Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

thinking about how if Black Panther 2 is gonna address that T'Challa opening the borders at the end of the first one let COVID-19 into wakanda. 

Has the MCU ever really referenced 9/11? I know it's assumed that it happened in that universe because Stark visits Afghanistan for a demonstration in the first Iron Man but I don't think they've ever incorporated any real world events that have happened since 2008 off the top of my head.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Has the MCU ever really referenced 9/11? I know it's assumed that it happened in that universe because Stark visits Afghanistan for a demonstration in the first Iron Man but I don't think they've ever incorporated any real world events that have happened since 2008 off the top of my head.

I would be very interested to see how Tony Stark reacted to Occupy Wall Street

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Thanos wiped out half of all life in the universe in 2018, and those people didn’t get brought back until 2023, so it would be pretty easy to assume that the Covid-19 pandemic never happened in the MCU.

It definitely seems like the MCU doesn't have much of a basis in our world anymore, even though some real news figures have popped up in cameos as themselves every now and then. POTUS in Iron Man 3 was a white guy and that movie was made a few months before Obama was re-elected. 

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It definitely seems like the MCU doesn't have much of a basis in our world anymore, even though some real news figures have popped up in cameos as themselves every now and then. POTUS in Iron Man 3 was a white guy and that movie was made a few months before Obama was re-elected. 

Superhero universes in general like to give off the impression of that they take place in a heightened version of “the real world.” They’re not like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, where the franchises take place entirely in their own fantasy worlds that are completely different to what we have in real life. In superhero universes, the United States of America exists, as do events like WWII. That’s not even getting into the fact that stuff like the MCU and especially the Arrowverse are chock full of pop culture references. 

Edited by WittyUsername

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Superhero universes in general like to give off the impression of that they take place in a heightened version of “the real world.” They’re not like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, where the franchises take place entirely in their own fantasy worlds that are completely different to what we have in real life. In superhero universes, the United States of America exists, as do events like WWII. That’s not even getting into the fact that stuff like the MCU and especially the Arrowverse are chock full of pop culture references. 

They’re the real world without actual angst or complications. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

God Harbour confirmed that Black Widow takes place between Civil War and Infinity War so hopefully they include a scene of Natasha in 2017 walking by a poster for Ghost in the Shell and reacting in disgust. Use Phase 4 to go full meta.

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

that ending. 😂 😂 😂 

This guy's got some real comedic talent by the way, both on the acting and writing end:

I suspect he's gonna become very famous in due time. 👍

This has to be the best episode of any podcast I have heard in my recent podcast binges while working from home. It's just extremely satisfying when it wraps up

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx/158-the-case-of-the-missing-hit

A man in California is haunted by the memory of a pop song from his youth. He can remember the lyrics and the melody. But the song itself has vanished, completely scrubbed from the internet. PJ takes on the Super Tech Support case.

I just finished re-watching The Cabin in the Woods for the first time in a few years, and almost 8 years to the day after seeing it theatrically. Seeing it over opening weekend was wild. I went kinda spur of the moment on Saturday night with a friend, and both of us knew barely anything going in: I had seen a trailer and knew it had gotten good reviews after several release delays, and she was sold solely on the fact that Joss Whedon was the co-writer. Even though the crowd wasn't terribly big, the reactions to the film's bigger surprises were priceless. (Granted, this was in Portland - which isn't really reflective of the national taste - so I wasn't getting my hopes up for an extraordinarily leggy run, cool as it would have been.) It's definitely up there among the re-watching reminisces that has made me miss going to the movies for the last five-ish weeks.

Edited by Webslinger

19 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

TVI confirmed it. It's a done deal. The contestants will be separately locked in a hotel room for 15 days. There will be challenges, apparently, and the contestants will all know each other before they set an eye on each other in person. There will be diaries... all done through Skype calls. Sunday night shows? All through Skype calls. That's BB2020 (for two weeks only).

It's The fucking Circle. Might've just cancelled this altogether.

Why don't they start the show after the contestants spent the 15 days in isolation?

@Jake Gittes Watched Deja Vu, might be my favourite Tony Scott film. Easily could have been another time travel movie that's way too focused on the plot and the science but this movie is more focused on the larger ideas it presents and the emotions of the characters (the central romance is built almost entirely through Washington's facial expression).

It's absolutely hilarious that the writers tried to make Scott think that he did a mediocre job with the movie (they clearly wanted this to be the kind of film Nolan would try to make) because if anything he made it different to all the other time travel films. Scott's most romantic movie and also a better Interstellar than Interstellar (which, my family actually watched yesterday). Also that chase scene with the goggles is just insanse.

post-True Romance Tony Scott is so underrated. Deja Vu, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, and Unstoppable deserve more love than they get.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1