Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Felicity Huffman is such a great actress, I hope she can come back from this scandal. She did something stupid, but understandable. Some parents would do anything for their children. Most people would do the same thing she did if they could. I don't think I would commit any crime for my kids, but I'm not a parent (yet).

I hope she doesn't retire after this public humiliation. We have forgiven far too many white men who did worse. Johnny Depp and Josh Brolin beat their wives and still got major Hollywood franchises. No one can say you can't have a career after this.

Remember how Green Book was all but dead and buried at the box office and in the awards scene back in late November?

Honestly, this past awards season was one of the weirdest in a while. I won't get into specifics here since I'm not particularly interested in stirring the pot, but this year's winners feel like they came from an entirely different group than the ones from the last several years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Remember how Green Book was all but dead and buried at the box office and in the awards scene back in late November?

Honestly, this past awards season was one of the weirdest in a while. I won't get into specifics here since I'm not particularly interested in stirring the pot, but this year's winners feel like they came from an entirely different group than the ones from the last several years.

They need to fix the Best Actor category the most. DDL, Leo (that year's line-up was especially pathetic in retrospect. Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl?!), and Casey Affleck aside, it's been a really weak roster of winners this decade.

Edited by filmlover

My parents haven’t seen Green Book but I’m sure they would like it 

They did finally see Bohemian Rhapsody.  My dad loved it. My mom not so much 

Edited by DAR

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Green Book's overseas performance (it'll be crossing $300M worldwide soon) has to be much more baffling than its Oscar glory and that's saying something.

Makes sense in retrospect. The ways in which it coddles its audience know no borders.

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Makes sense in retrospect. The ways in which it coddles its audience know no borders.

Green Book is such a dangerous movie.

Sadly peasants don't have neither the tools or education to recognize it as such.

Shame.

Edited by The Futurist

any movie that ends at Christmas makes me want to weep

should movies have these simplistic attitudes towards race relations that Green Book had?

and make it a day in the life of a 2019 black/white taxi ride in the deep South dealing with old WW2 people and their negro mouth?

race wars will probably bring the hardass tension forward when identifying strangers on the other side of streets

I dunno what the women usually think... taboo myths?  guns?  cars?

Edited by Showgirls Go Home

Just watched the second half of The Running Man. It’s set in 2019. 

Well done America you didn’t descend into a dystopian future with the most popular show on television a blood sport to the death. 

Although, the year isn’t out. There’s still time. 

• Astonished 1