Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

So, I'm watching the Red Sox/Yankees London game and the opening was a filmed segment with Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson, and Kumail Nanjiani promoting MIB International. Whoops.

Was watching too and had a good laugh about that

Today marks the 20th anniversary of one of the release of one of the most ground-breaking comedies of my lifetime - a film whose envelope-pushing humor and razor-sharp social observations still hold up all this time later, and was basically singlehandedly responsible for buying its creators decades of work rather than cursing them to flame out as a flash in the pan fad.

The movie I'm referring to, of course, is Wild Wild West. ;) 

Spoiler

Seriously though, I still laugh my ass off every time I re-watch Bigger, Longer, & Uncut.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’ve finished Evangelion.

It’s ok. The action is good. The animation is beautiful. It’s interesting. Funny at times and It’s well paced (most of the time).

The bullshit sets in when we get to all the shit the show is revered for: all that “deep” shit. The show goes off on wild tangents with all this babble about loneliness, abandonment, and low self esteem. The show doesn’t actually analyse any of it, it doesn’t let any of its characters grow through their issues, it just presents multiple, long, David Fincher on cocaine level sequences of nonsense where characters repeat the word that’s the theme of the the sequence (eg “loneliness”) and couples it with some anime screaming.

Add all that to the on-the-nose Christian symbolism and you’ve got a “masterpiece” for the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut lot. I don’t think the show is bad because it’s complicated, I understood it, it’s just pretentious. Being abstract and throwing in a bunch of symbolism that goes nowhere doesn’t automatically make your show smart. Character having some kind of trauma doesn’t make them interesting. 

Its still a an ok show though. I’d never watch it again but I’m glad I watched it.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Uhhhahahahahahaahhahahah

Second instance of "don't quit your day job" I've seen this weekend (the other being Ed Sheeran's awful performance - as himself! - in Yesterday).

On 6/28/2019 at 3:36 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Uhhhahahahahahaahhahahah

At least it's not as embarrassing as Renner's next movie role. I got the trailer for this in front of Toy Story, and I felt embarrassed even looking at the trailer

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(KD was signed-and-traded to the Nets as opposed to a pure FA deal)

Iggy getting traded moments later is kinda funny though. :ph34r: Makes one wonder if the book was part of it or not.