Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Is it controversial to say that Edge of Seventeen was much better than Lady Bird? I don't understand why it's got academy love like it has. 

They're about even I think. Lady Bird's mother-daughter relationship elevates it for me, by far the most interesting thing in both movies (and in EoS the same element is comparatively banal). As for the Academy love, probably helped that LB is less overtly comedic and more melancholy, and has more to chew on thematically (search for self-identity, trying and failing to escape your roots, etc.) Besides, y'know, campaigning. 

• Like 2

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Wouldn't say Top 3 but it's really up there.

Rear Window

North by Northwest

Strangers on a Train

I think his greatest single *piece* of filmmaking is the first hour of Psycho, but that movie loses enough luster for me in the final third that overall I prefer Rear Window, Vertigo, and Shadow over it. Maybe North by Northwest too. 

Strangers on a Train is a big blind spot, still need to see it.

Hitchcock has done a LOT of garbage; it’s pretty painful to sit through his early. But he has a lot hidden, underappreciated gems in his filmography, too. Frenzy, I Confess, Lifeboat, Stage Fright, Rope, Wrong Man plus a couple of others. All of them pretty great.

My top 3 would probably be Rear Window, Lady Vanishes and Frenzy.

Edited by Goffe

53 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Is it controversial to say that Edge of Seventeen was much better than Lady Bird? I don't understand why it's got academy love like it has. 

Not at all. Hailee Steinfeld would've gotten an Oscar nomination last year if STX didn't dump the movie.

• Haha 1

Hitchcock is great overall. Obviously the early years are rough due to him finding his craft but when he hits, boy does he hit.

I am partial to The Birds though, so what do I know about Hitchcock and taste :ph34r:

Strangers on a Train

Dial M for Murder

The Birds

Rear Window

North by Northwest / Vertigo

not in order but my top 5/6

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Did anyone watch the heavy weight boxing last night? 

Watching it now.   On round 4

Edot - it just ended, turned out to be a fun fight to watch. Great back and forth starting in round 6

Edited by 75Live

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Not at all. Hailee Steinfeld would've gotten an Oscar nomination last year if STX didn't dump the movie.

Amy Adams didn’t get nominated and you think Hailee would have gotten in with a push? :hahaha:

She would have had a better chance if she tried latching on one of her shitty singles to the movie instead

Edited by MrPink
  • Haha 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Amy Adams didn’t get nominated and you think Hailee would have gotten in with a push? :hahaha:

She woukd have had had a better chance if she tried latching on one of her shitty singles to the movie instead

There's a decent chance right now her second nomination is going to be for her Fifty Shades song :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

She woukd have had had a better chance if she tried latching on one of her shitty singles to the movie instead

To be fair Steinfeld gives a much better performance in Edge of 17 than Adams does in Arrival

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1