Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Difference is that those random guys have not signed up with any streaming service(yet?) after sharing their views.

His complaints were literally only about the fact that Netflix can submit movies to the Oscars with limited theatrical time. Not that Netflix or streaming services existed at all.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

His complaints were literally only about the fact that Netflix can submit movies to the Oscars with limited theatrical time. Not that Netflix or streaming services existed at all.

Also I might as well add, TV movies are banned from the Oscars yet streaming movies are allowed is definitely a bizarre loophole in all fairness ((As someone who's had quite a few Netflix movies in my top 5s/10s over the years)).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It was COMPLETELY blown up by an entertainment press that has nothing better to do than to yell "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!" in an effort to drive clicks.

Twitter/social media wasn't much better then and it isn't acting much better now.

It was an Outrage du Jour in part driven, IMO, by "let's laugh at the Old Man Yelling at Clouds". 

Just stupid all the way around.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

It was COMPLETELY blown up by an entertainment press that has nothing better to do than to yell "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!" in an effort to drive clicks.

Twitter/social media wasn't much better then and it isn't acting much better now.

It was an Outrage du Jour in part driven, IMO, by "let's laugh at the Old Man Yelling at Clouds". 

Just stupid all the way around.

A lot of people tried to frame it as Spielberg hating non-white people as well which was....bizarre to say the least.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spielberg s views on Netflix are shared with random guys like Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan.

I imagine those guys also thing that a direct to TV movie should not compete on the Oscar, but Tarantino probably goes VHS before using Netflix views, while Spielberg developped TV projects all is life (HBO, streaming, etc...)

8 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Difference is that those random guys have not signed up with any streaming service(yet?) after sharing their views.

After, mean when here, Apple deal become official October 2017, is Amazon show was in Mars 2018:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/steven-spielberg-amazon-javier-bardem-dalton-trumbo-cortes-a8275446.html

He had show on Amazon UK in 2014:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/28/amazon-uk-rights-halle-berry-sci-fi-extant

Why would those guys not signed up with a streaming service after saying they should compete on the Emmy if they do not want to respect a theatrical window ?

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just find it faintly bizarre that Napoleon would imply that J.J. Abrams hasn't been connected to some very successful TV shows.

But, but, but,.... that might take the shine away from another director-producer!

There can not be another one on that level 😉

35 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

But, but, but,.... that might take the shine away from another director-producer!

There can not be another one on that level 😉

In the immortal words of Francis Urquhart*:  You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment.  

*the original, thankyewveddymuch

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, Wonder Woman was a moderate success here in Portugal and it blew up on its SIC premiere, so.... clearly, theater experiences and television audiences don't match up here in PT (not all the time, at least) :lol:. But yeah, if Interstellar did great, that makes its floppage a bit more odd in hindsight, but the reality is that an intellectual sci-fi film wasn't gonna do good at Sunday 5PM when the super simplistic show that rules that time slot is composed of pimbalhada, local sweets and dumb people waving at cameras.

And yeah, ratings-wise, Valor da Vida is weak. I've heard it's actually a good show (I enjoyed what I saw of Ouro Verde, written by the same girl and recent International Emmy winner), but its ratings are a bit of a fiasco. A Herdeira was doing 15% rating on Sundays last year XD

I can't wait for their next reality shows to flop. They have this Pantene Hair competition or whatever it's called, they have Goucha handling both a new MasterChef and some secret old reality that seems like might be Big Brother...... and they're all gonna bomb. I also wonder what are they gonna put at 2PM when that HORRENDOUS Mexican soap opera they bought comes to an end :rofl:  They are a Goddamn mess.

A Herdeira was a massive success most of his run. That soap was actual competition. Valor da Vida crashes as soon as it faces anything other than the flop SIC is airing at the same time.

They are airing a Mexican soap at 2 PM? But why? Weren't the repeats of older Portuguese soaps bringing in the ratings? 

Edited by CJohn

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A Herdeira was a massive success most of his run. That soap was actual competition. Valor da Vida crashes as soon as it faces anything other than the flop SIC is airing at the same time.

They are airing a Mexican soap at 2 PM? But why? Weren't the repeats of older Portuguese soaps bringing in the ratings? 

A Herdeira was the last popular soap around my circles. Some people talk about A Teia, but nowadays it's mostly just The Farmer Wants A Wife that they care about when it comes to Portuguese shows. I think soaps are generally dying tbh, but we'll see. That writer is coming back in May with A Prisioneira, starring my eternal crush Joana Ribeiro, so we'll see if that thing revives TVI's primetime.

Yeah, it's called Maria Madalena and it's basically a Mexican/Chillean/whatever soap horribly dubbed in Brazilian that TVI bought at the last minute to boost the 2PM numbers :rofl:  Remédio Santo was there and it was bombing baaaaad against SIC's Mar Salgado, but hilariously, Maria Madalena hardly does much better. Tbh, I get the idea (bring in something that had never been aired before + Portugal is a religious country and all) and I feel like the lack of promotion killed its potential a bit, but still, it would've been a lot easier and 100% cheaper to just bring back an old classic from the vault instead.

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

Netflix wanted to release their films in theaters at the same time but theater chains were against the idea.

2 hours ago, sex performer Equal richer said:

has anyone here spent the latter years of their childhood pondering in lost thought why The Hobbit did not break movie record history the same way LOTR did?

1st: that would be a bit difficult....

childhood = pre-teen, right?

During my childhood Tolkien was not a late Tolkien

2nd: And, probably more generell obvious:

wasn't the differences in depth,.... obvious even to a child?

3rd reason: its a less re-watch enjoyable movie, as too many of the group die. Bad for legs, bad for finals

I think its the same with e.g. CA Civil War, too shattered relationships at the end, does not end on a high note for some, a lot of ppl wont watch it again, even if giving the movie solid or high ratings.

Some stories are great to watch once only (special twists, something else not matching the taste of a lot of people,...)

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

1st: that would be a bit difficult....

childhood = pre-teen, right?

During my childhood Tolkien was not a late Tolkien

2nd: And, probably more generell obvious:

wasn't the differences in depth,.... obvious even to a child?

3rd reason: its a less re-watch enjoyable movie, as too many of the group die. Bad for legs, bad for finals

I think its the same with e.g. CA Civil War, too shattered relationships at the end, does not end on a high note for some, a lot of ppl wont watch it again, even if giving the movie solid or high ratings.

Some stories are great to watch once only (special twists, something else not matching the taste of a lot of people,...)

1 - pre-teen when LOTR came out.  late teen during Hobbit movies

2 - quality between franchises might not matter w/ hype when you are that young.  new DC comic movies.  When I was growing up, cheesy sequels to 80s movies I thought would break box office records in the newspaper

3 - assuming similar effect on next generation, assuming limited BO knowledge and a sharp eye on The Hobbit's numbers.  The kind of meltdown 30 year old get when Fantastic Beasts slowly starts to erode, but 10x worse because The Hobbit trilogy did not freeze time and the impact that had on youth