aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

That is the opposite of what I meant. See Coolio's post about the script playing it too safe. That's exactly what comes through in the trailer (as it does in all his easy point-scoring "anti-hate", "i didn't research hitler because fuck him", etc talk). 

You know, he should have at least researched The Hitler Youth...

Wonder if he did.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

THAT'S THE POINT! :lol:

I'm a little sad that the trailer went out of its way to say "don't worry folks, this is satire".

Like, duh, OF COURSE IT'S SATIRE.  Watching this for ten seconds makes it obvious that this is satire.  

My secondary observation was, more or less, "well, Monty Python would sometimes flash in big huge letters "SARCASM" or "SATIRE", so whatever".  But then again, they usually did it as part of the joke.  A sort of meta-commentary on humor.

All I was basically saying is I felt it was a little sad that they actually felt they had to tell us this was a satire.  If it's part of the joke, then fine.  But credit watchers with at least a little intelligence is more or less my point, I suppose. 

(it's also not a big deal - just a passing observation :))

in today's climate the studio probably waned to make it clear to avoid controversy. 

20 hours ago, cannastop said:

You know, he should have at least researched The Hitler Youth...

Wonder if he did.

Yeah, a director making a film, even a comedy , daeling with historical charecters who boast about not doing any research rubs me the wrong way.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, a director making a film, even a comedy , daeling with historical charecters who boast about not doing any research rubs me the wrong way.

I'm sure Mel Brooks did a ton of research when he was doing the Springtime for Hitler parts of The Producers.

(Yes, he lived through the time period - point stands)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what to make of this project based on the trailer? It definitely just feels like Hunt for the Wilderpeople but in Nazi Germany. Test screening reports have been super positive but idk who these people are so no clue if they're reliable judges of quality.

20 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

TLJ deserved it imo. love fiennes but Jones rocks the house in that movie. i always love seeing charismatic non "baity" performances win too.

I loved Jones in "The FUgivitve". He pretty much stole the film away from Harrison Ford.

"Our Fugitives name is Dr. Richard Kimble"....

The film has it weaknesses, anybody who has been to Illinois has to laught at a range of huge mountaings between Chicago and Joliet...it only around 40 miles and it totally flat....

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm sure Mel Brooks did a ton of research when it was doing the Springtime for Hitler parts of The Producers.

True, but Brooks did not brag about not doing research.....

He also had a out in that he was not potraying Hilter and Nazis, but actors portraying Hitler and Nazis.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm sure Mel Brooks did a ton of research when it was doing the Springtime for Hitler parts of The Producers.

He also is, you know, Jewish.

I know Mel Brooks strongly disapproved of Life is Beautiful. Wonder what he thinks of this.