CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

the entire prod budget and more will be covered by dom theatrical even if it only does 600. 0.55*600 = 330.

Are they not getting almost 65% ?

On their face, Walt Disney’s demands on theaters concerning next month’s domestic exhibition of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are not that unusual. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, cinemas accepting the Rian Johnson sequel when it opens on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. will have to give Disney about 65% of the overall ticket sales and promise to keep the film in its biggest theater(s) for at least four weeks. That compares with 64% of ticket revenue and two weeks of “your best theater” exclusivity” for The Force Awakens two years ago. And unlike previous Star Wars films, this one comes with a penalty (an additional 5%) if theaters get caught breaking any conditions.

600 * .65 = 390, that make a big difference between this and the regular studio release getting around 53% (318).

If the movie make 700m, that will be a 84m net difference....

Even if that movie would end up costing 1 billion in total cost (like a spider man 3 adjusted for inflation) and still be profitable, I would doubt Disney would have spent "only" 200m on it, even if a Harisson Ford less Star Wars save you a lot of money right there, if I am Disney go use 350 to 400m gross, around 275m to 350m net to do a giant, no one will compete with it spectacle, Sony spent 300m net on a Spider Man 3 10 year's ago, would still be really cheap for them on a SW 8 to only match that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A 200m OW would be a 25% admissions decrease from TFA's. That is a pretty huge drop off by OW blockbuster sequel standards. That's why the number isn't exciting. 

I mean, Empire and Attack had similar drops.  This was my initial expectation.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm interested to see what the songs will be like. Will they reference the original or will it mostly be original? I'm assuming the later. As for the composers, I'm skeptical but I like seeing Shaiman doing films so that's cool.

I'm sure the songs will be similar to the Sherman Brothers original but updated for the style of the 1930s. Shaiman and Wittman managed to capture the 60s perfectly for Hairspray so I'm hopeful they can do the same for Poppins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are they not getting almost 65% ?

On their face, Walt Disney’s demands on theaters concerning next month’s domestic exhibition of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are not that unusual. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, cinemas accepting the Rian Johnson sequel when it opens on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. will have to give Disney about 65% of the overall ticket sales and promise to keep the film in its biggest theater(s) for at least four weeks. That compares with 64% of ticket revenue and two weeks of “your best theater” exclusivity” for The Force Awakens two years ago. And unlike previous Star Wars films, this one comes with a penalty (an additional 5%) if theaters get caught breaking any conditions.

600 * .65 = 390, that make a big difference between this and the regular studio release getting around 53% (318).

If the movie make 700m, that will be a 84m net difference....

Even if that movie would end up costing 1 billion in total cost (like a spider man 3 adjusted for inflation) and still be profitable, I would doubt Disney would have spent "only" 200m on it, even if a Harisson Ford less Star Wars save you a lot of money right there, if I am Disney go use 350 to 400m gross, around 275m to 350m net to do a giant, no one will compete with it spectacle, Sony spent 300m net on a Spider Man 3 10 year's ago, would still be really cheap for them on a SW 8 to only match that.

I mean, they are spending an additional 200m whatever for P&A.  But whatever, this movie is still gonna make tons of profit no matter if it lands at 600 or 800.  Let’s not pretend Disney was expecting Force Awakens Numbers.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm sure the songs will be similar to the Sherman Brothers original but updated for the style of the 1930s. Shaiman and Wittman managed to capture the 60s perfectly for Hairspray so I'm hopeful they can do the same for Poppins.

I can only hope so. The songs in Hairspray were pretty good. 

• Like 1

I think with the massive box office of TFA, we got a little spoiled.  For this to open to around 100 million OD is quite awesome.  And if it does hit 200 OW, which I think it will, then it will only be the 4th film to do so and the first "second" part of a trilogy to do so (please don't remind me that it's a SW sequel, I obviously know that).  So for it to do 200 million and probably at least 660 million is really quite bonkers.  I think this film is divisive enough that it will affect repeat viewings.  For example, I spent about $150.00 on TFA.  That will be down to $30.00 this time.  But 650-700 million is awesome (obviously).  It will more likely end up as number three of all time domestically.  So it's a great number for sure, and if it does hit 660, that's about a 30% drop from TLJ, which is quite good.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I think with the massive box office of TFA, we got a little spoiled.  For this to open to around 100 million OD is quite awesome.  And if it does hit 200 OW, which I think it will, then it will only be the 4th film to do so and the first "second" part of a trilogy to do so (please don't remind me that it's a SW sequel, I obviously know that).  So for it to do 200 million and probably at least 660 million is really quite bonkers.  I think this film is divisive enough that it will affect repeat viewings.  For example, I spent about $150.00 on TFA.  That will be down to $30.00 this time.  But 650-700 million is awesome (obviously).  It will more likely end up as number three of all time domestically.  So it's a great number for sure, and if it does hit 660, that's about a 30% drop from TLJ, which is quite good.

SW7 was more of a general feeling, rather than a movie. TLJ is "just" a huge movie. 

Since it was already so booked, none of my locals (or mall) added any extra showings today yet...mall is ending showings at 1am and locals are ending at 11:30pm (this one is at a shopping center that will be open 24 hours for Christmas shopping, so I'm surprised) and 12:01am...almost all their showings are pretty much sell outs except the post 11pm ones, so maybe less than 2 hours out, they figure that's enough for walk up stragglers...