- Fox is downsized with half of the product going to Disney+/Hulu with a franchise focus in mind

- Animation studios which some argued Universal would kill like Locksmith is only getting one film and Blue Sky potentially only doing sequels 

- Lumberjanes adaptation cancellation hurts

- Deadpool potentially in limbo

and

- a satire from the studio favorite like Waititi already has doubts, which Searchlight being the only clear survivor may be unsure.

dISneY bUYiNg FoX IS oNLy GoOd (actually though Comcast would’ve been slightly worse but it’s still bad)

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans.

It is bizarre to me that people think so poorly of their own audience they instinctively assume the nazi-friendly segment of it is THAT necessary to their financial success....

If you can't safely satirize Hitler because you're afraid you'll lose audience, maybe you don't deserve to have an audience at all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans.

Oh no Disney won't release the movie, except they are with a reportedly big Awards push.   

Unless it's Horn who gives a fuck  :rolleyes:

You’re right, it’s not like other original films are being culled or a whole slate is Thanos’d in favor for more franchises.

• Astonished 1