Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So it's an election year. Where's our Dinesh D'Souza documentary? Need to get an early jump on those 2021 Razzie awards.

Speaking of which I just realized they still haven't announced the Razzie nominations this year? Just checked and they'll be announced the day before the Oscars this year. Not that there's much suspense to build when Cats has been locked to win everything since July.

For all the talk in 2015 that he was gonna be the next big certified movie star right as he was blowing up thanks to franchises at the same time Parks & Rec was ending it's only taken him 5 years to return to the TV even as his film career has remained active (thanks almost entirely to said franchises). Just goes to show that the barrier between TV and film really is long gone.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

There is no god. :kitschjob:

@Plain Old Tele

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world that he doesn't exist David Price isn't a good pitcher.

(that's what really makes it worse; absorbing a so-called bad contract that's attached to a good player)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I wasn't gone long but man, I missed this place. Good to be back.

I noticed @Porthos is back too. How've you been man?

Oh, let's see.  Niners lost a heartbreaker in the Super Bowl, Bums just got themselves a WS trophy (more likely than not) and my political party seems hell-bent on proving Will Rogers' adage a truism for the ages.

And SW fandom is SW fandom.

Aside from that?  Swimmingly! 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, let's see.  Niners lost a heartbreaker in the Super Bowl, Bums just got themselves a WS trophy (more likely than not) and my political party seems hell-bent on proving Will Rogers' adage a truism for the ages.

And SW fandom is SW fandom.

Aside from that?  Swimmingly! 👍

This seems like a rare year when it's tough to be a Bay area sports fan. The Sharks have also taken a turn for the worst. They're one of the most well run organizations in hockey but all good things come to an end and the Sharks - on top of two key injuries - are now on the downslope as a team. Then there's the Warriors.....never thought I'd see the day when that team was last. What happened there?? I don't follow basketball so I have zero clue.

23 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What happened there?? I don't follow basketball so I have zero clue.

They lost to injury/free agency just about every one of their great-very good players.  That's a death kneel in basketball.

EDIT:::

Kevin Durant: Free Agent (and was injured in the NBA Finals)

Klay Thompson: Torn ACL in the NBA Finals

Steph Curry: Broken Hand in the first couple of days of the season.

Draymond Green: Injured ankle at the beginning of the season (he's better now).

Then trades and other things and you have a lottery-bound team.

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They lost to injury/free agency just about every one of their great-very good players.  That's a death kneel in basketball.

EDIT:::

Kevin Durant: Free Agent (and was injured in the NBA Finals)

Klay Thompson: Torn ACL in the NBA Finals

Steph Curry: Broken Hand in the first couple of days of the season.

Draymond Green: Injured ankle at the beginning of the season (he's better now).

Then trades and other things and you have a lottery-bound team.

Geez, that'll do it. Thanks @Porthos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world that he doesn't exist David Price isn't a good pitcher.

(that's what really makes it worse; absorbing a so-called bad contract that's attached to a good player)

I’m definitely of the opinion that the Sox made a bad move trading Betts away. I get the motivating factors (cutting costs, disappointing 2019 for the team overall, and the inevitability of Betts turning to the free agent market at season’s end - and that’s not even addressing the looming fallout from the Alex Cora scandal) but there’s enough talent on that Sox team that I was of the opinion that they needed to keep Betts (and Price, by extension) and go for it in 2020. They certainly wouldn’t have been favorites to win it all, but they weren’t champions on paper to start ‘13 or ‘18 either (sign-stealing shenanigans notwithstanding in the latter case).

Bleh. Between the depleted Sox and the perennial misery of the Mariners, I might have to find a bandwagon to jump on this season.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I’m definitely of the opinion that the Sox made a bad move trading Betts away. I get the motivating factors (cutting costs, disappointing 2019 for the team overall, and the inevitability of Betts turning to the free agent market at season’s end - and that’s not even addressing the looming fallout from the Alex Cora scandal) but there’s enough talent on that Sox team that I was of the opinion that they needed to keep Betts (and Price, by extension) and go for it in 2020. They certainly wouldn’t have been favorites to win it all, but they weren’t champions on paper to start ‘13 or ‘18 either (sign-stealing shenanigans notwithstanding in the latter case).

Bleh. Between the depleted Sox and the perennial misery of the Mariners, I might have to find a bandwagon to jump on this season.

Are you a fan of the Mariners due to proximity to Seattle or other reasons? Asking because if you're in a Seattle person then there's always the new Seattle hockey team coming...

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Are you a fan of the Mariners due to proximity to Seattle or other reasons? Asking because if you're in a Seattle person then there's always the new Seattle hockey team coming...

Yup, from Washington. The Mariners have been such a mess in the nearly two decades since their last playoff appearance that I wouldn’t be surprised if the as-of-yet unnamed NHL team makes it to their playoffs before the M’s do again. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Yup, from Washington. The Mariners have been such a mess in the nearly two decades since their last playoff appearance that I wouldn’t be surprised if the as-of-yet unnamed NHL team makes it to their playoffs before the M’s do again. :lol:

Hey, just look at Vegas! First year in the league and a Stanley Cup final appearance. Though I predicted they'd regress to the mean and they have. 

Still a very well run franchise though. Hopefully Seattle shares the same fate.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

There is no god. :kitschjob:

@Plain Old Tele

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Baseball is a bad sport

It’s been a lousy sports week but there’s a sudden ray of sunshine coming out from behind the clouds. 

• Sad 1

Nancy Pelosi ripping up the speech was hilarious and pathetic at the same time. She mad, clearly.

I realize I'm Canadian so US politics doesn't really apply to me, but the Democrats are despicable and even worse than the Republicans. They're just like Trudeau's Liberals up here: fake, ignorant, self-righteous snobs who will never actually do what's in the best interest of their country, only what the court of public opinion tells them to do.

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Nancy Pelosi ripping up the speech was hilarious and pathetic at the same time. She mad, clearly.

I realize I'm Canadian so US politics doesn't really apply to me, but the Democrats are despicable and even worse than the Republicans. They're just like Trudeau's Liberals up here: fake, ignorant, self-righteous snobs who will never actually do what's in the best interest of their country, only what the court of public opinion tells them to do.

Nancy Pelosi is a legend. Nothing against her. 

:stop: