Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

54 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Watched Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Great little heist film, that doesn't get nearly enough love. It's super stylish, and manages to successfully tackle a wide variety of tones.  Eastwood and Bridges are terrific, and have great chemistry together, as two loners, who form an impeccable relationship. 

Loooooove that movie. That variety of tones you mention makes it highly rewarding to come back to. Cimino's best imo, I like and admire Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate but I can't help wondering what could have been if he'd continued to have people like Eastwood around who'd keep him on a leash. Maybe Bridges' best acting too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elcaballero said:

The Meme Team. Somehow, their defense looks totally unprepared right now.

You know, it's like watching an Andy Reid coached football team - amazing in the regular season and then somehow, horrifying in the playoffs...it's like it's not the same team...again...

They almost need to hire a tourney coach if they lose this again...b/c as great as the coach is, you can't play in the ACC and play tourney ball like this...

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

220px-Karl_Marx_001.jpg

That s called capitalism and here s the only cure.

That's not capitalism and the real cure is the Anti-Sherman Trust Act and it's successors. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Loooooove that movie. That variety of tones you mention makes it highly rewarding to come back to. Cimino's best imo, I like and admire Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate but I can't help wondering what could have been if he'd continued to have people like Eastwood around who'd keep him on a leash. Maybe Bridges' best acting too.

It's certainly his most enjoyable, though I'm also a fan of Year of The Dragon. It's really a heist movie that goes everywhere, and yet is still somehow satisfying. Bridges is great as the "young kid", and his academy award nomination for the film was genuinely deserved, and one of the academy's most inspired. 

It's really curious to think that if Cinimo had been put on a leash in terms of budget control, if he could have had a better career, and had made more films. The potential was certainly there. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

saw the list of movies in the comments. 77 movies and only 14 of them made before 1980. movie history my ass.

I haven't bothered with that, just found it to be so soothing with the music and all the shots. I needed something relaxing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i did this last year and it was cool and i know some people here (maybe @Jake Gittes iirc) said they'd want to do it so here's the application thing.

Thanks for remembering. I wish I could afford it but I don't think I can. Hopefully some other time, if I don't go this year I'll still have two more chances.

• Like 1