baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

1 minute ago, lancelot123 said:

Am I the only one who remembers the backlash from fanatics with TFA? I heard more bad WOM about that then TLJ. People wouldn't stop complaining how it was just a remake of ANH

The people that dislike a movie are much more louder than the people who like it on the Internet. And yes, TFA gets shit to this day for "rehashing" ANH (which i completely disagree with, but opinions are opinions).

I see it so though: I liked/loved every one of Disneys SW movies. That means i, as a SW fan, have a much more happier life right now than the poor souls who hate it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That using some semantic strict.

Lords of the rings is obviously one story told into 3 movies, they splitted it in 3 part (was planned to be only 2 movie, then 1, etc... before deciding 3).

Tolkin book was splitted by the editors in 3 back then a bit for similar reason than the movies did, paper was costly/more pratical format, bigger commercial potential selling 3 books than only 1.

People are so used to movie not telling the story in one go that you could be right, that most split (even if it is announced from the start, we will split thins into 3 movie instead of one) are not considered split, it need additional re-splitting now a day to be  considered as such.

I agree and especially bolded. Re-splitting is considered splitting while multi-part story-telling (that sticks to announced number of parts) is not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Am I the only one who remembers the backlash from fanatics with TFA? I heard more bad WOM about that then TLJ. People wouldn't stop complaining how it was just a remake of ANH

Well we all know AOTC was the most beloved SW movie which is why ROTS increased. :sparta:

• Like 1

@grey ghost Yeah, increase or decrease from previous movie isn't as simple as "movie was beloved, sequel will increase" (not the case with How to train Your Dragon 2, for example) or "movie wasn't liked, sequel will decrease" (Skyfall and Ragnarok increasing over not-much-loved predecessors). There are many other factors involved, some that become obvious in hindsight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this has been posted but much less schools were off yesterday than on Monday. Wonder if there are Tuesday comps for schools off between this, RO, and TFA.

But if any cynics are wondering why Last Jedi isn’t busting past Tuesday records it’s only because there are still plenty of schools in session. Yesterday, ComScore reported 17% K-12 schools out. Today that figure jumps to 24%, then 39% on Thursday and 61% on Friday.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-tuesday-rakes-in-20-4m-1202230506/

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but much less schools were off yesterday than on Monday.

But if any cynics are wondering why Last Jedi isn’t busting past Tuesday records it’s only because there are still plenty of schools in session. Yesterday, ComScore reported 17% K-12 schools out. Today that figure jumps to 24%, then 39% on Thursday and 61% on Friday.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-tuesday-rakes-in-20-4m-1202230506/

Well that's not the ONLY reason it isn't breaking records. It also made nearly $30m less on the weekend than Force Awakens. What's the excuse for the weekend gross? Deadline idiots.

Anyway that data seems odd. So 30% were off Monday and 17% Tuesday. That is a strange pattern. I can't wait until next week so this discussion will end. The thing needs some absolutely unbelievable numbers to beat Avatar at this point.

Edited by redfirebird2008

5 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but much less schools were off yesterday than on Monday. Wonder if there are Tuesday comps for schools off between this, RO, and TFA.

Doesn't explain why TLJ is down 6% and everything else is up double digits.  I'm still quite puzzled whether the film has good, bad, or indifferent wom - it seems at the worst it should have stayed flat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Wow didnt realize they had statistics for that. 

22 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

I am not old enough to remember a backlash free Star Wars release.

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Well that's not the ONLY reason it isn't breaking records. It also made less on the weekend than Force Awakens. What's the excuse for the weekend gross? Deadline idiots.

Anyway that data seems odd. So 30% were off Monday and 17% Tuesday. That is a strange pattern. I can't wait until next week so this discussion will end. The thing needs some absolutely unbelievable numbers to beat Avatar at this point.

Some schools particularly colleges give a day off between regular class days and first day of finals.

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

So you fee wom is not that good and it's not just fanboys?

I've spoken to enough people (non-nerds/fanboys who don't follow the movie scene religiously) to know it isn't just that.

My lovely love wife and I saw The Last Jedi opening day in the state capital (where you get all walks of life) at the local IMAX. Packed and a meat-and-potatoes crowd. A tad bit of laughter, no clapping, no cheering. Silence when it ended. They didn't like it. 

I'm all for kicking the fanboys in the balls and dismissing them for the idiots they are. But this reaction goes beyond just them. It's not the vocal minority these condescending and snobby think-pieces (many coming from people who are friends of Rian Johnson, mind you) are saying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Punishment said:

LOL, okay I'll remember to breathe :)

I think that's important. I know we like to PANIC because it's something to do, but the way the holiday calendar falls this year, it's way too early to pass any kind of judgment. It could have huge weekday grosses next week and the same people panicking today will be saying, "Wow, what a comeback! Everything's fine!"