Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Green Book's overseas performance (it'll be crossing $300M worldwide soon) has to be much more baffling than its Oscar glory and that's saying something.

Not really, to the overseas audience this a feel-good movie about racism with a simple storyline and likeable characters.

Its only in the USA i notice rhetoric like 'this is the stuff only white people like'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Makes sense in retrospect. The ways in which it coddles its audience know no borders.

I guess but it's already more than tripled the overseas gross of Hidden Figures (and surpassed that movie's total worldwide by a lot despite its U.S. total being half) just two years prior. Those China numbers are truly unexplainable lol.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess but it's already more than tripled the overseas gross of Hidden Figures (and surpassed that movie's total worldwide by a lot despite its U.S. total being half) just two years prior. Those China numbers are truly unexplainable lol.

The WOM is insane. I have people raving 24 7 about it on me. And it's not surprising; if you somehow can see beyond the racial insensitiveness it's an absolute crowd pleaser the type of movie that everyone would enjoy. And that insensitiveness is not easy to pick for anyone that isn't invested in the whole issue.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Alibaba Pictures, a Chinese investment company, is one of the producers for Green Book.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's fair to say that without the Best Picture win it wouldn't be making as much. It's the perfect storm of maximized awareness + already existing wom. Plus the crowd-pleasing comedy, plus the audience identification figure not being the actual oppressed person (as in HF) but a familiar white guy whose paternalistic attitude is easier for the audience to share.

Apple are currently trying to get people excited about magazines...

in 2019. 

Edit: Apple News+ also includes something called ‘The Skim’, apparently that’s a big deal.

Edited by AJG

In order to see this on TV you can only use Apple TV, Roku, and Fire TV (and new Samsung TV’s), no gaming consoles, no older smart TV’s, no Chromecast.

There’s no word on a back catalogue or licensing with another studio.

The shows look fine, there’s just no big hook. This is pretty poor.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

In order to see this on TV you can only use Apple TV, Roku, and Fire TV (and new Samsung TV’s), no gaming consoles, no older smart TV’s, no Chromecast.

There’s no word on a back catalogue or licensing with another studio.

The shows look fine, there’s just no big hook. This is pretty poor.

What tycoon's streaming venture is more likely to survive: Disney+ or AppleTV+?

Also Steve Carrel doing double duty on streaming between The Morning Show and Netflix's Space Force

41 minutes ago, TMP said:

What tycoon's streaming venture is more likely to survive: Disney+ or AppleTV+?

Disney+ has synergy with ESPN+ (only way to see UFC now for example and already have millions of very high paying OOT subscribers) and Hulu to help the start

AppleTV has synergy with hardware and a rabid giant fanbase that eat anything they will propose them to do.

Disney has much more chance because it must work imo, there is almost not falling back to not having it, while Apple can quite that game and concentrate or something else.

Disney have been delivering content for decade, have a library, it could get over 200m subscribers before Netflix

Edited by Barnack

Disney announcing they'll have their whole back catalog of movies on Disney+ eventually (keyword being "eventually") is a selling point all to itself. Just telling people that they'll be able to stream all the Pixar movies, all the Marvel movies, and all the Disney Channel movies is going to make people lose their shit.

Edited by CoolEric258

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Disney announcing they'll have their whole back catalog of movies on Disney+ eventually (keyword being "eventually") is a selling point all to itself. Just telling people that they'll be able to stream all the Pixar movies, all the Marvel movies, and all the Disney Channel movies is going to make people lose their shit.

I bet they release them slowly over time, maybe even cycle them as way to introduce “new” content

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Disney have an history of Vault, making it hard to even buy the dvd of some movies from time to time.

I would be a massive turnaround to shift all that value into the Disney+, maybe it will happen one day when D+ is $25 a month or something like that, but it would not surprise me if they stay with a vault affair for ever. With a rotating sub-selection available, to not make legacy title lost in the noise but an event when they get available and people talk about them.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Disney have an history of Vault, making it hard to even buy the dvd of some movies from time to time.

I would be a massive turnaround to shift all that value into the Disney+, maybe it will happen one day when D+ is $25 a month or something like that, but it would not surprise me if they stay with a vault affair for ever. With a rotating sub-selection available, to not make legacy title lost in the noise but an event when they get available and people talk about them.

Iger mentioned in a conference call that he plans to do away with the Vault program once Disney+ comes out.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/18254942/disney-vault-streaming-service-plus-animated-live-action

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

THIS.

If I had to pick between Disney and Apple, then I’m getting the one that actually has more then 5 pieces of content on it.

• Like 1