Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Now we know what was behind the attacks on Netflix. People will do anything for money.

Not news (is being talking about this for what at least a decades):

https://nypost.com/2017/10/10/apple-teams-with-spielberg-for-streaming-tv-series/

Also produced stuff for Amazon... I am pretty sure he is not making any exception for those platform either.

The reaction to is position when he was saying that in the past:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-thinks-netflix-films-should-not-qualify-oscars-1097351

Versus the most recent time, seem to have changed quite a bit for some reason, saying that :

"I don’t believe that films that are given token qualifications, in a couple of theaters for less than a week, should qualify for the Academy Award nomination.", is an attack on Netflix now....

• Like 1

Most of the famous content creators Apple+ is announcing have already "created" a lot of flop tv shows (Shyamalan, Oprah, JJ Abrams, Spielberg). Creating a television series requires a lot of work that these famous people are just not willing to give.

Netflix goes after the people that really give their focus on creating this type of content for them like Ryan Murphy, Jenji Kohan and Shonda Rhymes and that's why they're so succesful. Netflix knows who is the real deal.

I hope for their sake that Apple is also investing in real talent, and that those high profile are just for marketing purposes, though people these days are smarter than that, so I doubt the effectiveness of that.

Edited by Napoleon

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Most of the famous content creators Apple+ is announcing have already "created" a lot of flop tv shows (Shyamalan, Oprah, JJ Abrams, Spielberg). Creating a television series requires a lot of work that these famous people are just not willing to give.

what's JJ getting called out for? 

he'll have all the time in the universe after Ep IX and Cloverfield '4'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Netflix goes after the people that really give their focus on creating this type of content for them like Ryan Murphy, Jenji Kohan and Shonda Rhymes and that's why they're so succesful. Netflix knows who is the real deal. 

I think that JJ and Shonda Rhymes spend about the same amount of time "producing" each of their TV shows.

3 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

what's JJ getting called out for? 

he'll have all the time in the universe after Ep IX and Cloverfield '4'

Selected oeuvre of one J.J. Abrams (as Exec Producer):

Felicity

Alias

LOST

Fringe

Person of Interest

Westworld

WHAT A HACK!!!!

(yes, he has his share of misses.  So does everyone else in entertainment)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

I think that JJ and Shonda Rhymes spend about the same amount of time "producing" each of their TV shows.

Well, I mean, J.J. famously checked out on LOST after the first season when it came to really overseeing it, though he might have still been around on some level.

Just find it faintly bizarre that Napoleon would imply that J.J. Abrams hasn't been connected to some very successful TV shows.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever read. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

people trying to act like spielberg working with apple is some kinda GOTCHA cos of his netflix criticisms are being dumb. like he's not criticizing the very existence of netflix.

This was announced for years and he already had a show playing on Amazon, that just really not following the storyline to be able to invent good strawman.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/10/16454312/apple-steven-spielberg-amazing-stories-original-content-deal

Apple’s big jump into original content will start with Steven Spielberg’s Amazing Stories

Oct 10, 2017, 1:55pm EDT

I even saw people talking of him having meeting with Netflix some gotcha moment, that is strong confirmation bias / framing  imo.

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

people trying to act like spielberg working with apple is some kinda GOTCHA cos of his netflix criticisms are being dumb. like he's not criticizing the very existence of netflix.

It's basically this image-

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.png?auto=compress

• Haha 4

The issue you should be careful about the news you read in pushing agendas.

A lot of content creators own news companies who don't like the power of Netflix and a lot of those content creators want streaming services of their own. 

Its like how Facebook gets all the blame about Russian Hacking when it was just as bad or if not worst on Twitter. However, the media like Twitter but does not like Facebook as its not as friendly to news companies. 

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue you should be careful about the news you read in pushing agendas.

The medias have been a giant promoters of Netflix since the beginning no ?

Everyone writing on the Internet seem to have an account, the difference of coverage Netflix was getting from everyone else (one could have thought Netflix had more subscriber than HBO or Amazon) did feel really big.

By the by, I love @That One Guy's avatar and hope he never changes it.  It's like there's a good twin and bad twin on the forum.  (Dibs on the bad twin.)

Also, responding here, because I literally can't see the End Game thread without my website-block extension blacking the page out.  I take spoilers very seriously.  It also stops me from getting emotional and posting stupid.:hahaha:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maggie Gyllenhaal is the best brother*. Saw The Kindergarten Teacher, which is fine, but her performance is just so mesmerizing. Makes the watch worthwile.

*That’s a fact.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Maggie Gyllenhaal is the best brother*. Saw The Kindergarten Teacher, which is fine, but her performance is just so mesmerizing. Makes the watch worthwile.

*That’s a fact.

Her performance was eerily good. The movie kinda felt like a spiritual successor to Secretary.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Spielberg s views on Netflix are shared with random guys like Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spielberg s views on Netflix are shared with random guys like Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan.

Difference is that those random guys have not signed up with any streaming service(yet?) after sharing their views.