DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

For what it's worth there was a mom and her kid next to me in my JL screening that seemed to be very into it.

Granted at 6 P.M on a Wednesday you see a lot of those pairings (even for 15-rated films since they changed the rule about adults taking their kids).

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I thought TASM Films were a perfect example of a studio being completely reactionary to what was the current trend but the DCEU might be close too.

Trying to make a "Nolanized" Spider-Man was one of the more boneheaded things to happen. Doesn't work because Spidey has a dead uncle, not a dead wife.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Tickets are selling like crazy in Brazil because Brazil has always been behind on trends. They still think Batman and Superman are the most popular superheroes in the world. 

You're just a hater! Latinos have always been big DC fans, unlike Europeans >.>

1 minute ago, cookie said:

For what it's worth there was a mom and her kid next to me in my JL screening that seemed to be very into it.

Granted at 6 P.M on a Wednesday you see a lot of those pairings (even for 15-rated films since they changed the rule about adults taking their kids).

There was a kid in my showing who would call out the heroes certain times they appeared. Always nice to see kids reactions to characters they admire. 

• Like 1

Just now, raegr said:

This TV spot is the exact reason why it won't make 300M.

Steppenwolf3.jpg

aBZPtZ1.jpg

480b04c8d3d79fe5-600x400.png

Bq1oAZl.png

That looks like a billion dollar movie? Does this even look like a film worthy of 800M????

Nope. WHAT THE HELL. 

To WB's credit though, props for keeping Steppenwolf Born to Be CG out of the marketing as much as possible. He could have shaved another 20m off the OW if prominently featured. 

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I just wish we can get past the denial already. The movie is a big old flop, there's no need was to claim that its beloved and will have Wonder Woman style legs. Can we please not do that this time?

WW did have WW style legs...I mean, that happened...I said it would...and it did.

Spidey had better than expected legs after an epic 2nd weekend drop.  I said Spidey would have great late legs...and it did.

Both times, it was seeing family potential for the movies in a market for not much for them...

As for this one, 4x is obviously unlikely, and I'm not gonna make any call on legs myself til I see this tomorrow...but if other folks saw this and see a "family" angle playing big, it could play bigger than some here expect (since it seems most are thinking 2.4x or less).  No need to say it's impossible - nothing's impossible in box office land.  I mean, last week, people would have said it was impossible for JL to open under $100M, so impossible happens practically every month!:)

Will it have a tough time having good legs with the crappy critical score?  Sure.  Will it have a harder time b/c Wonder hit?  Yes.  Will it have a harder time b/c Star Wars will cut off most of the late legs (unless it sucks, too, and then I think this forum will break)?  100 times yes.

But in its favor, we all know presales for Coco have sucked so far, even with its stellar RT rating sitting for weeks on RT.com (EmpireCity, care to disagree with hard numbers?  I don't think we have as many rabid Coco fans:), and we all know after Nov 22, nothing competes for those families until Star Wars, so the opportunity is there for some recovery if this is a pleasing, family movie.

Not enough recovery to probably meet anyone original's expectations, but enough to avoid an epic bomb.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

That may or may not have driven me nuts :ph34r: 

It’s understandable. I get over that when you see stuff like at my Homecoming screening where a kid actually dressed up as Spidey. Plus it’s better than when it’s a drunk yelling out (happened during Rogue One) and got to the point he was kicked out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

I wouldn't be surprised with an increase. Only thing that's keeping that back for me is the school field trip inflation

The Fault in Our Stars is not family friendly like Wonder. While Coco may hurt it a little bit, it won't be mega frontloaded like Twilight and TFIOS.

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But in its favor, we all know presales for Coco have sucked so far, even with its stellar RT rating sitting for weeks on RT.com (EmpireCity, care to disagree with hard numbers?  I don't think we have as many rabid Coco fans:), and we all know after Nov 22, nothing competes for those families until Star Wars, so the opportunity is there for some recovery if this is a pleasing, family movie.

@tribefan695.

The sales for Tuesday went up big in my theater.

Edited by YourMother