Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I thought GOT was pretty great for about 3 seasons, then the 4th season started to frustrate me a bit, and then it was varying degrees of frustrating with a dash of spectacle until the end. I did enjoy Season 6 generally.

While S8 was pretty bad, I don't think the gap between S7 and 8 were as big as fans probably would say.

Edited by MrPink

52 minutes ago, TMP said:

The novelty of seeing big, summer block-buster level set-pieces on TV was pretty neat at least

They don't give four Best Drama Emmys for "novelty". Nothing has come close to GoT in the last decade, it made other shows look irrelevant and amateurish. And now everyone is trying to find the next GoT (including HBO), but Disney+, AppleTV and Netflix just learned that spending a ton of money on "blockbuster level set-pieces" isn't quite enough to get anywhere near GoT in popularity or acclaim.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

They don't give four Best Drama Emmys for "novelty". Nothing has come close to GoT in the last decade, it made other shows look irrelevant and amateurish. And now everyone is trying to find the next GoT (including HBO), but Disney+, AppleTV and Netflix just learned that spending a ton of money on "blockbuster level set-pieces" isn't quite enough to get anywhere near GoT in popularity or acclaim.

The Emmy's are pretty notorious for repeatedly giving Best Drama to previous winners whether deserved or not. 

I mean, from 2000s on, The West Wing, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones have 12 of the 20 Outstanding Drama awards. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The Emmy's are pretty notorious for repeatedly giving Best Drama to previous winners whether deserved or not. 

I mean, from 2000s on, The West Wing, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones have 12 of the 20 Outstanding Drama awards. 

The Outstanding Comedy category tends to be similarly hit-or-miss as well. 5 awards for Modern Family? 

15 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised Raya hasn't moved....guess they're waiting to see about Soul.

FWIW they also didn't give a bunch of 20th Century movies that were delayed (New Mutants, Antlers, The Woman in the Window, David Copperfield) new dates either. Guess they just wanted to get a bunch of their bigger titles that they were already promoting (minus the still-not-yet-delayed Soul) and the MCU movies out of the way first. I'm guessing The Woman in the Window will take the November 13 date from the Ben Affleck/Ana de Armas movie and that moves to summer 2021 as counterprogramming.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Mulan is getting released on July 24 now? I guess it’s not just WB and Paramount who believe that this will all blow over in the Summer. 

Worst comes to worst they'll just delay them again. They'll wait until June before making that decision though.

• Like 1

And the discussion about BSG brings up the other problem with serialized storytelling.

You can have a competent, well thought out finale... But it still might not be the finale (some) fans wanted.

Like, you have to make Decisions about Fates of story lines and characters, right?  Well sometimes the show-runners and the audience ain't on the same page at all.  Especially if the show lends itself to either high concepts or mythic storytelling.

As for the discussion about GOT 'ruining' prior seasons?  Well if folks really truly deep down believe it (and I suspect they do given I heard the exact same thing in regards to LOST), what does that really say about serialized storytelling?  What does it say that years of enjoyment and debate are either retroactively ruined OR one can't go back and enjoy the ride once more thanks to a bad ending?

Nothing healthy about the overall medium, I suspect.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As for the discussion about GOT 'ruining' prior seasons?  Well if folks really truly deep down believe it

The most melodramatic Internet divas are obviously anything but representative for the most popular drama of the decade: the last season of GoT dominated all other TV shows not only in the ratings (demo 18-49) by a ridiculous margin, but also in DVD sales (6 months after the finale).

6 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

No show since 2000 gets even close to the success or consistency of GoT. Dexter is more similar to a Breaking Bad or Mad Men, shows that ran too long and had to come up with nonsensical new twists every season for their ever more absurd antihero protagonist.

t9bScLe.gif

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Dexter

Reveal hidden contents

made more sense and was more satisfying than Walter White

Reveal hidden contents

3ZPFFuh.gif

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Imagine comparing a Sopranos wannabe to Goodfellas.

GoT ended as the most successful and acclaimed show of the decade, gained viewers every year and the last season won 12 Emmys including Best Drama; that is an incredible level of consistency for a serialized drama after 8 seasons - we will probably never see its like again.

6zdseqS.gif

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

b6fyd3w.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing The Woman in the Window will take the November 13 date from the Ben Affleck/Ana de Armas movie and that moves to summer 2021 as counterprogramming.

Women in the Widow looks like a massive dud, the Affleck/De Armas film at least has potential

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Women in the Widow looks like a massive dud, the Affleck/De Armas film at least has potential

Maybe but Adrian Lyne's last movie (Unfaithful from almost 20 years ago) was also a summer release and ended up doing pretty well as a counterprogramming attempt against a bunch of summer spectacles (finishing with a total was almost 4x its opening and adjusts to over $80M today) so it wouldn't be much of a surprise if they moved it there, especially since most of November/December movies are gonna end up moving to 2021 in all likelihood anyway.

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

On a much more somber note:

:( :( :( 

Tonight's listening has been his live at Carnegie Hall album, always liked it and it does not get old

Also have been led to this 2011 interview, which is fantastic - the man had a rare mix of wit, wisdom and perspective:

https://music.avclub.com/bill-withers-1798225695

• Like 3

Know it's reasonable to question "what is normal these days" but gotta admit it's pretty surreal to open up Disney+ and see the new Pixar joint on there less than a month after seeing it the weekend it opened, even if four weeks ago might as well be four years with everything that's happened since. Disney should be offering a lifetime free pass for the parks to all the families who managed to see Onward in theaters just for being the lucky ones, since it's almost certain to hold the title of lowest-grossing Pixar movie until the end of time.

Edited by filmlover